Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is gmail search so so bad ?

Options
  • 08-01-2017 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭

As the title says , why?

Google is amazing for searching the web, but for gmail I have lost emails and documents that I know exist and have found them eventually by manually
    trawling through my inbox.

I asked a big data expert once and he gave me a really good answer - I can't quite remember now tho :o

I would have thought if they can search the web so efficiently , whats the problem with an inbox ? - the contents are a lot lot less complex.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Do you know who emails are from, or words contained in the email?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

A good trick is "has:attachment" that will list all emails that have one (without quotes).

If you click on the faint down arrow at the end of the search box you'll get more advanced options too.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Google search deals with multiple users against 1 data set (the web). It can learn what users actually want.

Gmail search is 1 user for an unique data set. There's no aggregated learning there, only heuristics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

ED E wrote: »
    Google search deals with multiple users against 1 data set (the web). It can learn what users actually want.

Gmail search is 1 user for an unique data set. There's no aggregated learning there, only heuristics.

Sounds like what big Data guy told me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jenearl

Very frustrating isn't it... For what it's worth, I tend to turn off conversation view - that makes trawling through manually a lot easier. But like me_irl said, it helps if you're searching for one with an attachement so you can use that neat little trick!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I find gmail to be faster to search, over inbox.

Advertisement