Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adventure race

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

Was looking at the same myself. Friend of mine has gone out and bought himself a CX bike just for doing these types of events.

I was trying to convince him his road bike would be fine, just stick on some different tyres that would be more suited to the terrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Ah the cx bike- neither meat or fish!

I know these roads are good for a racer bike but is there some reason they discourage carbon bikes?

I don't fancy a mtb up shea elliot etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Foxmoves

I did the sport one last year and carbon road bike is fine / perfect in my opinion.

I found the cycling route fine but those in our gang that didn't do as much cycling found the second leg Cycle hard enough.

The run to the kayaks is tough at the start so be ready for that.

All in all a good day out.

The one piece of advice I would give is to figure out how you will get back to your car after, rather than walk. It is not too long (circa 2km) but you might not be in form for it. If you have 2 cars in your group, leave one at the finish if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭micar

There are guys who use TT bikes.

I did a few expert races last year (glendalough, killarney, dingle, moxie, achill and one up north) and would always used road bike.

These races are on fairly decent roads

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭fletch

For Quest Glendalough, definitely a road bike. The cycle is all on sealed roads. For Gael Force West though I would consider a cyclecross/hyrbid as there are 2 fairly nasty cycling sections on very rough roads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

fletch wrote: »
    For Quest Glendalough, definitely a road bike. The cycle is all on sealed roads. For Gael Force West though I would consider a cyclecross/hyrbid as there are 2 fairly nasty cycling sections on very rough roads.

A road bike is grand on Gael force. Probably best option. A hybrid will lose you loads of time.

There's only one dodgy section near very end and you're over that in 5 mins. Might go for gatorskin tyres but it's quicker than a hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭fletch

Djoucer wrote: »
    A road bike is grand on Gael force. Probably best option. A hybrid will lose you loads of time.

There's only one dodgy section near very end and you're over that in 5 mins. Might go for gatorskin tyres but it's quicker than a hybrid.
    Yeh you're probably right...tyre choice is definitely more important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

fletch wrote: »
    For Gael Force West though I would consider a cyclecross/hyrbid as there are 2 fairly nasty cycling sections on very rough roads.

If you have decent handling skills you could manage that final section too on the road bike without having to dismount. Last time I did it the only time I had to hop off there was because there was a group walking which were holding me up.

Biggest bike trouble I've had in that race was trying to find it again after Croagh Patrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Howdy,
    Do people use mtb's or road bikes at these events?
    Looking at quest Glendalough - the route is one I know quite well so I'd imagine a road bike but am I missing something?

http://questglendalough.com/race-information-documents/

Ta

Quest Glendo is a super route.

Road bike all the way - gatorskin tyres or equivalent, compact groupset and 34x28 as your easy gear for when the leggies get tired. Two 750ml bottles with HiSugar gunk + anti-cramp (either NUUN or dioralyte sachet)

Best of luck, there are 4 hard steep sections on the cycle and the run to the kayak is harder then it looks. You can leave another bottle of 750ml HiSugar gunk+anti-cramp at the bike drop and lash that into you before the run to the kayak.

Advertisement