Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch Predictions, Hopes and Dreams...

• 09-01-2017 12:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭

A few days until the big reveal about price, launch lineup and possible unannounced features, how do you think things will pan out?

I think they'll go for 2 SKUs again (basic barebones version and premium version with extra accessories and bundled games). I think the premium version will be somewhere in the €300-350 range (any more than that would hurt it, any less would be a huge surprise).

I expect many Wii U games will be available digitally at launch, with some of the more high profile games available as boxed versions.

I'm hoping for a fully realised account system. Sometime between now and March, everyone's account will be updated to free the NNID from your console. Virtual Console will be on Switch, and Gamecube games will be available at launch. It would be excellent if games I have already bought made the jump across to the Switch (for free).

I also expect a VR headset (sold separately).

Games featured - new Mario, TLOZ Breath of the Wild, updated Mario Kart (with all DLC and a proper battle mode included), new Splatoon (with all maps, extended Single Player and 4 new maps included), Skyrim (full version with all DLC), Smash (with all DLC), Xenoblade, Mario Maker (with lots of extra levels bundled and a world map builder?), new Mario/Rabbids RPG crossover (which has been rumoured for the last week), and lots of indie games.

Retro Studios have apparently been working on something secret for a while now, so don't be surprised to see a new Metroid announced.

Too much to ask for? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

I'd also like to see two sku's, one with a game and pro controller packaged. Ideally I'd love to see a high capacity storage version too, but this seems very unlikely. Will have to pick up a large sd card or whatever is needed!

Games wise, I'd love to see Zelda at launch. If there's a new mario I'll get that, and Mario Kart also, even if it just 8 redone. Third party, games I'd love to see would be Doom, Overwatch, a Dark Souls Trilogy, Rocket League, Stardew Valley and a few surprises. Keeping my expectations low on the third part front though!

I really hope they sort out their online. I'd have no issue with paying a subscription, just like on Sony and Microsoft, but would expect them to do a similar "free" monthly games package, virtual console games would be cool! I hope my current VC library are not written off, that they carry over somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm hoping they just reveal first party games that are launch, launch window or within the year. For third party, they can be ones that are due next year for all platforms, just to show it's getting the same games as the other platforms.

I don't think they'll bundle the pro controller as they will see the one you slip the Joycons into as enough. Personally, I think I'll be playing with the joycons separate a lot since it'd be so comfortable.

I want to see them announce something that shows they can run the same games as PS4 and XBone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think, whatever about the one seen in the recent promo videos, with docking and the like, they'll sell tons of these things with a portable only package, featuring no dock at all, marketed to the 3DS crowd, with a Pokemon included.
    The third parties will flock to the format once the device takes the place of the 3DS in the hearts and minds of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I don't think they'll blow their load at launch, so to speak. We'll get Zelda, Splatoon/Mario Kart 8, whatever their Wii Sports equivalent is, then Lego game, Arkham knight definitive, call of duty, FIFA, Skryim. Then for the rest of the year we'll get Pokemon Stars, 3D mario, Animal crossing, Wii U ports. I'm gonna say 250 base mode, 300 premium.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,747 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mr E wrote: »
    Retro Studios have apparently been working on something secret for a while now, so don't be surprised to see a new Metroid announced.

Retro aren't the team they used to be. They've been much reduced in size since the Metroid prime days so I'd say it will be a project along the lines of their Donkey Kong games... which is no bad thing.

A 2D Metroid would be nice from them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Inviere

Predictions - It'll be a big success. There'll be a lot of the usual supply restriction that Nintendo seem to play with, which will build hype and demand even more. I'd say two SKU's also, top tier being €350. I predict Nintendo will have learned from the Wii U & the 3DS god awful first years, and ensure the Switch has a solid launch lineup of games.

Hopes - That Nintendo won't make a mess of the VC, and ensure that there's a TON of stuff available from Day 1. I hope they'll review the pricing model, and bring it up to date with things like mix & match custom VC bundles etc (Is 3 NES roms for €5 really going to kill Nintendo?). I hope the controllers will be nice to use, I'm not gone on the look of them (in terms of how they might feel to play), but hope to be impressed. I feel it's far too big looking to use as a casual/every day handheld machine, so hope the console side of it isn't forgotten, and is pushed heavily too.

Dreams - Mario Galaxy 3, Luigi's Mansion 3, 2D Metroid. To be able to unlock digital ports of games you have carts for like Link Between Worlds etc...one can dream :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Inviere wrote: »
    Dreams - Mario Galaxy 3, Luigi's Mansion 3, 2D Metroid. To be able to unlock digital ports of games you have carts for like Link Between Worlds etc...one can dream :)

Would love to replay some 3ds games upscaled to the tv!

I would love to be able to carry over all the VC games I've bought for free and not have to buy them again.

Would there be any chance we could play 3ds games on the switch seeing as though it uses cartridges?

I would love to be able to carry over all the VC games I've bought for free and not have to buy them again.

Would there be any chance we could play 3ds games on the switch seeing as though it uses cartridges?

Nope, no backwards compatability.

Cool, I'll keep hold of my 3DS so :)

I was thinking of selling my Wii U to put money towards the switch but I think I'll keep it. I have so many VC games on it and I'll be shocked if Nintendo offer a free transfer to the Switch.

I'll still be picking up the Switch though :D Can't wait for a new 3D Mario!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

But....

There's nothing to stop Ninty from employing a bit of emulation, as they did with the DS on the WiiU, have 3DS games running on the Switch touchscreen.
    It's certainly possible, if not likely, seeing as we have had most Nintendo formats making the transition to the VC on those consoles that host it.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    But....

There's nothing to stop Ninty from employing a bit of emulation, as they did with the DS on the WiiU, have 3DS games running on the Switch touchscreen.
    It's certainly possible, if not likely, seeing as we have had most Nintendo formats making the transition to the VC on those consoles that host it.

Well yeah, but in terms of cartridges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Region free.

A proper account system that will allow you to not have to purchase Super Mario World for the 16th time.

Decent battery.

Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 HD Remaster at some point.

Achievements/Trophies.

Big, proper Pokemon games!

Manuals in the boxes....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Cardboard boxes, Fire Emblem, F-Zero, Red Dead 2, more amiibo, easy to use online system and no updates, plug and play and bomberman and massive push back towards local multiplayer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

That if they're doing GCN stuff on the VC, Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness is in there. Been looking to play it for yonks but the thing's never outside arm and a leg prices.

Oh, well now
    If it's going to be GC stuff on the Switch
    Eternal Darkness
    Mr Driller: Drill land
    A re-re-release of the Metroid Prime games
    Waverace/1080° HD remasters please!

A home console Etrian Odyssey game would be great
    A proper Pilotwings with none of that Wii Island sh1te
    FZero sequel, natch
    Body Harvest game
    Blastcorp sequel
    Excite Trucks sequel
    Splatoon racing game
    Splatoon Gears of War type game
    A Pokemon RPG
    Super Metroid sequel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

I'd like an optional joy-con with a proper d-pad sometime down the line.

megaten wrote: »
    I'd like an optional joy-con with a proper d-pad sometime down the line.

I'd say there'll be a third party replacement that'll do just that, in the not too distant future.
    But you'll be able to use the more traditional wireless pad if you like, or any you might already have for the WiiU.
    I'm not sure if Pro pads that currently work via the WiiMote are going to be compatible, but I think they are.
    I believe Nintendo have avoided any linking of the Switch and their previous two home machines, but the peripheral compatibility is there, I think.

Good times ahead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'd say there'll be a third party replacement that'll do just that, in the not too distant future.
    But you'll be able to use the more traditional wireless pad if you like, or any you might already have for the WiiU.
    I'm not sure if Pro pads that currently work via the WiiMote are going to be compatible, but I think they are.
    I believe Nintendo have avoided any linking of the Switch and their previous two home machines, but the peripheral compatibility is there, I think.

Good times ahead!

Not even third party I would say, all those patents that got leaked week or so ago showed detachable joy-cons with different configurations, including a d-pad. I think we could see some interesting accessories for the Switch, especially when Kimishima said ages ago there would be some accessories for the device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

If the console has the main Wii U games at launch and virtual consoles for NES, SNES, and GameCube, I'm pretty much sold. They need a great selection of games for the console VC. No more of this drip feed bull. New account system is essential. The ordeal I have to go through to transfer my games from one 3DS to another is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I want a pokemon game with asynchronous / split screen local multiplayer so I can play it with my dear daughters, and ideally with a heros-on-the-telly / villain on the hand-held mode that lets me run my own Team <Name> crew, so I frantically breed & train up zubats and ratattas to give to my field-based flunkies who try to slow the girls down as they make their way through infinite procedurally generated regions to whatever mountain, chasm or impossibly futuristic monolith houses the current Legendary that threatens to destroy the earth. (I know, that doesn't make sense given that it has to be docked for HDMI output, but I'm not the one who put "hopes" or "dreams" into the title)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'm really hoping for a solid online experience. I don't play a lot of multiplayer on Xbox or PS4 but Nintendo games deserve a fun and solid online multiplayer experience.

More of a luxury item but I'd be hoping for a nice headset to complement said online experience. I love single player experiences for sure but nothing is more amusing than potentially listening to the groans of a Boardsie getting destroyed with a blue shell so close to the finish line in Mario Kart 8. :pac:

=

I'm hoping for a multitude of Gamecube games to made available ASAP. Probably one of my favourite consoles from Nintendo so I'd love to revisit some old games.

=

If Ninty released a new Zelda/Mario game at launch, I think that'd be absolutely huge and given how lacklustre their console releases have been, to launch with two of their biggest players would send a positive statement and would certainly be seen as a company learning from their mistakes.

Added to third party titles, it has a lot of potential to be a very strong launch system.

=

As per SKU's... I don't expect anything too major. A base model and a "premium" model.

€250 for base model.
    €300+ for premium model

I just hope they don't overcharge for the Pro Controller. Probably the only must have accessory for the Switch I'll need. I'm pretty sure they're not planning to bundle it with any SKU so it'll be in the hands of Gamestop and Smyths to bundle it appropriately with a game.

I imagine it'll be more like €369.99 I'll end up paying on Day 1. Premium console, Pro Controller + 1 game.

Advertisement