Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodland amenities & walks (South of M7) for Under 5's

Options
  • 09-01-2017 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Hi,
    At this time of the year we're all trying to get little ones (<5 Yrs) out and about in the hope that hibernation hasn't set in. There are plenty of sporting choices for 6-10 yrs (which I'm involved in), but we were looking for other options such as "flat" woodland walks etc. but are there some more local ones (Kilcullen/Newbridge/Naas) south of the M7 (in keeping with the other thread on North/South Kildare) for under 5's? Travel time of over half an hour will either put little people in a sleep or a temper!

There are some resources out there already but is there anything else?
    My Kids Time
    Walking Routes (mostly north of M7)
    Discover Ireland (Great List)

So Far:
    1. Curragh - great for a run around but low shelter can make it cold for under 5's.
    2. Punchestown - Ideal for pushing buggies but you can get locked in...
    3. Donadea - Mid Kildare but perfect for exploring (yearly ticket option)

Any other suggestions for this part of the county?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭chancer007

camphill in kilcullen have a lovely walk for under5's
    its at the back of their premises,where you can walk around on a gravel footpath & see all the animals...really good,lots of families do it..

depends where u park the car on the curragh
    if you park near the golf club,there is plenty of shelter,u can follow the road to the gaa pitches on the curragh..lots of small wooded areas

Kildare food farms is also worth a visit in Rathmuck

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

Emo Court ?
    Bit further south but nice walks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Absolutely love Donadea. 40 euro per year for the Coillte access card, we've gotten serious value out of it. You can get lost in the place (literally).

We're going to be moving further south into Kildare so it's not going to be feasible to visit Donadea much as will be guts of 45-60 mins to get there.

Will try Curragh but I really detest wind, especially cold wind, as does my 4 yr old.

Coillte site gives locations for all their other forest park/recreation places http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/home/ and the ones around South Kildare seem to be:

Mullaghreelan Wood
    Moore Abbey
    Oughaval

I've not been to these but plan on exploring all these when we move.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭froggie76

Pollardstown fen? Has a wooden walkway all the way around, bit bleak up there at the moment but would be nice to visit at different times during the year to see the changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭paddie9

There's a long walk in Kilson wood near Nurney and Kildare verily new.
    Moore abbey monasterevin
    The Moat of Ardascull
    The rock of donamaise

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

paddie9 wrote: »

could you give me directions ?

foodaholic wrote: »
    could

Here's the address off Google maps
    Bohergoy Lower, Co. Kildare

If you come to the pub in Kildoon from Nurney. Turn left, about 2k not sure. There's a turn to the right down a narrow lane. About 1k down the lane it turns right. That's the entrance.
    When you start the walk turn right twice and the left. Good long walk into the bog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

There is a wood in Rathangan called Killinthomas Woods. This has excellent walks and in spring time there are carpets of bluebells and wild garlic which look stunning. The show lasts for a few weeks.

+1 on Camphill in Kilcullen.
    A bit further drive but Russborough in Blessington house is great.
    The park in Rathcoole isn't necessarily woodland but good nature setting with playground.
    Have you considered the walks along the grand canal going through Kildare? Some great trails there

If you are on Instagram, I regularly post about different weekend activities around Kildare., indoor activity suggestions, and general parenting observations. The account is meant for both parents, but mainly ideas for Dads and kids.

https://www.instagram.com/kildare_dadlad/

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭bduffy

Hi Folks, This is great.

So Far:
    1. Curragh - great for a run around but low shelter can make it cold for under 5's. Shelter near the Rugby Pitches and over at Donnelly's Hollow.
    2. Punchestown - Ideal for pushing buggies but you can get locked in...
    3. Donadea - Mid Kildare but perfect for exploring (yearly ticket option)
    4. Camphill in Kilcullen and the Valley Walk (parking across the bridge or along the street)
    5. Kildare Farm Foods in Rathmuck for the animal minded. Free Santa at Christmas also.....Mini Golf @€;5
    6. Moore Abbey Monasterevin
    7. The Moat of Ardscull (easy parking and benches for picnics)
    8. The Rock of Dunamase in Laois
    9. Pollardstown Fen
    10. Kildare Canal Walks (https://www.instagram.com/kildare_dadlad/)
    11. Russborough House (on the N81)
    12. Emo House in Laois (Just 3 minutes off the M7)
    13. Kilson Wood, Bohergoy Lower, Co. Kildare
    14. Glendalough (1/2 day minimum)
    15. Killinthomas Woods near Rathangan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Canal in Naas
    Park in monread + playground
    Liffy walk in Newbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 38 facebeard

I wouldn't recommend Pollardstown Fen as a place to bring young kids, I was there 2 weeks ago and the walkways are covered in dog poo, you'll just ended up dragging your kid around so as to avoid walking in it.

Had a great walk around Moore Abbey Woods - Took the long walk (Count John McCormack) but came equipped with a good buggy which could carry 2 passengers and some picnic bags.....from a previous visit we knew that we'd need the gear!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Tornaxx

I was going to mention Killinthomas but I see it has already been mentioned. Would Garryhinch outside Portarlington be too far away?

Cheers,
    I'll add it to the next list with links and its there for people to check out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Castletown house in Celbridge is a great spot for walks. Nora's much forest walks but good paths and great historic house with a decent cafe

Advertisement