Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scammers on Daft

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Actually, I'm just thinking about it. They do vet the ads because there is a gap between putting an ad up and it going live.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭smunchkins

I think they vet the advert for obvious illegalities, like "professionals only" or "rent allowance not accepted", they don't verify the advert is real.
    It appears the advert for that one in Ballsbridge was actually an apartment to rent in Nashville, easily found if you click on "search Google for this image".
    What they really need to do is write a code for their image submissions for each advert, that way they could flag the repeat offenders easily enough, as it is always a different address each time.
    https://www.homeaway.co.uk/p4422531
    (just a teensy bit more than the cost they were advertising!) ;)

pilly wrote: »
    Actually, I'm just thinking about it. They do vet the ads because there is a gap between putting an ad up and it going live.

I've never posted an ad on daft so I don't know, but any of the ads I've posted on Adverts have gone live within a few minutes so I imagine it's run though some sort of key word filter to flag certain ads for review rather than having an actual human review all of them.

An image search script would be a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

It seems so very obvious to us because we know how the Irish rental market works and when something is abnormal. I had a work colleague who was concerned and almost fell for one of these. He was from south america and thought deposit before keys was fine even without seeing the property. We convinced him it was a scam as it didn't sound right for here.

However, if you've ever tried renting a property abroad, especially in places like Stockholm or new york where they have very strong rent controls and as such a very large unregulated "sub letting" market, you'll do a lot of things to get a place to live that if you were asked to do them here you'd assume a scam. When I hear people talk about rent controls to protect tenants I always think they should really look at places that apply those controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Been looking for a new place recently, came in contact with a couple of scammers. The most obvious red flag being that they're not from Ireland. i.e. wire me money then I'll mail you the keys :rolleyes:
    Hello,

Thank you for your e-mail.
    I am the owner of the apartment. My name is Cristian Berardi from Rome/Italy. I bought the apartment while working in Ireland.
    The apartment has 2 bedrooms, 1 living room, 1 kitchen and 1 bathroom. Is available for long-term, it's in excellent condition, very clean and fully furnished with all the necessary equipment and appliances. The apartment has public transport near and not far away of shopping center, sports club and coffee shops.
    The rent will be 1220 Euro per month. A security bond of 1220 Euro is required at the start of the lease and it will be refunded at the end of the contract (a 30 day notice is required). The apartment is fully furnished, like in the pictures. If you have any question please let me know.

If further interested, please give me some information about yourself (age, job, lifestyle or whatever you think makes you a good tenant). I want only serious people with a healthy financial situation. So could you please email me something that shows you are financially stable... anything you want that shows you're in a good financial situation.

The apartment address is: The Chandler, Rathborne Village, Ashtown, Dublin 15

Please see the apartment pictures attached.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing back from you

I've found a sure-fire way to know if it's a scammer, after you email them your interest, save the ad. When they email you back, check your saved ads -- they'll have removed it already. They think you're on the hook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well done those who spotted and reported. Well done and thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Jake1 wrote: »
    here is a taste of what they start off with, trying to lure you...

.......My name is Carl Larsen, I was born in Sweden. I am .......
    The only inconvenience is that my job doesn't allow me to leave Sweden even for one single day. We just hired some new staff and I'm in charge of their training......

This sounds similar to the 'moving to sweden car scam' that was in the papers a while ago. Essentially owner of car is moving/moved to sweden hence the cheap price, and fast sale of their car. Can't remember but think it's hp, requires e-deposit, or some other fakery. Poor Sweden getting bait used like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

here is a taste of what they start off with, trying to lure you...

I knew full well this was a scammer, 800 all bills in D4 ? yeah right , love :) But I emailed it anyway..

I worked in Ireland in the last 3 years and bought this apartment during my staying in Ireland.
    I'm renting the place for unlimited time but right now the flat is inhabited and will be available from 15 January.
    Before we go any further I would like to know more about you, like how many persons you intend to live in the place, for how long?
    The flat is exactly like in the pictures, fully furnished and renovated. Also, very important, the utilities (cold/hot water, electricity, wireless broadband Internet, digital TV, 1 parking spots, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator, washing machine, etc.) are INCLUDED in the price of 800 Euro/month. "security deposit" is also 800 Euro. And you get it back, when you decide to leave the apartment
    You can use my furniture, or you can also use your own if you prefer. If you decide to use yours, you will have access to a very large and well ventilated storeroom, where you can put my furniture.
    Now, a little bit about myself so we can get to know each other better. My name is Carl Larsen, I was born in Sweden. I am Deputy General Manager at http://www.safeatwork.se/construction/
    The only inconvenience is that my job doesn't allow me to leave Sweden even for one single day. We just hired some new staff and I'm in charge of their training.
    But this won't affect you at all. I can make arrangements to rent you the apartment from here.
    If you are still interested to rent my place i will explain you how we will do this after i get more information's about you.

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Thank You!
    Carl Larsen

This is like the stuff of fairytales...hard to believe people fall for this but seemingly, they do!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

This sounds similar to the 'moving to sweden car scam' that was in the papers a while ago. Essentially owner of car is moving/moved to sweden hence the cheap price, and fast sale of their car. Can't remember but think it's hp, requires e-deposit, or some other fakery. Poor Sweden getting bait used like this.

Sweden used as I imagine it has a clean, honest rep as a nation...if they were put Nigeria it wouldn't have quite the same effect :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Guriek

We are currently looking for new rent, and we are just tired of reporting these type of scam ads. Really impressed Daft is not doing anything to prevent the use of their platform for such activity.
    If you are wary they are easy to spot, but responsibility should not fall only on Daft users. They should be responsible of their platform if use with ill intent.
    Seems to be worse during the weekends, where ads are online for prolonged time.
    I agree with Smunchinks, having a piece of code requiring new images would at least make it a bit difficult for the scammers. But my personal opinion is that they should be curing the ads instead of letting them be online straight away. It's property renting, it can wait a day or two for ad to be reviewed and published.
    Hope they do something about it, because right now is pretty bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

Guriek wrote: »
    I agree with Smunchinks, having a piece of code requiring new images would at least make it a bit difficult for the scammers. But my personal opinion is that they should be curing the ads instead of letting them be online straight away. It's property renting, it can wait a day or two for ad to be reviewed and published.
    Hope they do something about it, because right now is pretty bad.

I disagree. I don't think landlords/agents should have to wait 24-48 hours for an ad to be vetted on daft. People will have to pay more for the ads due to the greater admin.

IMO the internet is not for everyone. Some people just can't seem to spot a scam whether it be online or on the street. There is no point punishing 99.8% of daft users with slower ads so they can be vetted, as 0.2% can't seem to use their cop on to notice a scam on daft.

If you don't think you are capable of using daft without being scammed, use an estate agent. A majority of daft users should not be punished as some people can't spot a scam.

To be fair Daft has a lot of warnings on its site advising people not to hand over money before viewing a place and if it seems too good to be true it probably is. I agree there's only so much they can do aside from that and the report ads feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Guriek wrote: »
    Seems to be worse during the weekends, where ads are online for prolonged time.

Daft have staff who are online during working hours and scammers take advantage of this. It might be an idea to pre moderate ads outside of business hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1 just passing through

I was following one of these scammers a few years back i see how people could fall into it, and quote the scammers emails:
    Rene Bingemer <rene.bingemerXXXom>

03/08/2015

to me
    Hello,

I just read your e-mail regarding my apartment located in : 27 South Richmound Street, Portobello, Dublin 2. It has 2 bedrooms, 1 living room, 1 kitchen and 1 bathroom . I bought this apartment for my daughter during her studies in Ireland, but now she's back home permanently, so I'm renting the place for unlimited time.
    Before we go any further I would like to know a little something about you, like how many persons you intend to live in the apartment, and for how long.The flat is exactly like in the pictures, fully furnished and renovated. Also, very important, the utilities (cold/hot water, electricity, wireless broadband Internet, digital TV, 1 parking spots, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator, washing machine, etc.) are INCLUDED in the price of 750EURO/month. As for me, you can rest assured that I will never ask you to leave the apartment. My daughter is building her life here, and i am too old to move to Ireland, so we won't disturb you.
    You can use my furniture, or you can also use your own if you prefer. If you decide to use yours, you will have access to a very large and well ventilated cellar, where you can store my furniture.
    Now, a little bit about myself so we can get to know each other better. My name is Rene Bingemer and I'm a 58 years old graphic designer from London /United Kingdom, planning to retire in the next 2 years.
    I have a lovely wife,Sarah and a 25 year old daughter, Maria. I am very proud to say that soon I'm going to be a grandfather :). Another member of our family is a 8 year old Labrador which we all love, so, I have no problem if you will keep pets.
    The only inconvenience is that my job doesn't allow me to leave London even for one single day. We just hired some new staff and I'm in charge of their training.
    But this won't affect you at all. I can make arrangements to rent the apartment from London (on my expense of course).
    All the best from United Kingdo

His 2nd response:

Hi,

Thank you for your reply but the matter is that I'm in London already. Like I have inform you before, the price you shall pay for one month of rent will be 750EURO, with no extra taxes to pay. The security deposit is 750EURO. The money, I want to revive it monthly to my bank account, so I hope it will be no problem for you to wire the money to my bank account. The apartment is ready for you, you will need only to receive the keys and the contract to check it, and see if you like it.
    Obviously we need a way to complete this deal, that will allow us to make sure we receive what we are after. In order of that I have found a way for us to complete the deal safely and fast, and in this way you will receive the Keys in less than 3 days, if you move fast as well. The solution is a worldwide third party company called Airbnb (wwXXXXbnb.com), they will provide assistance in handling the payment and delivery of the rental package.
    We use this company to see that you are an trusting and serious person. They will provide assistance in handling the payment and delivery of the rental package. With this procedure you will be able to check the apartment before I receive the payment. Please be aware that is NOT necessary for you to register with Airbnb given that I'm a registered user for 4 years and I've made over 5 transactions with them so far. They are really professional and they have great services.
    Let me know if you are interested so I can provide with all the steps of this transaction. You need to know everything about this process before we get this started. I think is right for both of us.
    Thank you and hope to hear from you soon!

Reply 3:

Hi,

This transaction is not made face to face, this is the whole reason for using Airbnb, for both of us to be 100% protected.
    Regarding the process, you will only have to deposit to Airbnb the first month of rent from contract and security deposit 750EURO + 750EURO = 1500EURO so they can proceed with the shipping, and you can receive the rental package (keys and documents). I will pay for a 3 days delivery so you will receive the keys and the contract signed by me right away. I will explain you step by step how this process will work:
    1 - To start the process all I need is your full info(full name and address).
    2 - I will go at Airbnb to deposit the keys and the contract on your name as the intended receiver.
    3 - Airbnb will check the package to see if everything is in order and also the legal papers that will come along with the keys and proof of ownership with their Real Estate Professional Department.
    4 - Airbnb will send you a delivery notification to let you know they have the keys and the papers in their custody. They will also send you all the payment instructions to complete the rental transaction.
    5 - At this point you will have to go to your Bank Location and make a money transfer to the bank account of Airbnb Representative for the amount we agreed, the total amount you shall deposit is 1500EURO.
    6 - After you make the deposit you will have to send the payment details to Airbnb.
    7 - Airbnb will verify the transfer and if everything is in order they will start the shipping procedures using UPS or TNT Next Day Shipping Service.
    8 - After you receive the package, you will go and check the apartment and in 3 days (inspection time) you must contact Airbnb to inform them if you keep the apt or not and if everything is in order you will instruct Airbnb to send me the information about the money deposit and I will be able to receive the funds. If you don`t like the apartment they will be sending the money back to you and you will send back the keys and contract. Airbnb can't release the funds without your approval.

Now i must know for sure if you agree because here are a lot of peoples interested to have this apartment rented and i want to know for sure what i must tell them. If you agree what i suggested i will tell them that my apartment is already rented and i will keep it for you. If you agree then i must have all the shipping details so i will be able to make all the arrangements for the Airbnb delivery.

Thank you for your interest and wait news f

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

TheBully wrote: »
    Can I ask how you would get caught out on this?? Surely you would view before giving a deposit would you?

I suppose it only works a small percentage of the time but that might be enough for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

TheBully wrote: »
    Can I ask how you would get caught out on this?? Surely you would view before giving a deposit would you?
    If you have 3 days before going homeless because you have a dog and two kids and no-one will give you a house, and a perfect place comes up, the landlord likes you, you may not be thinking straight and just wire the money to ensure your family has a roof over their heads.

The scammers prey on the vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

smunchkins wrote: »
    I think they vet the advert for obvious illegalities, like "professionals only" or "rent allowance not accepted", they don't verify the advert is real.
    It appears the advert for that one in Ballsbridge was actually an apartment to rent in Nashville, easily found if you click on "search Google for this image".
    What they really need to do is write a code for their image submissions for each advert, that way they could flag the repeat offenders easily enough, as it is always a different address each time.
    https://www.homeaway.co.uk/p4422531
    (just a teensy bit more than the cost they were advertising!) ;)

I think it's interesting that you say Rent allowance not accepted is illegal, we're acting as agents for my sister flat. Due to health reasons she can't live there anymore and we'd gladly take 'rent allowance' which is now a HAP scheme, which the mortgage holder (the local authority) refuses to pay!! We're all stuck (tenant & landlord) and we've to take the case to the ombudsman to see if what the council are doing is legal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Greaney wrote: »
    I think it's interesting that you say Rent allowance not accepted is illegal, we're acting as agents for my sister flat. Due to health reasons she can't live there anymore and we'd gladly take 'rent allowance' which is now a HAP scheme, which the mortgage holder (the local authority) refuses to pay!! We're all stuck (tenant & landlord) and we've to take the case to the ombudsman to see if what the council are doing is legal.

I don't understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ianburke

http://www.airbnb.ie-booking-request.eu/booking/listing/46764e/?rent=1513087420?s=eRGFZrin

After 3 or 4 emails they sent me this link to book. The apartment was on rent.ie and daft...i knew it was fake because the prices were 800 per month instead of over 2k....but I wanted to see the process involved in trying to scam - out of curiosity.

The fake page looks pretty good. I was impressed..and the reviews are all 5 stars...written in much better English than the "CEO of aerlingus.com". I can actually understand how some people may be fooled. All it takes is for one person to fall for it and I guess the job of the scammer is worthwhile.

Looking on google search shows up the same emails as the ones I've got, only the names being changed.

I listed the apartment to Airbnb now you can book it from 27 December to 27 January. After this month ,I will come to know you personally , I hope you understand and agree with that, because also for us it is the first time when we rented without personally see the new tenant.
    Here is the link: http://www.airbnb.ie-booking-request.eu/booking/listing/46764e/?rent=1513087420?s=eRGFZrin
    Now you can reserve and book the apartment.
    Thank You!Mauron Axel
    Deputy General Manager
    www.aerlingus.com

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

I saw a new trick used by them yesterday & reported it- Obviously daft are closing the accounts once ad is reported, so now in photo 2 it has their email address, and part text of the ad is "Due to computer issues on my end I cannot access my inbox on this site. Please email me directly to scammer@whatever.com " Scum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

ianburke wrote: »
    http://www.airbnb.ie-booking-request.eu/booking/listing/46764e/?rent=1513087420?s=eRGFZrin

After 3 or 4 emails they sent me this link to book. The apartment was on rent.ie and daft...i knew it was fake because the prices were 800 per month instead of over 2k....but I wanted to see the process involved in trying to scam - out of curiosity.

The fake page looks pretty good. I was impressed..and the reviews are all 5 stars...written in much better English than the "CEO of aerlingus.com". I can actually understand how some people may be fooled. All it takes is for one person to fall for it and I guess the job of the scammer is worthwhile.

Looking on google search shows up the same emails as the ones I've got, only the names being changed.

I listed the apartment to Airbnb now you can book it from 27 December to 27 January. After this month ,I will come to know you personally , I hope you understand and agree with that, because also for us it is the first time when we rented without personally see the new tenant.
    Here is the link: http://www.airbnb.ie-booking-request.eu/booking/listing/46764e/?rent=1513087420?s=eRGFZrin
    Thank You!Mauron Axel
    Deputy General Manager
    www.aerlingus.com

If that is much better english i would hate to see the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Most people would, I would think. But there would be some people who would fall for it. Young people, foreign students, might think this was the norm..

During week a got a reply from another scammer, telling me he was in Sweden working, and went into detail about how we would do the viewing and transfer of money.

even sent me a link to the company he worked at...

LOL - did he claim to work for a well-known Irish airline by any chance? I think I came into contact with him myself a while ago. Wanted to organise payment via airbnb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

ianburke wrote: »

Thank You!Mauron Axel
    Deputy General Manager
    www.aerlingus.com

This is DEFINITELY the guy I was dealing with.
    If you search out his IP address, he's Spanish

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Rodgeb

Found an advert on daft that initially looks legit, and may well be, but the more I think about it looks very dodgy. Im not certain if this apartment even exists and if you wanted to collect a load of personal data from strangers this looks like the way to do it.

The advert is at https://www.daft.ie/wicklow/apartments-for-rent/greystones/seabourne-view-greystones-wicklow-1914602/

Its advertised at below market rate for €1500pm, an apartment the same size in the same building is also advertised at €1650pm so this ad has loads of views

There is one generic photo of the outside of the building lifted from another advert for a different apartment. There is a watermark on it that says www.myhome.ie/3279140 -this is an old advert of a let agreed for €1295 ground floor apartment . The advert here says it is first floor.

No internal photos.
    Minimal Property Description.
    No Phone number.
    Only contact name for the landlord is 'Robert'.
    Incomplete address for the apartment

And the kicker is it says to contact the landlord by email only if interested with references. Some house hunters could be so desperate they might send on employment and biographical info, maybe even bank information in the hope of getting a call back and you have no way of tracing who you are sending it to.

I reported the ad to Daft. For the record I have no connection with the other, dearer apartment either.

What do ye think, am I being paranoid here?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Not necessarily a scam. Wife and I are accidental landlords in that we'd both bought houses before we'd even met, so one of them is let out because it's in negative equity and it doesn't make sense to try sell it.

It's in a large village in Co. Wexford, and I've advertised it twice on Daft. First time, I put up the house number, pics of the house and front garden itself, various interior shots too, along with my phone number as a contact point. Ended up getting a succession of phone calls from local yahoos that you couldn't rent to in a million years, if you wanted any hope of your property being looked after properly, and getting your rent paid in full and on time.

Then to cap it all, after having to repeatedly tell one particularly notorious local ‘character’ that he couldn’t have the house, two windows in it were smashed and whatever heating oil was left in the tank was robbed. May have been coincidence….but I don’t think so.

We eventually got some good tenants, and when they moved out, I advertised on Daft again. This time though, I didn’t put up the house number, didn’t put pics of any identifying details, and just gave an email address as my only contact detail. It cut out a lot of the messing, and we got good tenants again before too long.

That definitely wasn’t a scam on my part. Maybe the rental landscape has changed in the meantime (this was about four years ago), but maybe the owner here has similar concerns if he/she is handling the whole thing himself/herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

It is very odd that there are no internal photos. It is certainly wise to avoid identifying the address on Daft. Nobody wants people coming knocking on the door at random.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Wouldn’t necessarily consider that a scam based on the ad. Approach with the usual caution

Advertisement