Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how can there be almost no inflation in Ireland if property has gone up by so much?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

Yes it is.

so with a 1% raise in my salary annualy, I should be happy with that too right as my salary is now worth more than inflation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

armabelle wrote: »
    so with a 1% raise in my salary annualy, I should be happy with that too right as my salary is now worth more than inflation?

That's for you to decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Good to question these stats. But most people can use common sense and just don't believe the inflation stats the experts peddle. They are useful for employers to throw at employees each year to keep wages and pensions supressed.

A wall of money printing is running it's course through this decade. We have not yet been handed the final bill for this largesse by the central banks. Thanks to this cheap money supply there are bubbles forming in everything from property and the ftse to fine art and classic cars.

That's for you to decide.

would you be happy with a 1% rise in your salary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,836 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

And you personally think that the survey is an accurate representation of inflation in Ireland?

I do.

I have faith in the CSO.

Now, it is well known that different groups of people can face different inflation rates.

If you were a tenant in Dublin, who spent a lot on health insurance, and facing those two costs rise a lot over the last five years, you might dismiss the CPI. But it is a national price index, not specific to one cohort.

Geuze wrote: »
    I do.

I have faith in the CSO.

Now, it is well known that different groups of people can face different inflation rates.

If you were a tenant in Dublin, who spent a lot on health insurance, and facing those two costs rise a lot over the last five years, you might dismiss the CPI. But it is a national price index, not specific to one cohort.

Why would a tenant in Dublin spend more over the past 5 years on health insurance and rent as opposed to a tenant in Cork or Limerick. Haven't rents and insurance gone up for people in those towns as well?

So I guess only tenants are affected by the huge increase in property then and those paying mortgages would actually be in a better position if they purchased their houses post 2009 right?

Finally, do you know if there is a place where one can see the rental vs mortgage stats for Ireland? So, how many people own and how many people rent and how many people have mortgages?

Why would a tenant in Dublin spend more over the past 5 years on health insurance and rent as opposed to a tenant in Cork or Limerick. Haven't rents and insurance gone up for people in those towns as well?

So I guess only tenants are affected by the huge increase in property then and those paying mortgages would actually be in a better position if they purchased their houses post 2009 right?

Finally, do you know if there is a place where one can see the rental vs mortgage stats for Ireland? So, how many people own and how many people rent and how many people have mortgages?

Rents have risen faster in Dublin than elsewhere, so a Dublin tenant's inflation rate may be higher than other people's.

Census 2011 has info on home ownership.

http://www.cso.ie/en/census/census2011reports/

Try profile 4 or 5.

Yes, as mortgage rates have fallen.

The interest cost on my tracker fell sharply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

It's an investment until it's a loss..and that's the problem with assuming it's JUST an investment whereas it could also be classified as an expense at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

would you be happy with a 1% rise in your salary?

No. Why do you ask?

Advertisement