If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting things to my amp

Options
  • 08-01-2017 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hi, I bought an amp and turntable from yous a while back (both are working great, so thanks for that). Have recently moved to a new place, and logistics mean that I need to get some longer wires.

I'm trying to connect my turntable to the Yamaha amp, so I'm thinking I need a longer RCA cable (is that right?) but seems to be a bit difficult as the one that came with the package is grounded. Would you have a 3m or so one of these?

The other thing is that I'm trying to connect the tv to the amp for the sound. Any idea of what I'd need for this? Coaxial cable perhaps? 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

I was also curious that you no longer sell the dust lid for the audio technica turntables and that they come as standard. Is there any way of getting my hands on one of these? They didn't come as standard when I purchased from you around 5 months ago.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Achasanai wrote: »
    Hi, I bought an amp and turntable from yous a while back (both are working great, so thanks for that). Have recently moved to a new place, and logistics mean that I need to get some longer wires.

I'm trying to connect my turntable to the Yamaha amp, so I'm thinking I need a longer RCA cable (is that right?) but seems to be a bit difficult as the one that came with the package is grounded. Would you have a 3m or so one of these?

The other thing is that I'm trying to connect the tv to the amp for the sound. Any idea of what I'd need for this? Coaxial cable perhaps? 
    Hi Achasanai.

We do sell longer Phono cables but non with an earth attached unfortunately.
    Which turntable is it that you have as most are hard wired and you can not change the cables without either cutting them are soldering them inside the unit.

As for connecting to the TV. Which Yamaha amp do you have and which TV.
    If its an AV receiver then HDMI would be the best option. 
    If its stereo then it will be optical or co ax, depending on which your TV has or which connection your amp has.

As for the lids for the Audio Technica turntables, we may be able to order one of these in as a spare for you but as they are now included with the turntables we stopped stocking them.

Let me know what you think.

Any questions please ask.

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for the response. The turntable I have is the Audio Technica AT-LP5. The amp is a Yamaha AS-501. The tv is a techwood tec32ledt16 (that's what it says on the back, anyway. Pretty sure it's this one: http://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/hd-tvs/techwood-32-led-television-en.html). Apologies for the non-Richer Sounds link. The back has two HDMI points, an SPDIF (?), a VGA (?), an ANT. (?) and a SCART.

It's not a huge deal if the tv can't be connected, and if they can't, I wouldn't need that extra long rca cable anyway. Any cutting/soldering would be waaaay beyond what I'd be comfortable doing, so that might solve that conundrum anyway.

I'd definitely be interested in getting a cover for the turntable if you could source it. I would more than likely be putting an order in for some speakers while I'm at it. So, another question. Would these speakers (http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200924-diamond-220.aspx#tabSpecifications-tab) fit well with the turntable/amplifier set? In terms of sound, I mean.

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for the response. The turntable I have is the Audio Technica AT-LP5. The amp is a Yamaha AS-501. The tv is a techwood tec32ledt16 (that's what it says on the back, anyway. Pretty sure it's this one: http://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/hd-tvs/techwood-32-led-television-en.html). Apologies for the non-Richer Sounds link. The back has two HDMI points, an SPDIF (?), a VGA (?), an ANT. (?) and a SCART.

It's not a huge deal if the tv can't be connected, and if they can't, I wouldn't need that extra long rca cable anyway. Any cutting/soldering would be waaaay beyond what I'd be comfortable doing, so that might solve that conundrum anyway.

I'd definitely be interested in getting a cover for the turntable if you could source it. I would more than likely be putting an order in for some speakers while I'm at it. So, another question. Would these speakers (http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200924-diamond-220.aspx#tabSpecifications-tab) fit well with the turntable/amplifier set? In terms of sound, I mean.
    Hi Achasanai,

You could connect your TV up via the SPDIF (optical connection) with a standard optical lead. This should allow you to take digital sound from your TV to your amplifier. We could certainly look into the price of a cover for the LP5.

The speakers are very good however if I were to recommend a set I would have a look at the Monitor Audio Bronze 2s. These are one of the best midrange bookshelf speakers I've heard and are on sale at £249.

Let me know what you think.

David

Thanks David.

I'll have a think about the speakers. To be honest, though, they're a bit out of my price range unfortunately.

If you could let me know if/when you get that dust cover for the audio technica AT-LP5, that'd be great.

• Advertisement

Thanks David.

I'll have a think about the speakers. To be honest, though, they're a bit out of my price range unfortunately.

If you could let me know if/when you get that dust cover for the audio technica AT-LP5, that'd be great.
    Hey Achasanai.

I will check into this, this morning and get a price and ETA on the lid for you.

Just wondering if there's been an update on this. There's no huge rush on the lid, but don't want to miss out on the money off on the speakers. Speaking of, is there free delivery to the Republic of Ireland?

Just wondering if there's been an update on this. There's no huge rush on the lid, but don't want to miss out on the money off on the speakers. Speaking of, is there free delivery to the Republic of Ireland?
    Hey Achasanai.

I'll drop our spares team another message today to get the price/availability of the dust cover.

Delivery would be £6.99 for shipping to the Republic of Ireland.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.