Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discussion on performance enhancing drugs (PEDs) in Irish amateur cycling?

Options
  • 08-01-2017 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Is this something that would be permitted to be discussed on this forum?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Doc07

eh7mfe0 wrote: »
    Is this something that would be permitted to be discussed on this forum?

As it's one of my favourite topics I would love to discuss this. There is a risk of ruining a good debate with damaging gossip and accidental or malicious 'mistruths' so perhaps PM a mod first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

How many people have been caught? Ciaran Kelly for Clenbuterol at the Gorey a couple of years back, any others?

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/irish-rider-banned-for-four-years-after-positive-test-for-steroids/

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OP, rather than starting a thread with a question for moderators, please PM them to discuss

In this particular case it depends what you wish to discuss, particularly in light of our rules prohibiting speculation on dopers. As has already been mentioned there have been cases of amateur cyclists being sanctioned, and searches of the forum will reveal discussion on such cases, and certainly the one mentioned by Inquitus above.

If you are still unsure what is acceptable please PM me or one of the other mods

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

Personally i've been offered tramadol (not prohibited) by another cyclist, The look i gave him made him shrug it off as a joke.
    I personally can't see the point but then i haven't that highly competitive personality that goes hand in hand with professional sportsmen/women, highly successful business person and sometimes drug cheats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

what an interesting first ever post on boards by the OP!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

My sentiments exactly. The seemingly random username doesn't help either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I say let the man speak!

Could be a scoop! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a cyclist enjoying a scoop is hardly performance enhancing, surely? more performance degrading, i would have guessed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

a cyclist enjoying a scoop is hardly performance enhancing, surely? more performance degrading, i would have guessed.

And the rest

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Explains some of the CX results around here :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

CramCycle wrote: »
    Explains some of the CX results around here :pac:

As Kris Kristofferson said "you've been reading' my mail'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faF0wOsVucw

@2.14

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Actually a pint can enhance your performance, not enough to make a real difference, unless you drink loads!!!

Oh wait:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Weepsie wrote: »
    Possibly a regular poster under a new alias?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

There are plenty of countries where doping has occurred in the upper echelons of amateur cycling. This is a good article on the subject.

http://www.velonews.com/2016/06/feature/totally-amateur_408457
    An anonymous 2014 survey of 4,000 athletes conducted by Scottish anti-doping researcher Paul Dimeo determined that 10 percent of Category 1, 2, and 3 amateurs in the United States had used performance-enhancing drugs at some point in their racing careers. Using USA Cycling’s membership figures for that year, that works out to approximately 1,720 riders muddying up the results of races from coast to coast.

The 10 percent figure is likely low. It’s the highest one that researchers are confident in from a scientific perspective, but the actual number could be higher. The same study concluded that only 70 percent of racers could be confidently said to have never used any illegal performance-enhancing substances.

Riders have also been caught in the UK

- http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/amateur-cyclist-46-caught-on-epo-in-local-tt-after-sample-retested/
    A veteran cyclist from Britain has been caught using blood-booster EPO after a sample he gave at a doping test following a local time trial was retested.

UK Anti Doping said while Robin Townsend (46) had tested positive for the stimulant modafinil in a 100 mile TT last September, his sample was rechecked after it received further intelligence about his drug taking.
    - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/drugsinsport/12160508/Doping-culture-that-is-threatening-to-ruin-British-amateur-sport-could-be-worse-than-anyone-realises.html
    On the same day as Evans’ admission, UK Anti-Doping announced a four-year ban for Andrew Hastings, a British Masters champion (age 35-39), who tested positive for metenolone and stanozolol.
    Then last month Robin Townsend, a 46-year-old club rider, tested positive for the stimulant modafinil and was also handed a four-year ban.
    These were not professionals trying to win the Tour de France and earn millions in sponsorship and prize money. Townsend tested positive after finishing ninth at the Burton and District Cycling Alliance 100-mile time trial.

Obviously the bigger the amateur racing community the more incidents of doping there are likely to be, economies of scale so to speak...

It is, one would imagine inevitable, that there are some amateurs cheating here in Ireland, but given the prohibitive costs involved in testing, and the lack of any clear benefit in spending the money required to catch those who are, it is unlikely too many positives will turn up.

Given you have to be pretty stupid by all accounts to have drugs in your system on race day, and simple common sense precautions can ensure you do not, it is unlikely that targeting a particular race would catch all those who are cheating, and out of competition testing for amateurs is clearly not worthwhile.

At the end of the day it is just sad that some people would consider risking their health to win an amateur race in any country, but if it is happening in other countries , then it is likely happening here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 eh7mfe0

topcat77 wrote: »
    Personally i've been offered tramadol (not prohibited) by another cyclist, The look i gave him made him shrug it off as a joke.
     I personally can't see the point but then i haven't that highly competitive personality that goes hand in hand with professional sportsmen/women, highly successful business person and sometimes drug cheats.
    Weepsie wrote: »
    Possibly a regular poster under a new alias?
    Correct Wishbone.

Topcat - thanks for sharing. May I ask what level you were both racing at?

fat bloke wrote: »
    I say let the man speak!

Could be a scoop! :)
    No scoops, just whispers and rumours which I wouldn't share here

Inquitus wrote: »
    How many people have been caught? Ciaran Kelly for Clenbuterol at the Gorey a couple of years back, any others?
    was he targeted? Or was that positive from a test after a result at Gorey?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

was he targeted? Or was that positive from a test after a result at Gorey?

Seriously, just google it. Loads out there on that case.

On Rumours and whispers, no doubt there are some which are true, no doubt there are and have been amateurs trying various PEDs, but I'd be willing to bet an awful lot of rumours have begun with some people who just don't or won't accept some people have trained harder, or are just better, or that they themselves are having a bad season or that luck has helped in some way.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Correct Wishbone.
    Sorry eh7mfe0, but it's against site rules to run dual accounts without specific permission from an Admin or a Boards employee

To everyone else, please don't discuss posters in this way. If you have any concerns/suspicions, please report it to the mods

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Correct Wishbone.
    Sorry eh7mfe0, but it's against site rules to run dual accounts without specific permission from an Admin or a Boards employee

To everyone else, please don't discuss posters in this way. If you have any concerns/suspicions, please report it to the mods
    Sorry.

OP you have not contributed anything to the discussion and are not now permitted to do so. In the circumstances I'm closing the thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement