Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

site_owner wrote: »
    Which brings me back around to "i dont want to be doing this on a freezing cold morning" :)

I think I'm definitely settling on a cheap second hand hybrid that will get dragged out of the shed when needed

Why?

Get some cheap fulcrum racing 7's, 19mm internal width so fine for everything down to 28c

Don't buy a **** cheap bike for a winter spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Cheers, its a contend sl 1 disc 2017. Ive got 35mm marathons onto it as a test, but just want to be able to swap wheels on any icy day rather than messing around with tyre changes. I'm also looking for a second cheapcheap bike as an alternative to spare wheels

Run wide tyres all the time. They're just as fast as narrow and much comfier.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

What are the exact measurements for crank arm clamp bolts for 6800?

I need to get stronger ones as I keep rounding the current ones changing the power meter crank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

my bike is a giant road bike, with 700c wheels and disc brakes. currently has an 11-speed rear cog.
    the wheels are PR2

i cant figure out what i need to buy (wheel + hub + rotor + cog ?) so that i have a spare set to swap out.

Our bike shop has a used pair of PR2's with discs and rim tape on them - I'll check a price if you're interested. You'd need a cassette and tyres and tubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Type 17 wrote: »
    Our bike shop has a used pair of PR2's with discs and rim tape on them - I'll check a price if you're interested. You'd need a cassette and tyres and tubes.

Yes, thats not a bad idea, let me know what they would cost

• Advertisement

Will do, but we’re not back until the 2nd Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ItsLikeThis

Had a car hit me on my side, I think the end of the handle bar took most of the hit. I managed not to fall thankfully. It's an aluminium mtb... should I have it checked for damage by a professional? No visible damage that I can see.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Had a car hit me on my side, I think the end of the handle bar took most of the hit. I managed not to fall thankfully. It's an aluminium mtb... should I have it checked for damage by a professional? No visible damage that I can see.

All most professionals will say to you is they cannot stand over anything involved in a crash (but that you are probably grand). Probably good to get in writing for the insurance company if thst is the route you are going down.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

If insurance are involved and no-one will stand over the frame it will probably be written off. If the bike cant be certified safe then potential liability then lies with the insurance company if it fails at a future as a result of damage from this accident.

A few hundred euro now vs a potential personal injury claim in future from their POV.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

I just bought my first set of wheels: I was quite proud of myself as part of the process involved learning how to remove the cassette and the brake rotor from the old set. Everything was going fine but the new wheels came with a different lockring for the rotors, apparently the hub is configured for the "campagnolo lock ring" (https://bikedepot.com/product/campagnolo-disc-lockring/) while what I had was the standard shimano center-lock lockring. Fortunately the wheels came with a stock cheap-looking lock ring : is there an adapter or any way to use the shimano one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

dahat wrote: »
    What are the exact measurements for crank arm clamp bolts for 6800?

I need to get stronger ones as I keep rounding the current ones changing the power meter crank.

https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/shop/mountain/mountain-titanium/m6-titanium-bolts/

You should have a job rounding off titanium bolts!!

thinking it would be handy to have a spare set of wheels for my bike, with bigger winter tyres for bad weather days.

what i cant figure out is what type of wheel to buy. are they all the same or difffernt by bike type?
    id like to buy second hand when i see a cheap set come up but i cant even figure out are the options

my bike is a giant road bike, with 700c wheels and disc brakes. currently has an 11-speed rear cog.
    the wheels are PR2

i cant figure out what i need to buy (wheel + hub + rotor + cog ?) so that i have a spare set to swap out.

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭S_D

Looking at a new wheel set and really dont know much about different wheels to make a decision!

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/zipp-404-carbon-wheels/20675352 <- Older Zipp

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/mavic-cosmic-carbone-slr-front-wheel-clincher/20685584 <- Cosmic SLR

This would be using for TT. Ideally just looking at fronts only, but would a better wheel be the older Zipp or something like that Cosmic? Or is it much of a muchness?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

keep in mind that if you *do* buy a back wheel, the zipp is listed as a 10 speed one.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭S_D

keep in mind that if you *do* buy a back wheel, the zipp is listed as a 10 speed one.

Thats ok , I run 10 spd

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i may be proving my own thread title wrong here, but was musing on the way in - what bike components could you clean in the dishwasher?

the salt will be a big limiting factor - but cassette and chainrings, anyway? jockey wheels too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

i may be proving my own thread title wrong here, but was musing on the way in - what bike components could you clean in the dishwasher?

the salt will be a big limiting factor - but cassette and chainrings, anyway? jockey wheels too?

I've put cassette, crank, chainrings all in the dishwasher. A rinse and a spray of something like WD40 is essential after though. I'd have no problem sticking brake calipers in either, once they get lubed after

I’ve put most of a group set in a dishwasher before - minus the bottom bracket - and everything came out sparkly and clean. No issues at all. Made sure it was dry and lined after.
    Also put a pair of shoes in there one time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I fear it would be hazardous to my health to wash bike parts in the dishwasher - and I don't mean residue left on my coffee mug...

Seven Worlds will Collide

I fear it would be hazardous to my health to wash bike parts in the dishwasher - and I don't mean residue left on my coffee mug...

I was stung with the brake calipers of an old car in the dishwasher, prepping them for rebuild :o It did not end well for me

• Advertisement

I was stung with the brake calipers of an old car in the dishwasher, prepping them for rebuild :o It did not end well for me

Car brakes would be full of brake fluid which is good for braking but will destroy 99% of anything else it comes into contact with.
    Bike parts are just generally dirty and greasy.
    I washed my parts in the dishwasher and made sure I had time to run it again, empty, before the boss came home to see what I was up to 😜

Car brakes would be full of brake fluid which is good for braking but will destroy 99% of anything else it comes into contact with.
    Bike parts are just generally dirty and greasy.
    I washed my parts in the dishwasher and made sure I had time to run it again, empty, before the boss came home to see what I was up to &#55357;&#56860;

To be fair they were stripped to nothing and had been cleaned, the dishwasher gave them an extra clean, the only fluid in the would have been residue on the piston or in the piston housing. I was prepping them for paint and rebuild

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Dear lord, I am going to get in so much trouble when I try this.

there was me thinking it was just a funny jokey question.

In my early teens (1985), I stripped the axles and freewheel off a pair of yellow-but-filthy Skyway Tuff II BMX wheels and put them in the dishwasher when my mum was out. Got them out before she came home, and she never knew.
    The wheels looked amazing, but were just as dirty a few months later...

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

We might be dumb and useless in many things (I would have to argue with that btw...), but male's creativity to get things done with minimal effort cannot be beaten :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

In my early teens (1985), I stripped the axles and freewheel off a pair of yellow-but-filthy Skyway Tuff II BMX wheels and put them in the dishwasher when my mum was out. Got them out before she came home, and she never knew.
    The wheels looked amazing, but were just as dirty a few months later...

I'm more shocked that you had a dishwasher in 1985, I was the dishwasher in my house well into the late 90s!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I tried it once with cobblelock bricks that had been stained by an engine oil changing incident. They came out lovely and clean but the dishwasher rack wheels used to crunch on residual sand for months afterwards...

we have a winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

darconio wrote: »
    We might be dumb and useless in many things (I would have to argue with that btw...), but male's creativity to get things done with minimal effort cannot be beaten :pac::pac:

This sums it up.

Advertisement