Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funding Advice

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Guzma

Yes. I think it might be beneficial for you too. I agree with djpbarry and don't think you understand what a PhD actually is or entails.

Thanks very much, I appreciate it! I know some of my questions may seem a little naive (such as the question about the holidays), but of course I know what a PhD is. As for what it fully entails, I've learned a lot in the past few months and even more since starting this thread. I can concede that I have definitely neglected looking at postgraduate options more than I should have over the past few years though :pac:
    I find I know the ins and outs of some of the red tape that confronts you and am much quicker at getting around it than my colleagues who were at a different university. I had built up a rapport with a lot of the staff in my faculty during my PhD which helped a great deal in getting things I needed, there were some things I was told I could do but when others went asking they were told no.

As a PhD student the staff treat you more as an equal than as some snotty nosed undergraduate who doesn't know anything. Some staff still won't treat you as an equal but the vast majority do. Your relationship with your supervisor also changes, it is less them telling you what needs to be done for your final year project and more off you go and figure it out for yourself and if you get lost I'll give you a slight nudge.

I started my PhD before I had officially graduated from my undergraduate degree. I had my results just not the certificate. Adapting is not easy, after a full year I still had not adapted fully. I don't think I will be confident I've adapted until I finish. One of the key things you should do is seek help on adapting. I spoke with my supervisor about adapting and attended loads of workshops, I still do. They are invaluable and it amazes me the amount of people that don't attend.

Everybody is different and every PhD is different. As much as my answers will reflect my experiences I'm sure somebody else on this forum will have a completely different viewpoint.

I don't mind the treatment that I receive now overall, but there have been a few occasions where I've really had to bite my tongue about results and other things that I didn't agree with at all. I'm pretty sure I will like the autonomy of doing a PhD if I eventually do end up doing one down the line as I am naturally independent. Though I can see how a good support network could be very important and how being in complete control of your work could be challenging at times. That's one thing that scares me about doing a PhD outside of my home university. It's likely that I would have to leave my girlfriend and I wouldn't have my family there to pick up the pieces when I become stressed. I can imagine that going straight into a PhD like that would have required you to adapt really quickly! I couldn't imagine it, you must have been exhausted during your first year. My university does seem to be very good in the lines of organising workshops and the likes so I'll make sure to attend these.
    One thing I forgot to mention earlier was during my undergraduate I really liked my university but now in my seventh year, I don't. I won't and couldn't stay in it for good or without a long break. I've set a hard limit of 9 consecutive years in my university before I move on regardless of what I'm offered after my PhD.

That's interesting, I guess a change of surroundings wouldn't be any harm. What made things change for you? Personally, I like my university at the moment but I can see how that could change after a few more years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Guzma wrote: »
    This is definitely something I'm going to have to weigh up during the summer and throughout my year out. I can be completely honest and admit that I haven't really looked at options outside of my home university in-depth as of yet, but I'm far more open to moving compared to before I started the thread. I have to consider programmes with a stipend of course, but I currently live at home and I'm in a long-term relationship so I would have to think about it at length.
    If you’re really interested in a career in academia, be it as a lecturer or in research, then you’re going to have to accept that staying at home just isn’t an option in the medium-to-long term.

I don’t mean to offend with my responses, but the harsh reality is that academic research is extremely competitive and good positions are extremely difficult to come by.

Guzma wrote: »
    Hi piratequeen, thanks for the response and advise. Preparing a project for the PhD now would be a huge distraction and could very well have a negative effect on my performance in the upcoming semester. Similarly, I think the application for funding would take up some of my time which is something I'm keen to avoid- especially when there's such high stakes with the final semester. I'm glad everyone is being so honest about the costs of doing a PhD and what it will involve. It has given me a lot to think about and while I was previously 90% sure about taking a year out, I am now approaching absolute certainty.

You're right, it is just not feasible to do a PhD if I don't have funding available. I have had part-time jobs throughout my undergraduate and I was forced to quit my previous job because it was beginning to impede on my work. This may seem like a naive question, but what kind of holidays do PhD students get? In previous years, I have worked during the holidays and I've been able support myself throughout the college semesters. It helps that I live at home, but without funding I will be very limited.

As for moving abroad or elsewhere in Ireland, it's not something that I've given much thought about as of yet. However, it is good to get perspective from other posters here about their experiences and what they recommend. I'm definitely going to evaluate my options more closely when I finish this semester. It would be tough leaving home and my girlfriend, but it's something I definitely have to be open to because it's likely I will have to travel down the line either way.
    A PhD is essentially a full time job (in reality you'll actually work more hours than most full time jobs). You get standard annual leave, not the long breaks you're used to as an undergrad. And you'll definitely want to spend your holidays on taking a break, not more work! As I said, don't even entertain the idea of supplementing yourself with part time work. Get a fully funded PhD (ie. with a stipend) or don't do one at all.
    Kavrocks wrote: »
    One thing I forgot to mention earlier was during my undergraduate I really liked my university but now in my seventh year, I don't. I won't and couldn't stay in it for good or without a long break. I've set a hard limit of 9 consecutive years in my university before I move on regardless of what I'm offered after my PhD.
    Lol, I'm the exact same. Gonna hit 8 consecutive years by the time I'm done, cannot wait to get out of here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Guzma

djpbarry wrote: »
    If you’re really interested in a career in academia, be it as a lecturer or in research, then you’re going to have to accept that staying at home just isn’t an option in the medium-to-long term.

I don’t mean to offend with my responses, but the harsh reality is that academic research is extremely competitive and good positions are extremely difficult to come by.

No offense taken. I've said a few things throughout this thread that have undoubtedly set alarm bells ringing for a lot of people and it's completely understandable. It's better to be honest about these things. If all of you weren't then I could have remained indecisive and taken a fatal gamble. It's clear that my original plan to take a year out is the right decision.

I always anticipated moving out of my city at some point in my life (I don't particularly like it) so it is definitely something I'm going to have consider sooner than I expected. I'm going to weigh up all possibilities before making a final decision for sure.

Advertisement