Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sole Trader And Limited Company?

Options
  • 08-01-2017 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I set up a side clothing business with a friend as a limited company.

But, I am also looking at setting up as a sole trader in the electrical business.

Is it possible to be both sole trader and a director of a limited company?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Yes that is fine. I wonder about your reasoning though. Do you need a limited company?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Well we went with the limited for the clothing company as we have financial overheads, whereas, in the other business I'm looking at setting up my costs will be low.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Digital_Guy

hunter164 wrote: »
    Well we went with the limited for the clothing company as we have financial overheads, whereas, in the other business I'm looking at setting up my costs will be low.

I'd look at how much you envisage making as opposed to what your costs will be, as a way of deciding whether you need to set up a limited company. I'd be inclined to work together for a while first at least. Plus I'd be cautious about setting up a business with a friend, although I am sure it could work out great.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Yes that is fine. I wonder about your reasoning though. Do you need a limited company?

Sure if there is at least two involved in the clothing business then it makes sense to form a company because it eliminates the risk to their personal assets in the event of the business failing. Lot more paperwork involved as opposed to sole trader though id imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Digital_Guy

Sure if there is at least two involved in the clothing business then it makes sense to form a company because it eliminates the risk to their personal assets in the event of the business failing. Lot more paperwork involved as opposed to sole trader though id imagine

As per the above, it really depends on how big the business is going to be in the early stages. If you are turning over hundreds or low thousands, then it might not be worth setting up a company for a while. It's not a trivial process, requires regular reporting and filing and costs a bit to dissolve as well (if needed). Plus it could be good to work together informally for a short while first at least.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The first thing I would ask is how much the business is generating and how much the two owners need to live on. Probably off topic for this thread though.

Advertisement