Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teacher feeling burned out

Options
  • 08-01-2017 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi folks, I'm a post-primary teacher who qualified in 2011. I've been lucky enough to always have had work teaching my subjects and got my CID about 2 years ago.

The problem is that I'm not sure I want to continue being a teacher. I've lost a lot of my enthusiasm for the job and feel somewhat burned out.

When I consider changing careers, however, I have absolutely no ideas as to what options are available to me.

Has anyone else gone through something similar? Or left teaching to follow a different career path?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

I didn't want to read and run but I could have written your post with the exception of having a CID (Still chasing that). I share your feelings and I'm sorry that I have no decent advice to share as regards other career prospects.

What I have found helpful is planning my "out"... by this I mean my plan B. I have researched and created a business plan and am currently saving to be able to finance my idea (also saving for a mortgage so this is a long term rather than short term plan ).

Funnily enough ever since I have put this plan in place I feel more settled... i still cant see myself fulfilling 40 years service but I can see myself facing school again next September, whichis a lot better than the attitude I had last year

In the short term good planning practice also helps (go in early and come home late if you need to) but keep weekends free. Weekends are for relaxing, rest and doing whatever it is that you want to do.

Hope some of that helps you. It helped me in the short-term anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

What are your subjects? Some lend themselves to lots of other areas - e.g. English could be a good basis for publishing, broadcasting, journalism etc. Would you consider lecturing if it is a shift rather than a complete change you are looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 EDDARD STARK

God I could of written this. No CID unfortunately, but subbing. Thinking the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 teach432

I'm in the same boat. Losing my love for this job everyday. There's only so much fighting against a relentless tide of disinterested, unmotivated kids that I can put up with.

Respect for those colleagues who have been at it for decades. Don't think I'll ever make it in the job long term. 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Grueller

I am not a teacher. I have said in another thread here that I am a counsellor working specifically in addiction services. Often it is the negativity of others around you, colleagues, clients and superiors that get you down. I was the same in my job when employed by the hse. I left it and set up a private counselling business. I now do work on contract for the hse and it is completely different. I also offer private services and some voluntary work to not for profit addiction clinics and groups.
    What I am trying to say is that getting away from the routine grind to having a more flexible working life that I am in charge of has rejuvenated me. I still do the same work but love it again rather than that being a chore every day.
    I don't know if it is easy to do similar in teaching or not, but you have a cid so I presume a career break is a possibility? Plan an alternative and as a 2010 graduate you are probably free enough of commitment to be able to gamble for a year.
    Best of luck with your decision, but remember that being really unhappy in work often leads to huge problems, both mental and physical. It is a cause of a lot of problems I see in my work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Grueller wrote: »
    I am not a teacher. I have said in another thread here that I am a counsellor working specifically in addiction services. Often it is the negativity of others around you, colleagues, clients and superiors that get you down. I was the same in my job when employed by the hse. I left it and set up a private counselling business. I now do work on contract for the hse and it is completely different. I also offer private services and some voluntary work to not for profit addiction clinics and groups.
    What I am trying to say is that getting away from the routine grind to having a more flexible working life that I am in charge of has rejuvenated me. I still do the same work but love it again rather than that being a chore every day.
    I don't know if it is easy to do similar in teaching or not, but you have a cid so I presume a career break is a possibility? Plan an alternative and as a 2010 graduate you are probably free enough of commitment to be able to gamble for a year.
    Best of luck with your decision, but remember that being really unhappy in work often leads to huge problems, both mental and physical. It is a cause of a lot of problems I see in my work.

Hi

Any chance I can pick your brain regarding how you went about offering private contract to HSE?

Advertisement