Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best scope on a budget

Options
  • 08-01-2017 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

I went and bought myself a .308 Rifle for hunting.
    I am looking for a budget scope to suit it.
    As everyone knows scopes can be from 100's to 1000's.
    It was hard enough to get the rifle by the wife so I have to keep it as cheap as possible.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

Bushnell makes scopes that are hard to beat for their price. So to does Nikon and Burris.

Leupold makes great scopes, undoubtedly, but are pricey. Have a look at Redfield scopes - the budget Leupold.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭RossiFan08

If it's a target rifle I would suggest a vortex, I have two and they are very good. However if it's a stalking rifle you want to be spending as much as possible on a scope. The extra money goes towards the coating on the lenses.

The better the coating the more light transmission and the longer you'll be able to shoot, which makes all the difference when stalking.

Don't be afraid to go second hand either. I have a second hand S&B on my rifle and it is much better than the vortex at low light even though there is 12+ years in the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I'm a Bushnell man having had over 20 thru my hands and on my sons and my own rifles over the years.
    I have the 4200 elite 6-24x50mm tactical models on my 308 and 223 both bought second hand @€;400, They can be got cheaper now I'd say.
    For the 308 I would not go less than the 3200 models.
    I also like the MilDot recital and a scope with target type turrets.
    Hawk look to do good scopes if you go for the dearer models.
    I have never paid more than €400 for any scope, I'm not a believer spending big money on a scope. And second hand can get you a good scope for small money.

I would always go for scope with a larger objective lens for more light to get thru for a brighter view and 30mm tube for more clicks over the recital.

Also go for a scope with a good bit of zoom on it. X12 minimum IMO, better to be looking for more zoom and have it when you need it. so a minimum scope would have 4-12x50mm for your 308 IMO.
    And this is where better optics count. The higher zoom you go poor optics will start to show their weaknesses.
    I also use the cheap mounts from anywhere. E-Bay at £20 are OK for me.

Best to save a bit more money to get the better scope than buy sh!te and have to replace later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

clivej wrote:
    I'm a Bushnell man having had over 20 thru my hands and on my sons and my own rifles over the years. I have the 4200 elite 6-24x50mm tactical models on my 308 and 223 both bought second hand ;‚¬400, They can be got cheaper now I'd say. For the 308 I would not go less than the 3200 models. I also like the MilDot recital and a scope with target type turrets. Hawk look to do good scopes if you go for the dearer models. I have never paid more than €400 for any scope, I'm not a believer spending big money on a scope. And second hand can get you a good scope for small money.

What's your opinion on the bushnell banner 6-18x50 Clive?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

One of my mates have that exact scope, he says it's a very good scope for the price.. bushnell are great scopes for the money

• Advertisement

One of my mates have that exact scope, he says it's a very good scope for the price.. bushnell are great scopes for the money

What Caliber has he got it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

What Caliber has he got it on?

Has it on a 223 for foxes for lampung etc, I'd say it would be fine for deer, but with scopes the more you pay the better.. also make sure you get a good pair of scope mounts something like warne etc..

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sniperman

mate of mine might be selling his burris fullfield 6.5-20x50,if interested,think he wants around €200,very good scope,as lads here would agree im sure,ill know by wednesday.there are new med hawke mounts with it,but they will only fit a weaver/picatinny rail.

sniperman wrote:
    mate of mine might be selling his burris fullfield 6.5-20x50,if interested,think he wants around €200,very good scope,as lads here would agree im sure,ill know by wednesday.there are new med hawke mounts with it,but they will only fit a weaver/picatinny rail.

Let me know please

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

Same As just bought a 243 deer rifle have about 400/500 for. Scope but not sure whether to buy new or look for a good second hand the permissions I have I would only be shooting out to 200 yards And in low light anyone see any gun stores selling trade in scopes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sniperman

Let me know please

sure, ill know by wednesday.;)

Not for your 308. I have 2, one on my 10/22 other on the 38spl Lever action. Wrong recital and front objective parallax adjustment.

Deleted Facebook and while ago haha, what Make and model is it if you don't mind

Any ideas?

Is the scope for use in general or are you going to have a particular concentration?

Will it see most work at the range, in the field, dusk, dawn?...

FISMA. wrote:
    Will it see most work at the range, in the field, dusk, dawn?...

It's will almost never see range work, I have a rifle for that, This is a deer hunting rifle exclusively

This is a deer hunting rifle exclusively

Have you permissions that support mid-range distances? That is, outside of 300ya?

I have a permission that has a lot of action, due to a quagmire over which we shoot, at 300-450ya. Fortunately, there is a cavity block wall we sit by that acts as a rock steady rest. We routinely take deer at 350ya and have pushed out to 450ya. All the time with a 3-9x40mm Burris E1.

I have hunted a lifetime on 6x, usually, inside of 200ya, and some well inside of 100ya. Deer are big targets that need little magnification. Most of the lads I know shoot a 4x vari and all of the lads that taught me shoot a fixed 4x, on smaller permissions.

If you can, get a big bell, 50mm, or better yet, 56mm. 4-16x50mm would be nice but 4-12 will be more plentiful.

An issue with the bigger magnification is that you lose the field of view. Another is that, at longer ranges, big mag can cause problems with mirage.

A 5-20 would be ideal, but it is not as popular as the 4-12, which often comes with a 40mm or 44mm bell. I think Zeiss makes a 5-20 scope.

I was selling a Vortex Crossfire and Diamondback. I was disappointed with the Crossfire in low light. My 40mm Burris was far better than the 50mm Crossfire for low light transmission.

That said, the Crossfire makes a great scope on the 10/22 at the range. Lot's of nice features for an inexpensive scope.

I liked the Diamondback better and may try it before the end of the season.

Don't worry too much about 30mm vs 1". Just because the tube is bigger doesn't mean the lenses are.

You may wish to shop by reticle. Some reticles just jump out and click with your brain. Others just confuse you.

You may wish to sacrifice the 50mm bell for a 40mm, if funds are tight, opting for more magnification.

Lastly, I like my scopes to be as close to optical center (not clicked much) as possible and to have my preferred shooting mag right in the center of the mag range. Thus, if you like to shoot 8x, get a 4-12 scope and such. I like to shoot 6x, thus, the 3-9 range is perfect.

Just my $0.02

FISMA. wrote:
    Have you permissions that support mid-range distances? That is, outside of 300ya?

One of my lands Is 110 acres but fairly flat, I think I'll go for a 150m zero, will look up them scopes, Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

One of my lands Is 110 acres but fairly flat, I think I'll go for a 150m zero, will look up them scopes, Cheers

If you plan to use 150gr bullets (if your rifle likes them) such as Federal Power Shok SP (I use 100gr SP .243) then I would recommend a 200 yrd zero. Depending on your scope height this would have you approximately 1.5 - 2.0 inches high at 100 yrds. This in turn means you have a PBR out to approximately 250 yrds, in other words if you point and shoot out to 250 yrds your bullet will rise and fall no more than +2 and -3.5 inches. If chest shooting this will place a round in the vitals within touching distance all the way out to 250 yrds. If your confident and conditions allow you will neck shoot comfortably and consistently @ 150 - 200 yrds with out having to think twice about bullet drop.

All of the above, although based on sound knowledge and information, is only theoretical until you put rounds onto paper at those ranges. Get out and shoot at 100, 200 and 300 yrds and get a real world view of your bullet drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

Cheap ends up as expensive in the long run ,go for a fixed 8 Smith and Bender Hungarian off the stalking directory 300 sterling should get ya something nice

• Advertisement

Smith and bender 8 x 56 fixed powered scope excellent low light scope if your not pushed about a variable Patrick Carly in Wexford has them new for around 650

Smith and bender 8 x 56 fixed powered scope excellent low light scope if your not pushed about a variable Patrick Carly in Wexford has them new for around 650

Advertisement