Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warranty on a prize??

Options
  • 08-01-2017 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Can't seem to find an answer to this anywhere. I'm buying a phone from someone who won it as a prize so there is no receipt. They have not registered for warranty. How would I I go about getting the warranty without proof of purchase? Do I need to get the person who won it to register the warranty?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

ab4248 wrote: »
    Can't seem to find an answer to this anywhere. I'm buying a phone from someone who won it as a prize so there is no receipt. They have not registered for warranty. How would I I go about getting the warranty without proof of purchase? Do I need to get the person who won it to register the warranty?

Private sale? Caveat emptor, you are not buying it from a business.

The Sale of Goods and Services Act provides consumer protection.

What is a consumer?:

Generally speaking a consumer is defined in Irish law as a natural person who buys goods or a service for personal use or consumption from someone whose business it is to sell goods or provide services. By law, you are not a consumer if you:

Receive goods as a gift
    Buy goods for commercial purposes (i.e. you will be using the goods for commercial and not private use)
    Buy goods for private use that are normally used for business purposes
    Buy goods from an individual who is not in business (i.e. you buy a car from an individual whose normal business is not selling cars)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Depends on the phone. Samsung and Apple will use the serial number as the warranty and it's activation date. That's how it worked for me when I got one online and needed a repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

It's a private sale so consumer rights doesn't come into the equation. For warranty you're going to be subject to the manufacturers terms. They'll have a production date of the serial/imei number which is likely a few months earlier than when you receive the phone. Who knows how long is left on it? Perhaps there's a way to check the imei on the manufacturers site?

If warranty is that big of a concern, I'd be looking for a cracking deal or I'd not bother with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Denny_Crane

As above but just check that the warranty is transferable. You may find that the manufacturer requires proof of purchase, this can be purely for the purposes of establishing a purchase date as dealt already or because their warranty only applies to the original purchaser.

Advertisement