Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sudden regular noise vibration coming from apartment neighbour

Options
  • 08-01-2017 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

For the past 48 hours, a constant noise has been coming from one of my neighbours (more than likely 1 or 2).
    Something makes noise for ~2.5 seconds, then is silent for ~10 seconds. This repeats infinitely.. Same timings all the time.
    As the apartments are the same as mine, I think I recognise the noise as being the same as the noise that is made when I turn my kitchen hot water tap past a certain point and then I hear a pump(maybe?)/something kick in. (This noise doesnt happen with cold tap)

As neighbours 1 & 2 (from diagram below) are in a different building which I don't have access to, it's not possible for me to just knock in and see what the story is.

I'm trying to figure out what could be the source of the noise(are there any appliances/something else which follows the timing cycle above (active for 2.5 seconds, silent for 10 seconds, repeating infinitely)

Any ideas?

Apartment layout. Me in apartment 3, sharing common wall with both 1 & 2, and different wall with 4.
    All apartments in diagram are on first floor with other apartments on floor above and below

diagram rendered correctly: storage2.static.itmages.com/i/17/0108/h_1483870353_3095439_549f524214.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

Are the toilets pumped? Could be a faulty fillvalve that keeps dripping water and causing the pump to kick on and off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭dennyk

Sounds like it's probably an auxiliary water pump. I have one in the hot press which provides higher water pressure to both bathrooms, and if it's left powered on it behaves exactly that way, switches on for a few seconds every ten or fifteen seconds. I assume it's keeping itself primed or something; if it's on when the shower or tap is in use in the bathroom, the pump just runs constantly until the water tap is shut off.

Don't know if the running every few seconds is normal for these sorts of pumps or is just because it's a cheap pump; could be there are more expensive ones that run only on demand, or are quieter. My pump is wired to a wall switch so I can shut it off to stop the annoying noise, at least. No idea if your neighbor's has a switch, but you could always go knock on their door and ask 'em if they could turn it off between showers or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The have a leaking tap or more likely a leaking toilet the valve in the cistern is not adjusted correctly or broken and the water is consistently being filled as it is going straight into the bowl.

They need to open the cistern and check that everything is in order or call a plumber

This will continue indefinitely until the source of leak is found

• Registered Users Posts: 4 noisey_feks

> Are the toilets pumped?
    - just checked..and the pump kicks in for the toilets

> if it's left powered on it behaves exactly that way,

Unless they changed the pump themselves, the one in my apartment/other apartments in complex don't do that.

• Advertisement

Hmm, noise has stopped for now.
    There is a switch to kill the pump so maybe they eventually got sick of the noise and figured out how to stop it..
    or else they stopped whatever they were doing that caused the noise in the first place.

I've figured out the numbers of the apartments in the next block (represented on diagram by 1 & 2) so I'll buzz them if the noise starts up again.

Thanks for all the help.
    Will update here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Denny_Crane

You might want to use their own best interest if they don't seem interested it fixing it. I've heard of people getting hit with four figure electric bills when things like pumps do haywire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

> if it's left powered on it behaves exactly that way,

Unless they changed the pump themselves, the one in my apartment/other apartments in complex don't do that.

It literally only takes a few drops of water for some pumps to keep kicking on and off. I imagine they have a very minor leak. One that isnt noticeable to their eye but enough to get the pump to keep turning on

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

newacc2015 wrote: »
    It literally only takes a few drops of water for some pumps to keep kicking on and off. I imagine they have a very minor leak. One that isnt noticeable to their eye but enough to get the pump to keep turning on
    Would this affect their electricity bill? If so, it may be a way to have them sit up and take note?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Caroline_T

OMG I had this for a year and a half! I am living about 5 years in the same apartment and in year 3 this banging (like a hammer) started, it was random at all different times of they day and night. But then it got really bad at night and it was waking me every hour. To cut a long story short, my landlord came in, went to the apartment next door, asked them to put on their showers/taps/toilets and we found out it was them or a water pump as it went mad banging, they weren't long living there. Their landlord got a plumber in and we were told its 'normal' banging :mad: I think I know what 'normal' noise is as i was living here long enough. So the banging must have went on for another year, I think my neighbors just didn't use water at night because it stopped at night thank god! Only in the last 3 weeks I am hearing nothing at all :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭EmoCourt

Hmm, noise has stopped for now.
    There is a switch to kill the pump so maybe they eventually got sick of the noise and figured out how to stop it..
    or else they stopped whatever they were doing that caused the noise in the first place.

I've figured out the numbers of the apartments in the next block (represented on diagram by 1 & 2) so I'll buzz them if the noise starts up again.

Thanks for all the help.
    Will update here.

Sounds like their pump needs to be replaced - seals are probably worne down and the pump is constantly kicking in. What will eventually happen is that the water will escape from the pump when your neighbours are at work and it'll flood their apartment and the apartment below. Those pumps are very expensive to replace (500+ euros), but it should be done before it floods the apartment. Pumps have a lifespan.

Advertisement