Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get started in SEO

Options
  • 08-01-2017 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Can anybody tell me how you go about starting a career in SEO. What skills should I know, what software should I start using.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jenearl

It's a pretty broad topic to address, so some more specific details would help, such as how much experience/knowledge you have already, whether you plan to be self-employeed or work for an agency, etc.
    Assuming you're just getting started, though, this guide on optimising SEO content is great start. I found that it breaks down what's important for well-optimised SEO content in a clear way, I hope it helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 alexhardy

There are a lot of factors. First of all, you have to be a confident pc user, be able to analyze, have patience and perseverance. You must be constantly up to date with the latest trends, etc.It's best to look for vacancies, and understand what is required of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

I knew next to nothing about SEO a month ago so I have started reading here:

www.blackhatworld.com

It can be pretty daunting but I have learned a hell of a lot in that time, one step at a time and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Mr.S wrote: »
    ??????????

Nothing you say here is true.

--

OP there are lots of ways to get started in SEO, jumping into a career in SEO is further down the line.

Lots of help on the Internet, while it doesn't go into advanced territory, HubSpots 30 day guide is a great start, it's well written and easy to understand:

https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/increase-seo-traffic-planner

The Moz guide is also quite good:

https://moz.com/beginners-guide-to-seo

Create your own website (free wordpress and buy a cheap .com) with limited content based around a theme (a hobby is good!) and jump right in.

In terms of 'software' (which really are online tools) you should get very familiar with:

Google Keyword planner
    Bing Keyword Planner
    Google Search Console
    Google Analytics
    Google Trends (longer research)

And then there are lots of other tools that will help you with ever-day planning & optimisation:

SEMRush
    Have a look around Moz.com they have lots of tools and SEO related trends.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SEO/ is also handy to browse.

Great info here. Thanks for the Reddit link. Would have never looked there.

I find SEORoundtable/Webmaster World good for keeping up with trends, as well as following various people in the industry on Twitter.

I'd add Screaming Frog to the software list. Free upto 500 pages (I think) and is about £100 per year for unlimited pages. Great to help find errors on your own site.

SEMRush is expensive but really good. It also does a lot more than Screaming Frog but Screaming Frog is excellent...and cheap.

Matthew Barby from Hubspot has a great screaming Frog tutorial on YouTube.

This will also come in very handy: http://www.seerinteractive.com/blog/screaming-frog-guide/

Just to add Yoast tutorials/blogs are also excellent.

Personally, I'd avoid Black Hat World. I'm sure there are some good bits of info there, but there's also lot of dodgy stuff too that'll get you in trouble with search engines, long term. .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

Personally, I'd avoid Black Hat World. I'm sure there are some good bits of info there, but there's also lot of dodgy stuff too that'll get you in trouble with search engines, long term. .

Yep, true, all the blackhat stuff is dodgy. As I said I'm a beginner there is a ton of information on white hat, affiliate sites, success stories, etc.

The stickies are great too. There is so much to absorb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Digibeo

Analysis paralysis ;)

Would defintely recommend looking into Neil Patel, Gotch SEO, Alex Becker, Backlinko and to join facebook groups so you start to get immersed in what is talked about and what really matter!

Advertisement