Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

CramCycle wrote: »
    Have to replace the headset on my Track Bike. Easy enough and can get it here: https://www.dolan-bikes.com/alpina-36x45-headset/

Anyone got recommendations for alternative brands, looking specifically for one that has a reputation for lasting a long time.

Hope or cane creek

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

So, I've been thinking of putting drop bars on this frame when (re)building. It's a hard tail mountain bike, circa 2006.

I was idly flicking through various forums looking for info on doing a handlebar swap like that, and most posters were suggesting that a really short stem is required when putting drops on a mountain bike.

I couldn't be sure, but I got the impression that they were talking about newer bikes, which would have (I think) quite a different geometry to the frame in the picture.

Can anyone shed any light on the subject for me?

510210.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i assume they are referring to drop bars having a forward throw on the hoods, that straight bars won't?

i assume they are referring to drop bars having a forward throw on the hoods, that straight bars won't?

Perhaps, but I don't know what any of that means :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cletus wrote: »
    Fitting standard drops will mean a longer reach as the frame was designed for straight bars which are closer to the rider.

• Advertisement

Yeah, that was the general sentiment all right, but like I said, I thought that might be more relevant on newer style mountain bikes.

Is there a easy way to figure out the stem length I might need?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cletus wrote: »
    keeping the original stem would mean that you'd be reaching as far forward as the bike was originally designed, only when you were holding on to the top of the bars. if you reached forward onto the hoods, or into the drops, you'd be more stretched out than the person who designed the bike would have intended, and the steering might feel slow and heavy. if you have the original stem, no harm in experimenting with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

Felt MTB Q200 2012 saddle, opinions?

My new-to-me Felt Q200 is from 2012 or so, I'm having fun bombing around within my 2K radius, urban and country roads mostly. Anyway, it's equipped with the original "Felt mountain design low side profile look w/ comfort fit top, double-density base, satin steel rails", is anyone familiar with it? I'm toying with the idea of getting a Charge Spoon, or something else fairly inexpensive, but I don't know if it would make much of a difference. Hmm, what do you think? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

woody33 wrote: »
    .....but I don't know if it would make much of a difference. Hmm, what do you think? Thanks.
    Is there a problem with the existing saddle? (You don't mention anything in your post).

Is there a problem with the existing saddle? (You don't mention anything in your post).
    To tell the truth, it's fine, I'd just like something a bit more comfy. Quite a while since I've had such a narrow-gauge saddle, maybe I should spend more time with it. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Heya lads, I've no solution left to put in my chain cleaning tool what can I use as a substitute?

what do you usually put in it?
    white spirits will clean a chain, but will strip it bare.

what do you usually put in it?
    white spirits will clean a chain, but will strip it bare.

I was using the solution that came with it. No idea what it was. Will White spirits strip it bare in a good way:pac: I'd rather something like washing up liquid but without the salt. Wd40 maybe?

i use white spirits, or petrol, maybe twice a year on my chain (depends on how dirty it is) to strip it completely. that involves taking the chain off and soaking it for a day or two though. after, i usually use the muc off wet after it dries, as you need something gloopy rather than light to get between the rollers, after.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Petrol is a great for cleaning chains. Just re-lube it once cleaned and dry.

i use white spirits, or petrol, maybe twice a year on my chain (depends on how dirty it is) to strip it completely. that involves taking the chain off and soaking it for a day or two though. after, i usually use the muc off wet after it dries, as you need something gloopy rather than light to get between the rollers, after.

Ah yeah I'm with you. I'm looking for a quick fix to just get the dirt off my chain. I've one of those tools you attach to the chain with the brushes and you normally pour some of the solution in. It's alternatives to the solution I'm after. I have a bottle of eco friendly bike cleaner I might try some on that unless there's some reason I shouldnt?

Petrol is a great for cleaning chains. Just re-lube it once cleaned and dry.
    I don't have petrol to hand. The mower is electric unfortunately.

WD40 with a toothbrush will do a decent job, but you'll need a heavier lube than WD40 to replace what it thins away.

WD40 with a toothbrush will do a decent job, but you'll need a heavier lube than WD40 to replace what it thins away.

OK thanks. I have chain lube alright. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Most hardwares will have degreaser. I got some the other day as I ran out of my usual stuff. Thankfully my local hardware is doing 'take away' - you stand outside and tell them what you want then you go in one at a time to pay.

All they had was a Tec7 degreaser. Not as good as the stuff I usually use but it does the job.

• Advertisement

crosstownk wrote: »
    Most hardwares will have degreaser. I got some the other day as I ran out of my usual stuff. Thankfully my local hardware is doing 'take away' - you stand outside and tell them what you want then you go in one at a time to pay.

All they had was a Tec7 degreaser. Not as good as the stuff I usually use but it does the job.
    I think I have some of that. I've 4 bike chains to clean.

iamtony wrote: »
    Heya lads, I've no solution left to put in my chain cleaning tool what can I use as a substitute?

I've been using heating oil up to this, today I tried white spirit, which ought to evaporate more quickly. It seemed to work well, though i wish i gad s greater amount to hand. Whether this is a good idea, I do not know, but there is certainly a lot of internet chatter on the subject. Have you checked out the Park Tools site? Very reputable.

woody33 wrote: »
    I've been using heating oil up to this, today I tried white spirit, which ought to evaporate more quickly. It seemed to work well, though i wish i gad s greater amount to hand. Whether this is a good idea, I do not know, but there is certainly a lot of internet chatter on the subject. Have you checked out the Park Tools site? Very reputable.
    no I've never seen that site before, looks great. The chain cleaning tool is similar to what I have. I'd rather use something that isn't so harsh inside it so it doesn't melt the brushes or something. I took out all the bikes to clean yesterday but never got around to it in the end. Hopefully today will be the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Personally I dont use a chain cleaner on my chains. I just regularly wipe it down with a rag and re lube. If I've been riding in mud I'll just pour a little degreaser on the chain when I hose the bike down

I’ve just checked my chain scrubbing tool, just like the Park Tools one but a lot cheaper, it seems perfectly fine after having white spirit in it.
    Oh, I remember when bike chains were totally enclosed in a metal chain guard. And lucky people had Sturmey Archer 3 speed hubs. Oh, and rod-actuated brakes. Saddles with springs built in....

20200424_151009.jpg this is the stuff I have. Ssys degreaser so I'm gonna give that a lash. Thanks lads.

So here's one for the stupid pile. I'm cleaning up the rear derailleur of a bike I'm doing up, and I took off the cable housing (I had left it in place up till now so that I could measure the length of need for the replacement)

I'm looking at the end in this picture, and I realise that I don't know if the threaded insert comes off, or will I get a replacement one in the Shimano shifter cable set I'm hoping to buy from chain reactions.

Anyone able to shed some light?

510786.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

It comes off. Its the rear derailleur barrel adjuster - won't come in the cable kit. Pull hard

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Plastik wrote: »
    It comes off. Its the rear derailleur barrel adjuster - won't come in the cable kit. Pull hard

Yep. It'll come off. Lash some degreaser or WD40 onto it and leave it to soak if it's exceptionally stubborn.

• Advertisement

Thanks folks, gave it a pull and off it came :D

Advertisement