Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick City Car Insurance quotes much higher than the rest of the country

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

testicles wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

But I bet you could insure a DERV BMW of the same power or more no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

But I bet you could insure a DERV BMW of the same power or more no problem.

Apples and oranges. Hot hatches have traditionally attracted higher insurance premiums than diesel tractors due to their fondness with thieves.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Apples and oranges. Hot hatches have traditionally attracted higher insurance premiums than diesel tractors due to their fondness with thieves.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/watch-moment-keyless-bmw-stolen-from-driveway-of-dublin-home-34668315.html

Plenty of articles out there about hot hatches being stolen too. Hot hatches have always drawn higher premiums so this isn't anything new.

Again, it comes down to "I'd love to see the stats but ..."

I suspect the insurers are the only ones with the granularity to separate "fiesta st" from "fiesta lx".

• Advertisement

Well as insurance is mandatory in order to drive, they probably feel they are not required by law to prove how they arrive at their figures despite being asked nicely by the Government who want to look like they are tackling the issue. Doesn't help the OP in the short term though.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

Thanks for the response and discussion, but I would like to clarify that my problem is not in getting reasonable insurance (my renewal with AnPost was fairly reasonable), but that I was just drawing attention to the huge bias that Liberty Insurance had against Limerick city. Other insurers that I did a similar smaller study on did not show the same bias, at least not to the same degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

**hurler32 deleted his post. Doing the same here.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    **hurler32 deleted his post. Doing the same here.

There was a certain kernel of truth in there all the same under all the drama. But the issue of "professional claimants" needs to be tackled without unduly* punishing genuine cases.

*Without punishing them at all in my opinion but this is Ireland, the people will always suffer for big business.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If there's easy money out there, people will take it. Need to get the gardai adequately equipped to combat insurance fraud. ANPR should be able to check insurance and licence status, presumably tax too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭homingbird

Did YOU try Allianz as my brother inlaw was getting mad Quote's from all other insurers . He was looking to insure a 04 diesel Octavia has high as 1300 euro broker was giving him 3rd party with allianz for 700 he got a quote online from them for 430 3rd party. Broker told him they had a deal with insurer ( allainz ) that they would not give lower quote than broker. So if you dont shop around you wont get the deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,523 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mr E wrote: »
    My renewal is due this month and my car has passed the 10 year old mark.
    17 years driving with no claims, but that stands for nothing. I'm dreading my quote...

Just FYI I got my renewal yesterday. Up from €430 to €650. Not a complete disaster, given the fact that most premiums have gone up considerably in price since this time last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Mr E wrote: »
    Just FYI I got my renewal yesterday. Up from €430 to €650. Not a complete disaster, given the fact that most premiums have gone up considerably in price since this time last year.

Can I ask who from? Mine will be 11 years old this year but have gotten lucky that the insurance has remained under a grand. Had it with FBD who originally quoted me 840e after AXA hit me with an increase and then FBD hit me with a 400e increase before Christmas so went back to AXA who quoted me 900e so probably gonna be looking for another insurance company when AXA hit me with an increase when it comes to renewal time.

Advertisement