Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Maybe drop it into a shop or go to a mate for a check over.

Sounds like things just need tightening up etc.

All very do-able if you're interested in getting some tools and tackling it yourself..Post again if you need advice for same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

I can do it myself, without crank tool is impossible. I try to source it tomorrow and after having got some rest, I attempt to do the check over.

My 1st experience with a 2ndhand bike, I've certainly different standards to the 1st owner. (I bought this from the 2nd keeper, who didn't use the bike at all after he had bought it.) What it's strange to me: how the locknut work itself loose on the rear axle, it has 2 different thru axles (Cube rear, Never..something branded front), and a bottom bracket play.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Got my bike serviced lately, and they had warned me that the back wheel hub was a bit worn out. On my ride today, the red part i'm touching wobbled free of the hub. Is the back wheel dead, or was something just not tightened correctly?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

What did they do in the service? I wouldn’t expect them to service the wheel hubs, but maybe they did and didn’t tighten it properly. I doubt the wheel is dead. The part most likely to die are the bearing and I don’t think this would the result

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

They re-greased the bearings and I think replaced the bearings themselves (it's not a cartridge bearing wheelset)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is that just a dust cap?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anyway, red card for still having the pie plate there.

I got alarmed because there is grease behind it, but maybe it's nothing 😳

what make/model is it? should be possible to find an exploded diagram of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Can you install the axle fully forward into the dropouts? - then it has nowhere to go when the chain pulls it forward

• Advertisement

Ah ok. Well then they did a poor job of replacing that cap. Every type of wheel is different, some just pop in and some are screw in. I’d say they put too much grease in and it popped off. I’d bring it back to them.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Sure this must have been asked before, but the search function is gone to $hite

Am I mad trying to fit a child seat to a road bike with 700 x 25 tyres? Was looking at the front mounted Thule Yepp Nexxt Mini.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,650 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Would imagine it’d make the bike extremely twitchy and front heavy, probably not too safe for the little one either, nor comfortable for yourself as the front facing seats are designed for city bikes with a more upright position

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

BB-RS500, I guess it's a new bb time? What could have caused this? Overtightening or defective material? Is there better b I can upgrade to or this is fine?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

This is a great thread, thank you all for the info, it is really helpful to someone new to bike maintenance like me.

I'm bringing an old mountain bike back to life and I have something weird - the cable for the rear derailleur is cutting the corner just behind the pedal chain wheel and rubbing off the tyre. Is there something I can bolt on to guide the cable away from the wheel?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Has the cable come out from a guide (possibly when last replaced)?

as above - what does it look like from underneath? is there a 'socket' for the cable to run through on the underneath of the chainstay?

Underneath the bottom bracket there is a guide but this looks like its located square to the frame

There isn't a socket for the cable on the bottom of the chain stay - are there ones I can buy to bolt onto the chain stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

A couple more pictures might help clear up the issue, bur I'd be pretty sure that cable isn't routed properly

• Advertisement

My phone is acting the maggot posting pictures so please bear with me

And the guide on the underneath of the bottom bracket tubing

Tyre is too wide, weird.

they/them/theirs

yes, that just looks like a badly designed bike rather than something actually broken. you may need to bodge a cable guide onto the chainstay to keep the cable clear.

Is there guides made for this job? I've tried googling random names like "add on wire guide to bike " but nothing is coming up to purchase, what name do I need to put in? (If such a thing exists !)

Are they the original tyres (or at least the same width as the original?)

Back story to this bike is; its an old bike someone was throwing away. I had a hybrid for six or seven years and never rode the hybrid as I always felt the tyres were too skinny under me. I feel happier cycling this one even though it needs work

When I got the bike I decided to get new tyres, tubes and pedals fitted by the local bike shop as they've been very helpful to me in the past. I did ask for the biggest tyres possible as I just prefer having chunky tyres under me - just my preference, it'd be boring if we all had the same 😁

That might be the issue, so, as Brian said, tyres are too wide

not that i'm aware - hence my use of the word 'bodge', unfortunately.

it's a very poor design though, there's not a lot of point in having nicewide chainstays if the cable doesn't also follow that design.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Could you use a length of cable housing which has been fixed to the chainstay using a few cable ties?

Advertisement