Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Plymouth Argyle, 1.30pm, BT Sports, FA Cup

1235»

Comments

Deserved draw for Plymouth.

Shocking game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

Sure they will and they might well win it, that's not what I'm thinking about though. Sometimes you have to take a long view its the League Cup ties and the PL matters this season and I'd prefer to allow the U23s play competitive against gnarled professional opposition and learn - the U23 League is no sort of development environment.

Take the long view? There's taking the positive and there's taking the mick.

Our master plan of getting more games for the kids has paid off so, happy days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Just shows how little respect the top clubs have for the FA cup. It's a waste of time at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If nothing else good comes of it, it might convince Klopp to spend in January because the kids aren't ready yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The unbeaten run at Anfield continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Great result, more games is good

It'll probably be the kids out again for the replay so won't make much difference but still another game we didn't need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

5starpool wrote: »
    Very Liverpool result.

Bit harsh when they have 13 points from the last 15 and second in the league. In fact it was a very not liverpool result

• It'll probably be the kids out again for the replay so won't make much difference but still another game we didn't need.

I'd argue klopp might field a stronger squad
    It will more likely be a mid week game also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The decision making in that game was horrific.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Unearthly wrote: »
    Klopp tactically out classed by Derek Adams there
    1 out of 10.

Needs to work harder.

He'll put out the same side I'd say. More or less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

SlickRic wrote: »
    The decision making in that game was horrific.

Couldn't believe that they kept going down the wings and crossing into the box. There was no height in the Liverpool team to aim for and the Plymouth defenders must have banging headaches now from all those clearances.

I suppose that's the kind of thing that will come with experience.

• He'll put out the same side I'd say. More or less.

Added negative of having to travel for the game midweek and less preparation for the important games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Can't believe MacManaman criticising Plymouth for not having more of a go. What did he honestly expect? That they would go all out attack? And end up being mauled. Ridiculous from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Replay will be after united game and before Swansea game so 3 parked buses in a row might give them some practice.

Would be nice to repeat the score line last season in the league cup at st Mary's on Wednesday night

• Advertisement

blueser wrote: »
    Can't believe MacManaman criticising Plymouth for not having more of a go. What did he honestly expect? That they would go all out attack? And end up being mauled. Ridiculous from him.

To be honest I thought they'd have a bit more of a go once they saw that they were playing a bunch of kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

A replay isn't much of a problem, really. At most, 4-5 first team regulars will be starting and most of those will not be in line to start many league games.

That team that started plus Sturridge should be enough to do the job in the replay.
    Only Can from that team would be a regular starter in the league team and Origi and Sturridge would be regular players.

Throw in Sturridge from the start and we probably would have won and I would expect him to start the replay, injury permitting:rolleyes:

It will have little effect on league form as most will be on the bench for league games or come in late in games.

• Only Can from that team would be a regular starter in the league team and Origi and Sturridge would be regular players.

Throw in Sturridge from the start and we probably would have won and I would expect him to start the replay, injury permitting:rolleyes:

It will have little effect on league form as most will be on the bench for league games or come in late in games.

I have detailed why it will effect you above. Travel, midweek fixture, less preparation
    All valid reasons
    No guarantee he will field the same side either unless he confirms it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Well done, Pilgrims. Absolutely dreadful effort by Liverpool.

It was a better watch than their game against Man City game. I agree with the poster above about the replay being a problem. Liverpool have a very busy January ahead of time. They didn't need this replay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

To be honest I thought they'd have a bit more of a go once they saw that they were playing a bunch of kids.
    It was never going to happen, let's be honest. They got what they went there for. An extra game, more money. You'll take care of them in the replay easily enough (assuming you're a Liverpool fan!). It's just the hassle of the extra game you can do without.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Red Kev wrote: »
    Plymouth at home will be well up for it though. Probably an evening kick-off, biggest team in town in decades, tight pitch, big noisy atmosphere....all the hallmarks of an upset.

Hmmm..

Sure they will and they might well win it, that's not what I'm thinking about though. Sometimes you have to take a long view its the League Cup ties and the PL matters this season and I'd prefer to allow the U23s play competitive against gnarled professional opposition and learn - the U23 League is no sort of development environment.

Some football fans can find logic for any scenario rather than criticising their own club.

Liverpool are not in Europe and there's no reason to not have a good FA Cup run. I don't think 2 week breaks in March and April is particularly good while other teams are playing cup games. Every other team in the top six has plenty of decent options to bring into their side when they want to rest a few players, and usually it doesn't interrupt the normal style or flow of the team too much. Today Liverpool looked like they weren't bothered and there wasn't much chemistry between the players that came in and those who are usually in and around the first team. On occasions this season Liverpool have lacked urgency and almost accepted results because they run out of ideas when playing this kind of opposition. It was very poor and there is no excuse for it.

Plymouth were dreadful too for the first hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

That was pitiful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

You could argue that if it was a championship team

This is a league two team and a replay will be far more important than putting in an exciting performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

That game had nothing to do with Plymouth playing particularly well. They didn't even defend that impressively. They mainly just blocked long shots and made clearing headers from ordinary crosses.

The players just shat their pants in the final 3rd.

No calm head.
    No experience.
    No nous.

You can blame the age of the team, but that's still poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

All things considered, one of the worst games of football ever.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

niallo27 wrote: »
    Bit harsh when they have 13 points from the last 15 and second in the league. In fact it was a very not liverpool result

We've had a good few struggles against lower league opposition in recent years (without losing many) when we play the second string. We've gone to replays/extra time/penalties a few times, more than any other of the biggest clubs, hence it was a very Liverpool result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

5starpool wrote: »
    We've had a good few struggles against lower league opposition in recent years (without losing many) when we play the second string. We've gone to replays/extra time/penalties a few times, more than any other of the biggest clubs, hence it was a very Liverpool result.

Its not just a liverpool thing. It happens to most teams when they play their 2nd string. The young lads mixing with players that they have developed zero chemistry with is a recipe for 10 behind the ball to be an issue. An early goal changes everything but if you don't get one then its tough.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Its not just a liverpool thing. It happens to most teams when they play their 2nd string. The young lads mixing with players that they have developed zero chemistry with is a recipe for 10 behind the ball to be an issue. An early goal changes everything but if you don't get one then its tough.

I'm not even that annoyed though, one of those things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sure look at Soton, played a weakened 11 for the same reason Liverpool did and got held.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

Great result. Gives the kids another outing against better calibre opposition than they're used to. An opportunity for them to prove if they're up to it or not.
    I don't see the downside tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement