Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Positioning is fine. I'm guessing the occasional light rub against the frame, with leggings on, has very gradually over time has rubbed against the clear coat on one side. Could be something else.

Anyway, any tips would be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Brian? wrote: »
    I’m doing the lottery tonight. I went to take off the BB and that was actually loose. It hadn’t been installed properly, so I tightened it up and it’s smooth as butter.

Mint!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

glasso wrote: »
    Damaged a rim on the front wheel of a road bike with an interaction with a kerb

Wheel that came with the bike - lower-end fulcrum model so not a valuable wheel

Have seen videos of people using an adjustable spanner to bend it out or would I be likely to make a balls of it?

Any idea how much a repair might be?

wu08kMI.png

egXTvjV.png

wlDfGn4.png

Good luck with that, let us know how it goes. I would buy a new wheel myself

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Thanks Cram.. I wouldn't know a good bike from a bad if it sailed through a red light* and hit me. I just want something to jaunt around on in the fair weather, yes I'm one of those fair weather cyclists.

What distance are you looking to cover? is it flat or hilly? Is it rural or urban (amount of stop starting)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

How best to check a carbon bike for damage post an accident?

The cyclist in front of me somehow went down suddenly yesterday and I was boxed in with a wall on the left and another cyclist on the right. We both tried to swerve right to avoid hitting him but his bike slid right and I couldn't avoid it so ended up going over the top and hit his bike and the deck myself. No major visible damage done to the bike and I got away lightly enough with a few bruises and scratches to my arms and legs as I somehow ended up coming down on my own handlebars.

I got back on and cycled home fairly slowly and the bike feels ok but given I ploughed into the bike in front I'm a bit worried in case there is any damage done to the front forks. The front wheel seems to be spinning fairly true and the forks look fine to me but I'm guessing I should be doing more than an untrained visual inspection and should drop it into the LBS for them to give it the once over?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

your problem is a typical local bike shop probably won't stand over a visual inspection (well, i'd be wary about trusting one which did) - you'd need to x-ray it to be sure.
    a bike shop would be very wary of passing off a frame as OK if there's hidden damage, and they could end up being held responsible for any subsequent damage/injuries.
    but there are carbon repair places which should be able to assess for you.

54and56 wrote: »
    How best to check a carbon bike for damage post an accident?

The cyclist in front of me somehow went down suddenly yesterday and I was boxed in with a wall on the left and another cyclist on the right. We both tried to swerve right to avoid hitting him but his bike slid right and I couldn't avoid it so ended up going over the top and hit his bike and the deck myself. No major visible damage done to the bike and I got away lightly enough with a few bruises and scratches to my arms and legs as I somehow ended up coming down on my own handlebars.

I got back on and cycled home fairly slowly and the bike feels ok but given I ploughed into the bike in front I'm a bit worried in case there is any damage done to the front forks. The front wheel seems to be spinning fairly true and the forks look fine to me but I'm guessing I should be doing more than an untrained visual inspection and should drop it into the LBS for them to give it the once over?

I don’t think you can check, short of an X Ray.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

I don’t think you can check, short of an X Ray.

Feck, don't suppose (given the growth in carbon frame bikes) that there is a bike x-ray facility anywhere in Dublin?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the bike shop in greystones do carbon repairs IIRC - best bet is to search 'carbon repair' on the forum here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Front derailleur is a triple chainset and recently when you drop to the smallest one the derailleur rubs off the tire

There are two screws on it - can you tell me which one to adjust to stop it moving too far in towards the tyre?

• Advertisement

are you sure the wheel/tyre is centred properly?
    if the FD itself had moved its lower limit, you would also probably be seeing chain rub where there had been none before.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Not specifically a bike repair question, but here goes - I washed my Garmin Heart Rate Monitor strap the other day, it was working perfectly up until then.
    The 520 + now "finds" it, but loses it almost as quick. I have tried changing the battery, just in case, but it's just the same.
    Is there something you have to do to the contacts, or the parts where it touches skin after washing it??

Thanks in advance.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Front derailleur is a triple chainset and recently when you drop to the smallest one the derailleur rubs off the tire

There are two screws on it - can you tell me which one to adjust to stop it moving too far in towards the tyre?

I would suspect the problem isn't the derailleur limit, as MB said, check that your rear wheel is centered correctly.

If the derailleur was that far out of whack, I think the chain would drop off when you shifted to the smallest cog.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think the 5G is messing with my head at this stage (still feeling ropey post vaccine at the weekend), but "28 inch" wheel should fit a road bike? Looking at Dyno "trekking" wheels for the commuter/ audax bike?

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I think the 5G is messing with my head at this stage (still feeling ropey post vaccine at the weekend), but "28 inch" wheel should fit a road bike? Looking at Dyno "trekking" wheels for the commuter/ audax bike?

700c at 28inch are almost exactly the same

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

The ETRTO (European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation) rim size for road/gravel bikes, hybrids and 29'er MTBs are all 622mm.

The inch sizes are measured to the outside of the tyre, which obviously vary greatly, which is why things get confusing:

28" (today's road/gravel/hybrid) are 622mm
    27" (old english road bikes and tourers) sound like they should be smaller, but are actually a bigger rim size - 630mm
    28" (but not that 28" - old english roadsters & dutch-style bikes) are bigger again at 635mm
    29" (modern MTBs) are actually only 622mm, like road bikes' 28"/700c, but the big tyres means they are called 29'ers

Where possible, don't bother with inch sizes, always confirm with the ETRTO size.

Thanks, I was pretty certain, but Bill Gates had taken control...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I would suspect the problem isn't the derailleur limit, as MB said, check that your rear wheel is centered correctly.

If the derailleur was that far out of whack, I think the chain would drop off when you shifted to the smallest cog.

It did

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

54and56 wrote: »

I'm going to go against everyone here, if its a crash you walk away from and there doesn't even appear to be a paint chip on the frame, if it was me, I would be happy to use again. Riders crash in races all the time and get back up on the bike with nary a worry. All you need to know is the choice is yours but if it was mine, I wouldn't think twice about it.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I'm going to go against everyone here, if its a crash you walk away from and there doesn't even appear to be a paint chip on the frame, if it was me, I would be happy to use again. Riders crash in races all the time and get back up on the bike with nary a worry. All you need to know is the choice is yours but if it was mine, I wouldn't think twice about it.

I completely agree. My point earlier was that a LBS giving it a once over is no more use than doing it yourself. It’s probably grand though.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

CramCycle wrote: »

The right answer is probably somewhere in the middle I’d say.
    If I was running carbon bars, stem and wheels,
    I would be wary.
    If not, a good visual inspection and, if possible, a second opinion from someone in the know would give confidence.

When I crashed, I had my LBS look at it - they put it on a jig to give it a thorough visual inspection? It was enough for me to be happy, but cost more than just a once over. It was the old Harry's before the change of ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I hit a car about six weeks ago. Smashed both shifters, bent a bottle cage, and bike was thrown across the road. Carbon frame and fork didn’t have a mark on them. Replaced the shifters, new bar tape and bikes as good as new.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I hit a car about six weeks ago.
    mod note - you were in a collision involving a cyclist and a car about six weeks ago. the driver was unhurt.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

mod note - you were in a collision involving a cyclist and a car about six weeks ago. the driver was unhurt.
    Sending thoughts and prayers!

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

Sending thoughts and prayers!

And hugs.

NEVER forget the hugs.

Oh wait. There's a pandemic. NO HUGGING, EVERYONE!

Not a question, but a general maintenance comment:

Decathlon own brand degreaser is unreal. Takes off grease like nobodies business and leaves little or no residue as it's high on solvent content. I wouldn't use it inside though.

they/them/theirs

it's high on solvent content. I wouldn't use it inside though.
    because you'd be high on solvent content too?

Exactly.

Now I've nothing against solvent abuse, but i had to drive this afternoon.

I save huffing paint thinners for the weekends.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Iah2g98.jpeg

Advertisement