Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software Developer Internship Interview

Options
  • 08-01-2017 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have an interview for a work placement as a C# developer. The interview is phone interview.

There looking for someone who

Knows C#, Asp.net mvc (I have 3 months experience, through college this year)
    Angular (I have no experience in Angular)
    RESTful Applications (I have never built a RESTFUL App)

If anyone has any advice I would be grateful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Hi

I have an interview for a work placement as a C# developer. The interview is phone interview.

There looking for someone who

Knows C#, Asp.net mvc (I have 3 months experience, through college this year)
    Angular (I have no experience in Angular)
    RESTful Applications (I have never built a RESTFUL App)

If anyone has any advice I would be grateful.

It being an internship, I'd be surprised if you're expected to know anything in particular depth. My advice would be to get across an eagerness to learn, and an interest in technology. If you do, maybe you can mention that you read a couple of tech blogs, or maybe have a little home project that you do in your free time (highlights your eagerness to learn, etc). If you don't, then don't bother bluffing or maybe highlight a project you did in college.

Re the techs, you could impress their asses off by comparing and contrasting RESTful web services with SOAP web services. Rest v soap is a very popular interview question. Stackoverflow.com has many comparisons. You could even throw together a Rest web service at home. There are tonnes of tutorials and you could have a Hello, World app up and running in an hour, it's very simple and very little complexity.

Maybe brush up on some basic C# fundamentals, just stuff you've learned in college in case they test your knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Don't bullshit and be honest about your knowledge, as they'll smell it a mile off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

So I had a phone interview and it went great, and I had a second round, and your man didn't care that I was weak at C# as I knew basics of programming in general. There going to teach me everything I need to know. I was even told by the end of the Inter ship I'll have the skills of a 50K a year developer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

So I had a phone interview and it went great, and I had a second round, and your man didn't care that I was weak at C# as I knew basics of programming in general. There going to teach me everything I need to know. I was even told by the end of the Inter ship I'll have the skills of a 50K a year developer.

Congratulations.

If I was talking to a younger self, I'd advise him to listen to his more experienced peers. Listen, ask questions and learn from good developers. Development is very competitive and learning how to do it right at the start will hold you in good stead. You'll be ahead of 90% of the competition. The other 10% is harder to beat. Always ask 'why'. Why is this thing done that way, why was that technology chosen, what problem did this new tech solve.. Grasp the bigger picture and the small details and you're laughing. IT can be very financially lucrative if you're good enough.

Don't expect the intern job to be a bed of roses, it might even be boring, you might get admin tasks and crap stuff, but learn about yourself, what you like/dislike, are interested in, the people to follow/avoid. It's not all about code.

Best of luck.

Advertisement