Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sterilised bottles when out and about

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Sterilise the bottle before you go out. Have the rear facing inwards..
    I found a small amount of water I a sealed bottle (as above) put in the microwave for 30 seconds did the job. The water evaporates and sterilises the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Assets Model

I filled bottles with boiling water after sterilising them and brought powder in those powder dispensers. They were cooled down by the time i used them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I filled bottles with boiling water after sterilising them and brought powder in those powder dispensers. They were cooled down by the time i used them.

Ah another bottle makeing thread... :D
    The method above is not the ideal way to do this. Powder is not required to be sterile. This is why you should only ever add it to hot water, to sterilise the powder.

In order, here are the preferred ways to make up formula in bottles
    Method 1) Boil water, let it cool to 70 degrees and make 1 bottle up  every time for your baby.
    Method 2) Boil water, let it cool to 70 degrees and make up 24 hours worth of bottles for you baby. Cool them down, into the fridge. Stick them in a cooler bag if you are going out for a long period of time. 

The method with adding sterilized powder to water is not advised or endorsed by any body. Not by hospitals, and not by the formula manufacturers themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

pwurple wrote: »

Ah another bottle makeing thread... :D
    The method above is not the ideal way to do this. Powder is not required to be sterile. This is why you should only ever add it to hot water, to sterilise the powder.

In order, here are the preferred ways to make up formula in bottles
    Method 1) Boil water, let it cool to 70 degrees and make 1 bottle up  every time for your baby.
    Method 2) Boil water, let it cool to 70 degrees and make up 24 hours worth of bottles for you baby. Cool them down, into the fridge. Stick them in a cooler bag if you are going out for a long period of time. 

The method with adding sterilized powder to water is not advised or endorsed by any body. Not by hospitals, and not by the formula manufacturers themselves.

Those sterliser bags for for when you are camping, or in outer mongolia and have no access to hot water for 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

When out and about I tend to bring made up bottles in a little cozy thing that keeps them cold.

If I'm going for longer or as a back up plan I bring empty sterilised bottles and unopened 200ml bottles of ready made formula. They're sealed so I don't have to worry about them being too long out of the fridge. This is also handy because I can leave it ready to go in the nappy bag so I don't have to scramble around before leaving to go somewhere.

When I'm spending a few days somewhere I bring one of these:
    (bought in Tesco) and use it to sterilise bottles one at a time. I mostly just use it in the microwave, but there is the option to use milton with it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Bottles will stay sterile once closed for up to 24hrs so just sterilise a bottle or 2 (depending on how long you'll be out) & bring a carton or 2 of ready made formula.
    When baby is hungry pour the formula in the bottle & you're good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

Thanks guys for the responses that makes sense I'll just bring sterilised bottles with the tops on and cartons of premade formula. Thanks!

Advertisement