Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satanic coin on Aran Mór, found 1981

Options
  • 08-01-2017 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

70DjL73.jpg

In February 1981 I was on Inis Mór with students from Limerick College of Art. There is a round stone fort but I cannot remember the name. The inner steps up to the battlement had a stone out of place so one of the students lifted another one next up to even things out. The coin was found under the stone.

The find had an unsettling effect on the group. The local parish priest said he knew nothing about it but said there was rumours of nocturnal goings on in the ringforts in the 70's.

Before the evening was out, a student took the coin and tossed it into the sea. It has stayed in my mind ever since. Today I did an image search and recognised the coin in the image I have linked. This coin and others like it were found in Danish churches in 1980's.

I am not religious but I am curious and wonder has anyone else come across these things.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Don Imac2

maccored wrote: »

Thanks for your link. I have searched further and it does get interesting.

Apparently, the entire complex of events was the creation of a single man, Knud Langkow (1931-2004), an anonymous office clerk tending the phone lines at the National Gallery of Denmark (Statens Museum for Kunst). In the final installment of the feature, Langkow’s niece matter-of-factly admits to everything – this is what Knud was like, she states, he was an eccentric. To the dismay of his mother, her uncle have kept the largest prank in Danish history alive in his free time by planting objects, writing letters, and distributing coins since the early 1970s.

Sadly Knud Langkow took his own life in 1984 at the grave of his recently deceased partner.

I still have no idea how the coin found it's way to Inis Mór.

This is a photo of Knud Langkow, the man responsible for this hoax.

ello-hdpi-d68ffd53.jpg

Advertisement