Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV Finance IT

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

punk_one82 wrote: »
    It is very expensive but 85k is a decent salary. It's not amazing by any means, but you'll more than get by on it. What's the role/years experience? Try negotiate up for sure, you'll probably get extra.

Congrats on making the move!

Cheers punk_one82. It was a Financial Business Analyst Role. Years experience wasn't stipulated but I just wrote out examples of my experience and mapped them the to requirements in the job spec. In the end they went for someone who could start immediately as the project is a bit behind schedule. Bit of a setback as there was good engagement with the company and it certainly was a crossbar. The HR girl was really apologetic as she had previously given a strong indication that I would get the role.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. I'm still filled with confidence. The Apps I've downloaded are displaying lots of new job opportunities every day. I'm just really looking forward to get out there.

I've been looking at areas to live the last few evenings. Surrey Hills is the frontrunner at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Expect to pay large sums of money in Surry Hills for not a lot of space, probably in a share house with lots of other people. The rent there is not worth it IMO. Places like Redfern are right next to Surry Hills and probably a bit cheaper. Once you are on a train line that goes through Newtown and inner west area its not too bad.

Enroute to Sydney now. Will update the thread of the trials and tribulations as I embark on this journey. Still no job lined up but aim to have one by end of next week. Going to spend the first night in a hotel and then split the rest of the week up between backpackers hostels and my cousins couch. When I get a job nailed down I'll look at areas to rent that suit the job location.

Its literally a month ago I started this thread. Things have moved fast. Exciting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 kkeith5

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Enroute to Sydney now. Will update the thread of the trials and tribulations as I embark on this journey. Still no job lined up but aim to have one by end of next week. Going to spend the first night in a hotel and then split the rest of the week up between backpackers hostels and my cousins couch. When I get a job nailed down I'll look at areas to rent that suit the job location.

Its literally a month ago I started this thread. Things have moved fast. Exciting times.
    Best of Luck hope it all works out for you, I just moved to Melbourne staying with a friend and hopefully will get a job here soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Went into USIT today and got the ball rolling with the missus. Were not flying until Nov it looks like, but looking forward to learning from you guys :)

• Advertisement

Went into USIT today and got the ball rolling with the missus. Were not flying until Nov it looks like, but looking forward to learning from you guys :)
    A lot of the stuff USIT does, you could do yourself on the Australian government website like getting the visa and tax number and you can set up a back account yourself from Ireland with commonwealth or westpac (when you get here just go to any of the branches and they will verify it). Although it is good to have someone do that stuff for you especially when you first get here and not  use to the area, not sure if it is to much different in price in the end.

Hey guys I came across this site http://irisharoundoz.com/blog/2016/11/30/find-a-job-when-you-arrive-in-australia/ and they recommend www.geoffreynathan.com a recruitment agency that helps Irish get jobs in Sydney if you are the Finance sector but also if you are in the engineering and IT sector. It might help you guys who are going to Sydney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

What a day to land. It's not always this hot I promise you but, tomorrow will be worse!

Welcome to Sydney!

kkeith5 wrote: »
    A lot of the stuff USIT does, you could do yourself on the Australian government website like getting the visa and tax number and you can set up a back account yourself from Ireland with commonwealth or westpac (when you get here just go to any of the branches and they will verify it). Although it is good to have someone do that stuff for you especially when you first get here and not  use to the area, not sure if it is to much different in price in the end.

You know what Keith, generally I would do it all seperate. I just said screw it, it probably would all cost around a similar amount anyway, and they have a presence there so at least it's a slight safety net while we get on our feet there. At least I don't have to worry about it you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

just be careful you don't stick to the tarmac crossing the street :eek:

• Advertisement

Hi Guys,

Landed late Thursday night and into a hotel. Last few days have been crazy hot. I've done a fair bit of the touristy stuff just to tick those boxes. Seen the opera house and the bridge on the first day and then on Saturday went to Bondi and did the Bondi-Cogee walk. The sights on that walk are so beautiful.

Yesterday I went to the infamous Cock and Bull at Bondi junction. That was an experience. Met a lot of people out and about and even from just talking to people job opportunities have presented themselves.Now that my partying is done I need to knuckle down and get a job!

I set up a Bank Account at home with Commonwealth Bank and dropped into the branch on Friday to collect the card. Very efficient process.

Currently staying in Zetland about 4 miles south of the CBD. Very nice and modern area. Apartments are lovely and well equipped with a swimming pool and gym in the complex. No shortage of cafes, shops and bars. I'd settle here.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

Hi Guys,

Landed late Thursday night and into a hotel. Last few days have been crazy hot. I've done a fair bit of the touristy stuff just to tick those boxes. Seen the opera house and the bridge on the first day and then on Saturday went to Bondi and did the Bondi-Cogee walk. The sights on that walk are so beautiful.

Yesterday I went to the infamous Cock and Bull at Bondi junction. That was an experience. Met a lot of people out and about and even from just talking to people job opportunities have presented themselves.Now that my partying is done I need to knuckle down and get a job!

I set up a Bank Account at home with Commonwealth Bank and dropped into the branch on Friday to collect the card. Very efficient process.

Currently staying in Zetland about 4 miles south of the CBD. Very nice and modern area. Apartments are lovely and well equipped with a swimming pool and gym in the complex. No shortage of cafes, shops and bars. I'd settle here.

what happened to Surry hills? :P Im living there for the past 6 months and I bloody love it..
    nice one , its a nice spot there. All you need to do now is pick a footy team for the season that starts in two weeks and you are good to go haha

what happened to Surry hills? :P Im living there for the past 6 months and I bloody love it..
    nice one , its a nice spot there. All you need to do now is pick a footy team for the season that starts in two weeks and you are good to go haha

I have some family out in Zetland with an apartment and it's very handy. Nice little shopping centre and modern spacious apartments equipped with a gym and a pool. Green Park Station is close by. I still have not picked up a job yet but when I do, I may still end up in Surrey Hills. I must say, I'm very impressed with the amount of good quality accommodation options out here within close proximity of the city centre. No shortage compared to at home.

Yes, I would love to play some football. Any recommendations? I played at a good club level at home so might be some use. At the moment I'm very unfit and sunburnt:pac: Typical, straight of the plane and I got toasted on Bondi last Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

yeah i know the spot , Its just that little bit too far out for me , I do some bar work in Darlinghurst so , need to be close by. And yeah , no shortage of places , Rent prices are not as apocalyptic as a lot would say.

haha sorry , I have no idea about football , when I said footy , I meant Rugby League :P

Need any hints or advice on anything , drop a PM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Yes, I would love to play some football. Any recommendations? I played at a good club level at home so might be some use.

Depends where you end up living but the closest team to Zetland I can think of is in Mascot http://mascotkingsfc.com.au/

Check out the ESFA website and see if there are any closer. http://www.esfa.com.au/Clubs/MensLeague.aspx

Update. Really enjoying things so far in Sydney. The weather was great until the last 3-4 days where it pissed rain. Just bagged my first job with one of the Big 4 banks on a contract. Its more operational than Business Analysis work but the foot is in the door so will hope that I get sponsership after the 6 months.

Sydney, is really, really expensive so much so that I have decided its more cost efficient to go to Vietnam (Im actually writing this post at 38000 ft) for the next two weeks until I start my new job.

To be honest, I found the job hunting quite tough in my area. Most recruitment agencies and employers seemed to be put off by the fact that as part of the WHV I can only work for a company for 6 months before having to move on. But if your willing to move into other areas such as traffic control or construction it wont be much of an issue.

As for friends, I travelled out on my own but really have kept to myself so far bar speaking with my housemates, cousin and a few Tinder dates. I havnt gone on the beer much due to the prices which are extortionate. I will be hoping this aspect of my life falls into place once I begin working.

The 6 month rule is the one big thing that a lot of people find to be a hurdle. The good thing for yourself is you seem to have skills that are in demand and they are willing to take you on with a contract role. Lot's of businesses and government agencies do this so they can reduce numbers or if somebody doesn't meet their expectations. If they do, usually another contract is given or hopefully they take you on full time with sponsorship in your case.

The other good thing with being contract is the rates are usually higher than a full time/permanent role but without sick pay etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Update. Really enjoying things so far in Sydney. The weather was great until the last 3-4 days where it pissed rain. Just bagged my first job with one of the Big 4 banks on a contract. Its more operational than Business Analysis work but the foot is in the door so will hope that I get sponsership after the 6 months.

Sydney, is really, really expensive so much so that I have decided its more cost efficient to go to Vietnam (Im actually writing this post at 38000 ft) for the next two weeks until I start my new job.

To be honest, I found the job hunting quite tough in my area. Most recruitment agencies and employers seemed to be put off by the fact that as part of the WHV I can only work for a company for 6 months before having to move on. But if your willing to move into other areas such as traffic control or construction it wont be much of an issue.

As for friends, I travelled out on my own but really have kept to myself so far bar speaking with my housemates, cousin and a few Tinder dates. I havnt gone on the beer much due to the prices which are extortionate. I will be hoping this aspect of my life falls into place once I begin working.
    I was just wondering how honest you were about your visa status on your CV or cover letter? I've just arrived in Melbourne and am struggling so far with the WHV restrictions. I have about 4 years experience in IT sales and a masters' degree. Should I just not mention anything about what visa I am on in the cover letter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

I was just wondering how honest you were about your visa status on your CV or cover letter? I've just arrived in Melbourne and am struggling so far with the WHV restrictions. I have about 4 years experience in IT sales and a masters' degree. Should I just not mention anything about what visa I am on in the cover letter?

No don't mention your visa.

Don't mention it but be aware most jobs, upon advancing to interview stage MAY require proof of residency of citizenship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

I'm finding the recruitment agencies extremely slow to respond. Is it better to hound them with calls or call in to them in person in peoples experience?

In my cover letters I stated that I was on a WHV. I was honest and up front with all the recruiters I spoke with. You will have to submit Visa info anyway if you land a job. My crowd did a very detailed background check on me. The project role I'm in now has a hard stop finish for the end of June so in my mind I will be going farming probably mid July.

The WHV restrictions were a significant blocker for me getting a job in my proffession however I'm very lucky that I picked up the role I did at the same time.

If I could go back a few months I'd probably get the regional work out of the way. That gives you a lot more road in front of you in the eyes of a recruiter.

I'm finding the recruitment agencies extremely slow to respond. Is it better to hound them with calls or call in to them in person in peoples experience?

Hound them. As far as I can see and from what I hear they are dealing with a huge number applicants for every position advertised. I got my role by sending a recruiter a message on LinkedIn. Make sure to keep active there.

Hey just sending out some feelers on the WHV jobs at the moment, would anybody have any recommendations about recruitment consultants to get on to?

Advertisement