Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing 3yr old to swimming

Options
  • 08-01-2017 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

I hate water and haven't set foot in a pool since primary school but the guilt is now setting in so I'm planning on taking my 3yr old swimming this Saturday. I just want it to be fun to get him used to the water but I've no clue what to expect. What do i do once we get to the pool? Should I bring toys? Are there exercises I should do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I've been bringing my first since he was 6 mo, and he loves the water. Now that I read your post, I'm feeling a bit guilty that my 1yo has been so little (older guy at lessons since he was 4, so have had very little time).
    Try go somewhere with a good warm baby pool if possible. You could bring a couple of bits, but on a sat it'll be busy, so you might just draw other children on you! Your son will guide you as to what to do. They just love splashing around! If you have a look, some places have lessons for smallies, which can be good fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

yellow hen wrote: »
    I hate water and haven't set foot in a pool since primary school but the guilt is now setting in so I'm planning on taking my 3yr old swimming this Saturday. I just want it to be fun to get him used to the water but I've no clue what to expect. What do i do once we get to the pool? Should I bring toys? Are there exercises I should do?

A few armbands is a good start and the facility should have them to purchase. I'm sure the child will be frightened to begin with but they will get used to it once you bring them regularly. I would suggest just a half hour dip max in the pool as it does get quite cold once you get out of the water and straight into a warm shower!

I assume at this stage the child is toilet trained? Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

He is toilet trained alright. I think i'll be more nervous than him. I'm already feeling nauseous thinking about the smell of chlorine

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭lenihankevin

Waterbabies are a great company that specialize in baby swimming classes...you could try them...I found them excellent and I'm not great in the water myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭otwb1

Honestly I think that you should go on your own first so that you are comfortable in the water yourself. If you are nervous then the child will pick up on that. A lot of the public pools do adult beginner swimming lessons - everyone is in the same boat.

otherwise try a baby/toddler swimming session (again, public pools may have these) so that there are other toddlers around and you both don't get overwhelmed by older kids jumping in around you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

If you are nervous around water it's a really bad idea to go on your own with him on a busy Saturday. You could pass on a lifetime fear. So I would suggest toddler swim classes or the child's father bring him.

Armbands aren't great as they can restrict movement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Warm pool, and please please don't get him armbands. There's no need for them, and they learn to swim much better without them. It's like giving a baby with perfectly working legs a set of crutches to learn to walk. 
    No need to bring toys. it's not a bath. There will probably be floats and noodles around, ask the lifeguard. 

Ideas on what to do in the pool
    - a bit of splashing and kicking his legs
    - Stay within your depth, hold him and swish him around in the water
    - Let him jump in off the side from sitting, and you catch him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Let him in to splash! Convey confidence (on your part) - if you need to stay in the shallowest part of the pool to do that, then that's just fine. You'd be amazed at kids, they don't see the fear, they don't have the preconceptions we do :)

Warmish pool, no more than 30 mins and bring him a snack for the way home. Also plan your bag with military precision!!!!

Advertisement