Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've got my first set of hydraulic brakes/shifters, however, they are set up continental style, and one needs to be routed internally.

How messy a job is it disconnecting them from the caliper or shifter and routing it through? I feel like it's one for the LBS, but would like to have some of it done before bringing it there, though won't be much as I cant remove the pressfit BB nor, can I fit the replacement

Weepsie wrote: »
    I've got my first set of hydraulic brakes/shifters, however, they are set up continental style, and one needs to be routed internally.

How messy a job is it disconnecting them from the caliper or shifter and routing it through? I feel like it's one for the LBS, but would like to have some of it done before bringing it there, though won't be much as I cant remove the pressfit BB nor, can I fit the replacement

How does the rear hosing route though the frame, is it from a hole on the right side? Might leave it a little on the short side if you move it to the left break perhaps?

How does the rear hosing route though the frame, is it from a hole on the right side? Might leave it a little on the short side if you move it to the left break perhaps?

Yup, there's a hole in the frame for it to pass through. It's from a bigger frame so I should be okay(I hope)

So switching hoses around while theyre off the bike was mostly trouble free. I say mostly as I didn't prepare for the likelihood of the reservoir spilling out brake fluid when I removed the covers.

Anyway, I think the rear will be fine to be cut, but the front one might now be too short.

Anyone know if you can get a junction/connector thing for SRAM hydraulic cables. I know you can for Shimano, but not sure about SRAM

A connectamajig or stealthamajig I think it's called if it's the part I think you're talking about.

• Advertisement

A connectamajig or stealthamajig I think it's called if it's the part I think you're talking about.

Looks about right. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Weepsie wrote: »
    So switching hoses around while theyre off the bike was mostly trouble free. I say mostly as I didn't prepare for the likelihood of the reservoir spilling out brake fluid when I removed the covers.

Anyway, I think the rear will be fine to be cut, but the front one might now be too short.

Anyone know if you can get a junction/connector thing for SRAM hydraulic cables. I know you can for Shimano, but not sure about SRAM

I'm in the same boat having just bought a bike from nilhg which is the wrong way round (or the right way round if you're nilhg!).

Bear in mind that if you cut the cable you'll have to refit the cable insert which is a bastard to get in. I also imagine you'll have to get a bleed kit and add fluid. AFAIK if the cables are fitted with the connectamajigs you can swap them around without needing to cut anything or re-bleed. However you wont get the cables through an internally routed frame in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭1971bsb

Can anyone reccomend good YouTube videos for setting up SRAM Red and Force groupsets - manual, not electronic. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Is there an easy idiot-proof way to slightly tighten the bite point on hydraulic disc brakes? Shimano ST-7020. Bike is fairly new but I've been doing a lot of descending steep enough slopes on the brakes. Feels like to fully squeeze the brakes the lever is pretty much touching my bar tape. I saw something online about removing wheel and trying to advance the pads or something but that sounds messy. There's no simple minor adjustment screw thing somewhere I haven't spotted is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭crumliniano

Does anyone know how to loosen campagnolo brake calipers so they will open wider? I can't find any youtube videos on this. I have new wheels and the chorus calipers with new brake pads are too tight, the wheel won't even rotate. I've released the cable fully and adjusted the barrel adjusters but they just don't open enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Does anyone know how to loosen campagnolo brake calipers so they will open wider? I can't find any youtube videos on this. I have new wheels and the chorus calipers with new brake pads are too tight, the wheel won't even rotate. I've released the cable fully and adjusted the barrel adjusters but they just don't open enough.

You do it by pushing the pin on the brake lever.

https://youtu.be/4AU8aOlfXU4

07Lapierre wrote: »
    You do it by pushing the pin on the brake lever.

https://youtu.be/4AU8aOlfXU4

Thanks o7Lapierre. I'm familiar with the quick release pin alright. That opens the calipers wider for dropping out the wheels - give a few mm extra clearance to get around the tyre. In this case it is so tight that it is tight against the rim (braking surface). I need it to open out further.

Thanks o7Lapierre. I'm familiar with the quick release pin alright. That opens the calipers wider for dropping out the wheels - give a few mm extra clearance to get around the tyre. In this case it is so tight that it is tight against the rim (braking surface). I need it to open out further.

When you disconnect the brake cable, does the caliper open wider?

When you disconnect the brake cable, does the caliper open wider?

No not wide enough. Still clenched on the braking surface

That’s unusual. Maybe post a photo or two? Is it possible the caliper needs to be disassembled, cleaned, greased and reassembled?

How wide are your wheel rims?

FWIW I figured a hack - I removed the washers between the caliper arm and the brake block. Gave me just enough clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Alright folks.

My bike is on the go a couple years. Done at least 5000km.

Outside of cleaning it, replacing pad, keeping the gears indexed and brakes right.

What else should I be doing?
    I lube any moving parts: derailleurs, brakes, pedals.

Do i need to grease the head?
    I've replaced 1 brake cable, rest seem good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,558 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, cleaning the headset would be a good idea. do you occasionally take out the seatpost, clean and regrease/repaste it?

Alright folks.

My bike is on the go a couple years. Done at least 5000km.

Outside of cleaning it, replacing pad, keeping the gears indexed and brakes right.

What else should I be doing?
    I lube any moving parts: derailleurs, brakes, pedals.

Do i need to grease the head?
    I've replaced 1 brake cable, rest seem good.

Gear shift cables...I'd replace those,as they tend to fray inside the shifters. If they do, getting the cables out of the shifters can be a pain. I'd replace the complete cables (inner and outer casing).
    What about brake pads and tyres?

yeah, cleaning the headset would be a good idea. do you occasionally take out the seatpost, clean and regrease/repaste it?

Ah yeah. Seatpost comes out any time the bike goes in the wife's car.

• Advertisement

Gear shift cables...I'd replace those,as they tend to fray inside the shifters. If they do, getting the cables out of the shifters can be a pain. I'd replace the complete cables (inner and outer casing).
    What about brake pads and tyres?

Tyres are good. Although got my first puncture in 4 years the other day.
    Has new pads lately.

Shifter cables probably a good shout

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Tyres are good. Although got my first puncture in 4 years the other day.
    Has new pads lately.

Shifter cables probably a good shout

I’d recommend taking the rear up apart and greasing the wee thangs (the name escapes me now). As someone else said, clean and grease the headset bearing.

I would replace consumables like cables or pad unless they show wear.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    I’d recommend taking the rear up apart and greasing the wee thangs.

The rear up?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭cletus

I'm going to guess he's talking about the rear derailleur and jockey wheels

The rear up?

Rear hub. Sorry, auto correct

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    Rear hub. Sorry, auto correct

Ok, so adjusting my guess, the thingamajigs are the pawls :D

cletus wrote: »
    Ok, so adjusting my guess, the thingamajigs are the pawls :D

That’s the wee thangs alright.

they/them/theirs

Cheers lads
    Now I'm afraid this one is beyond my experience

Are we talking about opening up the rear hub altogether?

You could, it's not overly complicated, but beware of the not so old phrase, "If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,558 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you'll need a special cassette removal tool to do that.

Advertisement