Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost 13kg in a year

• 08-01-2017 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

I lost 13kg last year using my fitness pal. I went from 88kg to 74.5kg within the year (9 months to be specific). I did this simply by eating 2000 calories a day and running.

It's the lowest adult weight I have reached. However, I noticed I wasn't able to run as frequent as I would of like too and my energy levels dropped, so after further research I discovered I wasn't eating enough.

Sometimes at the weekends I would exceed 2000 calories and it wasn't uncommon to eat 5,000 calories on a day off. Therefore my weight fluctuated a lot, for example, this Xmas I gained 5kg.

So my objective is to eliminate my weight fluctuation. My plan is to lose the 5kg in the next fortnight, and then increase my calorie intake.

I have been advised to replace every mile ran with 100 calories. If for instance, I run 18 miles a week, I have a calorie deficit of 1800 which I should divide up throughout the week, which means I should be eating about 2300 a day.

Is this about right?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A mile is about 125 calories for an 80kg man. Eating back all of these calories is probably counterproductive toward weightloss.
    Eating back some will help with energy goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

JoeyPeeps wrote: »
    So my objective is to eliminate my weight fluctuation.

Surely the way to do this is to stop binging on weekends and holidays? Eat consistently and you'll have consistent weight. I don't see how eating to replace calories burned during exercise will help - your problem was your weight spiking upwards from overeating, not spiking downwards from starving yourself.

You have low energy when you're in calorie deficit; the body doesn't like it, it has to tap into fat reserves instead of accessing easy energy from food. Once you're at your ideal weight you then eat maintenance and you shouldn't have low energy any more. I know I've heard people say they have loads of energy when fasting or losing weight but I've always felt a slump when I cut - just the nature of the beast for me.

Other things can contribute to low energy though - do you sleep well?

EDIT: Also, 5kg in two weeks is a pretty drastic speed at which to lose weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

How do you expect to go from losing 13kg in 9 months to losing 5kg in 2 weeks?

If you're still eating 5k+ calories a day it signals a more fundamental problem. You need to see this as a lifestyle change, not something you do until you reach "the end".

Advertisement