Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

cletus wrote: »
    Only asking because the recommendation with torque wrenches is always that the measurement you want shouldn't fall at either end of the scale or the wrench, but close to the centre. (I'm sure you know this already, just chit chatting)

I would tend to agree with cheaper tools. The Teng tools I would be happy to use from 6nm up. I tested my 3/8 vs a Snap-On digital torque wrench (Drool) and it was spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

on my back brake, one piston seems to be moving a little more freely than the other.

Never taken the caliper completely apart, but changed the oil once or twice. Pistons are not moving exactly the same on all 3 that I have, but it improved slightly when I've flushed the whole thing (from outside) with WD-40. It does not give me any functional trouble now so stopped thinking about this......

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

How often do you clean and re grease your headset bearings?
    Is it a good idea to do it to a new bike that was used a few times a week all over the winter?
    I want to avoid a problem I had with another bike where the bottom Headset bearing was badly corroded and stuck in the bearing cup. The bike was 4 years old and it was the first time I had looked at the bearings. The bearing fell apart but the bearing race was corroded and stuck solid and I couldn't shift it. In the end my lbs got it out with some difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I use Teng Tools, lifetime warranty on them

Have you a link to the torque wrench you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Have some 60mm deep carbons on the road bike currently and have been toying with the idea of latex tubes. Biggest presta valve I can find is 60mm deep. I always use 80mm deep on the normal tubes and have a decent bit to attach onto. Anyone with 60mm deep wheels know if a 60mm presta would be long enough?

I use 60mm presta valves on Vittoria latex tubes on 40mm deep carbon clinchers and have approx 30mm of valve showing, I’d say you could be pushing it with 60mm wheels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

rayman1 wrote: »
    How often do you clean and re grease your headset bearings?
    Is it a good idea to do it to a new bike that was used a few times a week all over the winter?
    I want to avoid a problem I had with another bike where the bottom Headset bearing was badly corroded and stuck in the bearing cup. The bike was 4 years old and it was the first time I had looked at the bearings. The bearing fell apart but the bearing race was corroded and stuck solid and I couldn't shift it. In the end my lbs got it out with some difficulty.

Any advice on this please?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'd like to say once every six months, but I guess once a year. Also depends on how much the bike has been used and in what conditions. It's not really a long job though, I did it recently with one bike and it took less than 15 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

I’d have to say never. I have one bike which is seven years old with 25,000km on the clock. It gets used year round sometimes in filthy conditions and it’s good so far. I may come to regret my negligence. I tend to be good at bike maintenance generally, but where headsets are concerned I have history. I remember trying to grease the bearings of a threaded headset years ago and the bearings escaped all over the kitchen floor. I tend to be a bit wary as a result.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Also can depend on whether the bike has mudguards. Obviously the bearings are a bit better protected at the bottom of they are sheltered from the crud being thrown off the wheel.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Never had a carbon frame and seatpost before. Do I need to put carbon paste on or if it holds without it, I can just leave as is?

CramCycle wrote: »
    Never had a carbon frame and seatpost before. Do I need to put carbon paste on or if it holds without it, I can just leave as is?

Some of this is best, especially if you don't run mud guards

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/muc-off-carbon-gripper/rp-prod115119

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

It should work fine without, once you use the correct torque (more important than using paste or not).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

CramCycle wrote: »

Like the guys have already said, it should be fine without once it isn’t torqued out of spec, I think the paste is more important when one part is carbon and the other is Alu/Steel.

That being said, I always use the paste for any carbon parts, but that’s cause it’s so cheap, Halfords sell it now for around €3 a tube!

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Like the guys have already said, it should be fine without once it isn’t torqued out of spec, I think the paste is more important when one part is carbon and the other is Alu/Steel.

That being said, I always use the paste for any carbon parts, but that’s cause it’s so cheap, Halfords sell it now for around €3 a tube!

Carbon paste is primarily to give carbon parts additional grip. I use it on seatposts and stems (with carbon bars and steerer) You can get away with a lot less torque when it’s used.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

padyjoe wrote: »
    Any idea how to get this screw out? Its head snapped off, I didn't even notice for a while. Or keep riding with 1 screw?

I feel like it's not worth the hassle, it's upgrade time for something sleeker like A530 or XT M8020. Using these on a roadbike.
    Thanks!

This looks like a nice candidate for a Dremel tool. If you can get your hands on one, cut a slot in it with a grinding disk just wide enough for a flat head screwdriver. Then use the screwdriver to take it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FENaL7fWFLM

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Not exactly maintenance but looks like this might be the right thread for a noob question. I have a cateye velo wireless computer that does average speed, distance etc but not cadence. I want to upgrade it to one where I can keep an eye on my cadence also.

Can anyone recommend me the cheapest, easiest unit to set up that will do the job (presume it's possible to get wireless)?

keane2097 wrote: »
    Not exactly maintenance but looks like this might be the right thread for a noob question. I have a cateye velo wireless computer that does average speed, distance etc but not cadence. I want to upgrade it to one where I can keep an eye on my cadence also.

Can anyone recommend me the cheapest, easiest unit to set up that will do the job (presume it's possible to get wireless)?

You'll pick up a Garmin Edge 500 on ebay second hand for €30-40 or cheaper and you'll need to get a Ant+ (wireless) cadence sensor to go with it.

Or if your not in any real rush, you can get the computer, speed/cadence sensor and bike mount from Aliexpress for around €35 inc delivery.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wireless-Bicycle-Computer-Bike-Speed-Cadence-Sensor-Meilan-M4-speedometer-can-connect-Bluetooth-4-0-ANT/32905435736.html

Select Option B

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

You'll pick up a Garmin Edge 500 on ebay second hand for €30-40 or cheaper and you'll need to get a Ant+ (wireless) cadence sensor to go with it.

Or if your not in any real rush, you can get the computer, speed/cadence sensor and bike mount from Aliexpress for around €35 inc delivery.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wireless-Bicycle-Computer-Bike-Speed-Cadence-Sensor-Meilan-M4-speedometer-can-connect-Bluetooth-4-0-ANT/32905435736.html

Select Option B

Thanks very much, feck it for the price difference I think I can stand to wait a couple of weeks for the Aliexpress version - hadn't even thought of looking there. Appreciate the help.

• Advertisement

why is it that every time i take skewers off a wheel, i end up putting the springs on the wrong way around?
    i've done that the last three times in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

why is it that every time i take skewers off a wheel, i end up putting the springs on the wrong way around?
    i've done that the last three times in a row.

Now I'm paranoid I've done the same

well, if your experience is like mine, you'll be wondering why you can't get the wheel back on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

How often should you change the chain? I'm up at 8000km on it and there's a bit of a miss when i pedal.

Google is telling me anytime between 3km and 8km.

probably shot if it's 8000km in unless you were using it primarily in dry weather and keeping it well lubed. if it's badly shot you may have worn out the cassette too.
    you can get a chain wear checker in halfords for under a tenner.

probably shot if it's 8000km in unless you were using it primarily in dry weather and keeping it well lubed. if it's badly shot you may have worn out the cassette too.
    you can get a chain wear checker in halfords for under a tenner.

Cheers MB.

Used in all sorts of weather over the last year. Got it serviced twice and cleaned too.

I'll bring it into the LBS this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

It'll be badly shot if it's got 8000km on it - you may also need a front chainring or two.

It does depend on how many sprockets on your cassette - more means a thinner chain, which wears out faster.

My "good" bike has an 11-speed drivetrain which costs a bit to replace (Chainreaction lists the cassette and large chainring at around €180), so it's cheaper for me to change the chain early - here's my notes on chain replacements since I got the bike last July - I'm still on the (new-looking) original cassette and chainrings - (note how soft the Shimano original chain is):

Chain / km's done / wear when changed / (km's per chain) / Lube used
    Shimano 8000: 0-250 -0.60% (250km) MucOff Hydro Dynamic
    SRAM 1130: 250-1,200 -0.55% (950km) MucOff Hydro Dynamic
    SRAM 1170: 1,200-2,200 -0.60% (1,000km) MucOff Hydro Dynamic
    SRAM 1130: 2,200-3,330 -0.60% (1,130km) Smoove Universal
    SRAM 1170: 3,330-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Type 17 wrote: »
    It'll be badly shot if it's got 8000km on it - you may also need a front chainring or two.

It does depend on how many sprockets on your cassette - more means a thinner chain, which wears out faster.

My "good" bike has an 11-speed drivetrain which costs a bit to replace (Chainreaction lists the cassette and large chainring at around €180), so it's cheaper for me to change the chain early - here's my notes on chain replacements since I got the bike last July - I'm still on the (new-looking) original cassette and chainrings - (note how soft the Shimano original chain is):

Chain / km's done / wear when changed / (km's per chain) / Lube used
    Shimano 8000: 0-250 -0.60% (250km) MucOff Hydro Dynamic
    SRAM 1130: 250-1,200 -0.55% (950km) MucOff Hydro Dynamic
    SRAM 1170: 1,200-2,200 -0.60% (1,000km) MucOff Hydro Dynamic
    SRAM 1130: 2,200-3,330 -0.60% (1,130km) Smoove Universal
    SRAM 1170: 3,330-

You have my mind made up on ever going 11 speed!

How are you measuring wear? A lot of those chain tools overestimate.

Attached is a 10 speed tiagra crankset with 50k km or so. 34 is original and 50 is still good but removed when I moved to its 3rd bike at put on a 42.

Chains lasted a minimum of 5k and up to 9k.

As you can see I'm not too fussy with cleanliness although chain in photo is lubed.

As you can see I'm not too fussy with cleanliness although chain in photo is lubed.

Sweet jebus, how can you leave your bike in such a state??? If my bike gets mucky during a spin, I hose it down immediately afterwards. I couldn't possibly put it back in the garage in a state like that :pac:

• Advertisement

That's like someone had a dirty protest on your bike!!! :eek:

Advertisement