Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭Plastik

Make sure you're putting it back together in the right order - you tighten the top cap for bearing preload before you do up the stem bolts on the steerer. BTW if the bearings are shot you may never get the play out of them. Roll the bearing between your fingers, it should be silky smooth, if you can feel any roughness it's time to change.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's in the right order but spacers can be rotated as can the oring.

Might have done the preload and bolts in wrong order though so went back at it and still no such luck.

Might have another crack at it. I can order a new one and just throw that in possibly but maybe best to leave it to lbs as I want this bike to be on the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

My rear disc brake is honking like a goose when i brake. What is causing this and what can i do to stop it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

contamination or the pad is not aligned completely flat to the disc.
    as it's the rear, i suspect contamination first, cos it gets more crap thrown at it than the front disc does. your best bet it to take the pads out and try cleaning them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Had another go and gave up. Bearings were a bit rough on second look and although I could get them out from the bottom one, I couldn't get the cage out so couldn't give it the full clean.

I at least gave it a thorough go myself before giving up. If I'd been able to get them both out I'd have just bought new ones and thrown them in to see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Alek wrote: »
    If it pulls the RD, it may be the freewheel mechanism locking and tensioning the lower part of the chain.

Does it happen exactly when pedalling / applying pressure, or rather when you stop turning cranks for a moment?

When / how does it unblock?

But then it would most likely drop the chain off the front, as the top part of the chain gets loose.

As soon as I get off the bike, it seems ok again.
    Locked up the back wheel entirely today - controlled skid. No harm done, but would be ugly at high speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Weird. No further ideas I'm afraid... Long shot - a broken axle? Is there a lateral play in the wheel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

No...they are oldish wheels (Swisside Gotthards), but are perfect, no wobble or any weird stuff.

Will put on different wheels and see if that fixes the issue. Thanks, Alek!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭Plastik

Re the chain, is the chain routed correctly through the jockey wheels? How are the jockey wheel teeth profiles, is the chain slipping off to the side of one and jamming in the cage?

You mentioned previously that the wheel didn't lock and now it has, that's odd alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

An incorrectly routed chain would produce a horrible grinding noise straight away. Been there done that ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Getting new Jockey wheels for my rear derailleur. Is there a difference between ones for SS and GS cages (Shimano 5800). Not sure why there would be but just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

No difference in cage-length, but when you get the replacements, note that there are two different pulleys in the pack - the tension pulley goes at the bottom, the one marked guide or Centron-G goes at the top. They may also have direction arrows, as the teeth have profiles for best shifting, once they've been fitted correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Ive just started to do some simple maintenance and can index etc but I am having a real headscratcher with my rear derailleur. With the cable detatched I cannot move the derailleur by hand to the highest gear. It sits in the middle of the cassette and wont budge. Hanger isn't bent and the derailleur has no more than 3000k on it so shouldn't be damaged or worn. I can move to the lowest gear by hand without issue.
    Any ideas that doesn't involve the LBS as Ive a 122km spin on Saturdayand I'm running out of time to get it in to them. I'm determined to fix it myself anyway!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

check the limit screws on it? one might be screwed in too far.

check the limit screws on it? one might be screwed in too far.

I did some tweaking on that but I always thought they were for minute adjustments. I'm talking another 5 gears higher that I am unable to move to.

I presume that you’re pedalling while you push the derailleur by hand?

Type 17 wrote: »
    I presume that you’re pedalling while you push the derailleur by hand?

Yep I'm not that daft!

Don’t be offended, you’d be stunned what people don’t realise that they don’t know about bikes ðŸ˜ðŸ˜‰

If it’s not the limit screws, did the derailleur take a knock recently?

No offence taken! No it Def didn't and its not so long I did the indexing and it was grand. I've had no knocks or spills since

have you taken the chain off for the purposes of testing?

• Advertisement

No I havent removed it. I have taken off the derailleur and cleaned and lubed it again

• Registered Users Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

not that more gears are better, but if a bike has less than 21 say will the lowest tend to be fairly similar across most ranges of bikes, for example below (Merida)?

Chainset FSA Tempo 53-39 teeth

Derailleurs Shimano Claris, 16 speed

Cassette Sunrace, 8 speed, 12-25 teeth

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

that's a fairly tough lowest gear. not a bike you'd be taking up the mountains regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

that's a fairly tough lowest gear. not a bike you'd be taking up the mountains regularly.

it would need to get me up that hill outside Enniskerry to Glencree at least :pac: , ok good to know, so safer to stick to 21ish to be assured of an easy low gear

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

The highest and lowest will typically be the same regardless of number, just the gaps between gears bigger the less you have.

That merida spec you posted strikes me as odd for a claris group set. Those are normally for entry level bikes and you'd expect to see something like standard compact or sub-compact 50-43 and 28 or 30 - 11 on the back.

many bikes would be sold with a 50/34 and 11-28 - giving a low gear of 1.21; and that would not be particularly low, some people would go to 30 or 32 on the back, if they bike was specifically going to be used a lot in the mountains.
    a low gear of 39 to 25 (as on the bike above) is 1.52, which is quite a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Gasco

Hi
    Just moved to Ultegra 11 speed after many happy years on the 10 speed version.
    Have used Wipperman chains for a number of years with no issue, so decided to stick with what I know. Have an Absolute Black small ring that is just not meshing correctly with the chain, the chain works ok with the big ring.
    Overall the chain is quite noisy on this set up, if the limit screws are not perfect on the rear der there is poor meshing there also.
    Anyone using this combo - experience similar issues with this set up??

thanks

G'co

are you sure the small ring is not worn?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Gasco

are you sure the small ring is not worn?

Sorry, should have said, new chain, rings and cassette.

• Advertisement

statto25 wrote: »

No I havent removed it. I have taken off the derailleur and cleaned and lubed it again

So turns out the derailleur was shot. New derailleur and a new cable along with a lighter pocket means I'm back in action for the Fondo tomorrow.

Advertisement