Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

If you're taking the compression plug out I'd recommend taking the steerer out and inspecting the headset bearings.
    A known weak point they don't use standard bearings. It probably should have been inspected if it was a full service but I know many mechanics don't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

There is significant play between the fork and the headset on my bicycle.

All bolts are tightened to spec. The handlebars are rigid.

I have attached a picture showing where the play is visible.

It is noticeable when I hold the front brake and move the bike and also when I pick the bike up and place the front wheel back down - there is a travel of what feels like 3 - 5 mm.

Any advice?

I fixed this issue.

Problem: my top cap was not sufficiently tight.

Solution: Tighten top cap.

I am a moron. Thanks for the replies and tips.

tuxy wrote: »
    If you're taking the compression plug out I'd recommend taking the steerer out and inspecting the headset bearings.
    A known weak point they don't use standard bearings. It probably should have been inspected if it was a full service but I know many mechanics don't bother.

There is fresh grease visible where the bearings are seated so it looks like they did in fact inspect it. That's encouraging at least!

There is fresh grease visible where the bearings are seated so it looks like they did in fact inspect it. That's encouraging at least!

Interesting, if the went to the trouble of greasing them they would probably have spotted if they were in poor condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Out of curiosity who serviced it for you?
    Find it worrying that some people cant do/arent bothered doing a basic bolt check and tightening.

• Advertisement

Tony04 wrote: »
    Find it worrying that some people cant do/arent bothered doing a basic bolt check and tightening.

We don't know what the problem is yet. How do you know what they did or didn't do?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, they didn't spot a loose headset on a bike being dropped in for a service.

Tony04 wrote: »
    tuxy wrote: »
    We don't know what the problem is yet. How do you know what they did or didn't do?
    well, they didn't spot a loose headset on a bike being dropped in for a service.
    Not to knock the thread off-topic but for full disclosure and transparency:

I live near Canyon HQ in Germany and I sent it to them for a service to see what it would be like. Obviously as the bike is shipped in a box it requires basic disassembly and reassembly. This particular issue was 100% my fault because upon reassembly I did not sufficiently tighten the top cap. The bike is otherwise in fine condition. I am pleased with how it feels and they replaced my rear derailleur hanger for free.

I will never get the bike serviced at Canyon again for another reason - it was a 4 week turnaround because of an administrative error on their side. Basically my bicycle was logged as ''returned'' in their system when in actual fact it was still sitting in their warehouse. Long story short, after lots of back and forth, I had to beg them (literally, I can show you the email) to double-check on my bike and once they'd discovered their cock-up I had the bike back in 24 hours as I'm only up the road.

So just as loose top cap?

Glad you got it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

Morning all, so i have a new bike with a matte finish on the frame. I had a frame with this type of finish before and used baby wipes to keep it clean and it worked well. But looking for suggestions off others that have a matte frame of what they use to keep the frame clean? and also do you polish/wax the frame and if so what do you use? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

burger1979 wrote: »
    Morning all, so i have a new bike with a matte finish on the frame. I had a frame with this type of finish before and used baby wipes to keep it clean and it worked well. But looking for suggestions off others that have a matte frame of what they use to keep the frame clean? and also do you polish/wax the frame and if so what do you use? Thanks.

Light or dark colour?

On cleaning, I can't say I ever found baby wipes to be particularly good. They'll only get the paint relatively clean on a surface level, but if it's a light colour matte and you inspect very closely you can see that it almost appears to be dirt ingrained in the paint that no rubbing with wipes, or wipes and WD40, or microfibres and WD40 would remove. The best thing I've ever used for cleaning the paint down properly is a regular wash to get all the dirt off, then a clean bucket of warm-soapy water and a magic-sponge.

No polish or wax. You've to be careful with a matte finish because you can buff a shine onto the paint that you won't be able to remove. Muc-off do a matte detailer spray. Have it, use it, can't honestly say that I notice the slightest difference afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Is there something as half-assed and as easy as using baby wipes that doesn't use plastic every time? I only use two or three, even washing the bakfiets, but it would obviously be better to use none.

Half-assed is good enough for me and lack of will power and of time mean that at least I can clean the bike frequently, rather than rarely but well.

Using old t-shirts dipped in soapy water made with a bit of soap powder? I don't want to have to hose the bike after. I just want to wipe it clean.

My bikes occasionally do get complimented on how clean and well maintained they are, but I suspect that's because most people clean their bikes almost never and they're not looking that closely at mine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Standard kit for me is some old kitchen sponges, old toothbrushes, and some old t-shirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Is there any protective finish on the matte paint from the factory? If not something like

https://www.drbeasleys.com/matte-paint-coating.html?utm_source=Behind-The-Detail&utm_medium=blog&utm_campaign=matte-dos-donts

might be useful. I know it's for cars, but similar concept.

Definitely don't use wax or anything that's likely to polish the paint, as it won't stay matte for long

niggly little issue i'm facing at the moment. i borrowed an old set of single sided SPDs from Weepsie over a year ago (with the intention of buying new and returning Weepsie's!) and they need a little TLC.
    but i can't get at the nut to disassemble them - i can't get a socket in at it because the cage of the pedal is in the way, and a normal spanner won't go in because the nut itself is recessed.

508389.jpg

How is the cage attached?

If you had an old socket that you were willing to sacrifice, you could cut it down with an angle grinder to fit, then turn it with a vise grips

Inelegant, but might work. Will continue to think about this one...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Would have to see the full pedal bit I feel you have to remove the cage as well,

I might find an old spanner and grind it so it fits. The cage is held on by four Allen bolts but I think one is seized. Will just spray it with light oil and leave it to penetrate.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Would have to see the full pedal bit I feel you have to remove the cage as well,

This. I've been thinking, and looking, and the only proper solution is that the cage comes off. Is it bolted front and back?

Another picture would help

I might find an old spanner and grind it so it fits.

Bear in mind, if the cage doesn't come off, it'll be a socket you need, not a spanner

• Advertisement

cletus wrote: »
    Bear in mind, if the cage doesn't come off, it'll be a socket you need, not a spanner
    I edited my post after you read it - at least one seized Allen bolt holding the cage on.

I edited my post after you read it - at least one seized Allen bolt holding the cage on.

Plenty of WD-40 (or whatever flavour you prefer), and worst case scenario heat.

Times like this a manual impact driver is ideal (not helpful, I know :D)

Got the little bugger out, cheers. Just a little swearing as lubricant. If they were my pedals, if have just hot then with a hammer.

and another, deader end. the nut you can see in the photo is obviously just a locknut, 12mm. there's a larger one behind it, 14mm or probably 15mm at a guess and my cheapo socket set goes up to 13mm.

and another, deader end. the nut you can see in the photo is obviously just a locknut, 12mm. there's a larger one behind it, 14mm or probably 15mm at a guess and my cheapo socket set goes up to 13mm.

Also a crappy set, but looks to have a larger range of sizes

https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/streetwize-accessories-socket-set-40pce-38-and-14/1600405797.prd?Ntt=socket%20set

I'm in Rathangan. If you're anywhere nearby, I can throw the sockets you need at you from 2 metres away...

cheers - i've got a neighbour with an impressive array of tools, so may ask him to throw some over the garden wall. much appreciated though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

cheers - i've got a neighbour with an impressive array of tools, so may ask him to throw some over the garden wall. much appreciated though.

I wonder will the death of MB getting hit by a socket flying over the fence and cracking him on the noggin be attributed to Covid 19 :pac:

you could ask did my neighour.... socket to me.

me being killed like that would really throw a spanner in the works for my plans for the next couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The nut underneath isn't usually all that tight, and you can get it out with a suitably sized box spanner. That's what I do anyway: ratchet set to get out first, box spanner for second. There's usually a washer in between that will shake out.

(I'm assuming the nut underneath is the base of the bearing cone, as that's the case in the pedals I've serviced.

Box spanners cost a few euro in most hardware stores. I think the one I have is 14mm on one side and 15mm on the other.

Advertisement