Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnancy sick leave

Options
  • 09-01-2017 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

If you have pregnancy related illness mon-fri is Saturday counted as a sick day? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

AS fair as I am aware, the weekend days are only counted if you count the Fri and the Mon on seperate weeks. It doesn't matter the nature of the illness however, whether it is pregnancy related or regular illness.
    If you are sick on the last day of term in May/June and the 1st day in Sept, in theory the whole summer is counted as sick leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

TheDriver wrote: »
    AS fair as I am aware, the weekend days are only counted if you count the Fri and the Mon on seperate weeks. It doesn't matter the nature of the illness however, whether it is pregnancy related or regular illness.
    If you are sick on the last day of term in May/June and the 1st day in Sept, in theory the whole summer is counted as sick leave.

Thanks a million.

Sorry me again, just looking for clarification on amount of time on full pay sick leave for pregnancy related? Is it 3 months? A girl in work said each day is now only half a day? Very ill at the mo and struggling to get in :(
    I took out income protection after last pregnancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Millem wrote: »
    Sorry me again, just looking for clarification on amount of time on full pay sick leave for pregnancy related? Is it 3 months? A girl in work said each day is now only half a day? Very ill at the mo and struggling to get in :(
    I took out income protection after last pregnancy.

Millem sick pay is the same for pregnancy or not with one exception. If you run out of sick pay they will not stop paying you entirely while pregnant, you drop to half pay.

What you need to do is
    A) get a record of your sick leave if you don't know it
    B) count back 4 years from today. Count the number of days sick. If it is more than 183 then you have exhausted sick pay and will drop to half pay and stay on half pay (only because you are pregnant, otherwise it would be no pay).

If you have not reached 183 then you do a second count back
    C) count back one year from today. If you have more than 91 days sick leave in the last year then you will drop to half pay and stay there (pregnant). If not, you are entitled to half pay until you hit that 91

PM if you need help understanding it. In simple terms: 183 days full pay in 4 years but NOT more than 91 in any one year

Thanks Mirror wall is it a school year or calander year?
    183 days is 6 months! I thought it was 91 days full pay and 91 half pay? Sorry if that's what you said!! I am not with it....:(

I have taken 6 days certified in the last 4 years but will double check. I have taken 2 uncertified days in the last year and none the previous year. Is it pay roll I ask? On last pregnancy I was sick until day after birth.
    I know I have loads of days left but just afraid incase the sickness stays like last time.

• Advertisement

183 at full pay but no more than 91 in one year otherwise half pay for the second three months. That's the dual count back system

That's good news mirror wall? I thought it was only 91 days full pay over 4 years! Is year sept-aug? Or jan-dec. I am trying to get to mid term

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

183 days is 6 months! I thought it was 91 days full pay and 91 half pay? Sorry if that's what you said!! I am not with it....:(

I have taken 6 days certified in the last 4 years but will double check. I have taken 2 uncertified days in the last year and none the previous year. Is it pay roll I ask? On last pregnancy I was sick until day after birth.
    I know I have loads of days left but just afraid incase the sickness stays like last time.

They use the calendar year for sick leave. You have plenty to take in your situation at the moment. Look after yourself. Make sure it is recorded as pregnancy related.

That's good news mirror wall? I thought it was only 91 days full pay over 4 years! Is year sept-aug? Or jan-dec. I am trying to get to mid term

It used to be a full year in four so it has been halved. And there's a lot of confusion on the dual count back.

The school year isn't relevant, countback is from the day you are on

It used to be a full year in four so it has been halved. And there's a lot of confusion on the dual count back.

The school year isn't relevant, countback is from the day you are on

Oh and try and drag yourself in for one of the days on either side of breaks. If you are out the day before and after Easter for example the whole holiday counts for sick leave. Also generally weekends are counted as sick days

• Advertisement

You have loads. even if all six were in the current calendar year then you have about 12 weeks leave at full pay this year. You also have 7 uncertified on a rolling two year count back

Thanks mirror wall. I had 3 certified in October and 2/3 certified around easter time 2016.
    I took 2 uncertified days 2017, vice p said I could get cert for preg related but I said no I want to use up uncertified! I don't know if that is right/wrong decision!!

Fingers crossed I will be grand in a few weeks but at the mo getting ready etc in the morning is a struggle never mind actually teaching!!

Mirror wall what does "countdown from the day I am on mean"?

Thanks mirror wall. I had 3 certified in October and 2/3 certified around easter time 2016.
    I took 2 uncertified days 2017, vice p said I could get cert for preg related but I said no I want to use up uncertified! I don't know if that is right/wrong decision!!

Fingers crossed I will be grand in a few weeks but at the mo getting ready etc in the morning is a struggle never mind actually teaching!!

Don't use up the uncertified. There are only 7 in two years and you might need them when you return

Mirror wall what does "countdown from the day I am on mean"?

It means you measure the amount of days missed going back four years from this date i.e January 30 2017 to January 30 2013.

Ahhh ok! Thanks a million.
    I will try and ring payroll tomorrow! Also say if I am in in school the morning but have normal pregnancy hospital app in afternoon am I marked in? Or is that day sick leave?

Ahhh ok! Thanks a million.
    I will try and ring payroll tomorrow! Also say if I am in in school the morning but have normal pregnancy hospital app in afternoon am I marked in? Or is that day sick leave?

Antenatal appointments are not sick leave and shouldn't be entered as such by the school

That's again mirror wall. At least I have that income protection ;) Worst case scenario. Please God I won't have it like last time.

Oh gosh I just realised I have taken loads of sick leave as my last pregnancy was in 2013!!!! I thought the was the 4 years worked was say 2010-2014, 2014-2018? They sent me a print out when I was on pregnancy sick leave last time.

That's again mirror wall. At least I have that income protection ;) Worst case scenario. Please God I won't have it like last time.

Oh gosh I just realised I have taken loads of sick leave as my last pregnancy was in 2013!!!! I thought the was the 4 years worked was say 2010-2014, 2014-2018? They sent me a print out when I was on pregnancy sick leave last time.

2013 is a problem depending on what time of year it was. Essentially that sick leave is only about to drop off as you pass the four year mark this year...

It was 12th sept-say 30th November but it was under old rules where pregnancy related didn't count as normal sick leave it was unlimited.

Is that then not included? Oh gosh who would I ring?

• Advertisement

It was 12th sept-say 30th November but it was under old rules where pregnancy related didn't count?

I'm not sure on this Millem, I'd only be speculating. Are you in a union? Give them a ring tomorrow

"As of 10th sept 2015 any pregnancy related sick leave occurred before 1st sept 2014 will be discounted from a teacher's sick leave record for the purpose of calculating access to paid sick leave under the new scheme."

Got that from asti website!
    I am tui

Just to update I rang the leave dept. pregnancy sick leave before sept 2014 has been wiped from everyone's record.
    They were very helpful :)

Mirror wall your counting was spot on....count back from whatever day you are sick and go back 4 years!

Me again with another question!
    Has there been any changes with pregnancy sick leave? My phn told me there were recent changes?

Don’t ask me how I managed to work this year but school couldn’t get a sub so I literally dragged myself in puking in Bags and bins. :( I did have to take some certified sick leave as was put on bed rest by hospital. I still have loads left Thank God

Advertisement