Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Youtube app problems

• 09-01-2017 11:34am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Apologies if this is in the wrong place and apologies too if it's a really stupid question but I've been seeing regular problems with the Youtube and Youtube Kids app in the past few weeks, and am wondering if anybody might have any advice.

We've two smartphones in the house and two tablets - none of them new. Phones are a Samsung Galaxy A5 and A3, one tablet is a Samsung as well (about three years old), and the other tablet is a budget Estar thing that we got for the kids about 18 months ago.

Since about Christmas, the Youtube and Youtube Kids apps (important in our house!) have been working only sporadically - sometimes they work fine, but more times they say things like 'unable to load videos', 'check your network connection', etc.

Network is connected fine at all these times, and everything else runs okay.

Have spent an enormous amount of time googling for an answer, but to no avail. Things I've tried (as suggested by various places in Google results) -

- Clear cache/data etc. in apps settings
    - Uninstall and re-install apps
    - update the operating systems to the latest available
    - Router reset

Nothing works. Still seems completely random whether the apps will work or not when we launch them. Regularly have unhappy kids here as a result!

Anybody any ideas?
    Thanks in advance....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

No ideas, but I have been getting 'unable to load' messages when following a link from outside the app, which gets resolved if I click the link again... as well as blank tiles in the YouTube app, but I put that down to poor connectivity...

I'll be interested to see how you get on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Do videos load using youtube via a browser ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Hi there. Always work okay via browser on desktop/laptop all right. Not actually sure on the phones/tablets. If I try to browse to the site, they just open the app anyway, which is no help. Don't actually know how to make them go to the website rather than the app...and sorry again if that just marks me down as being stupid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭GBX

If you go to settings > apps > Youtube. It should be marked as "open by default". Click this and click the "clear defaults" button.
    Next time you open a youtube link you can then select whichever browser you use as the default.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Hi again. Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you - was waiting for a time when the app refused to work, to see how the browser performed then.

Anyway, apps are not working right now, but the browser is fine. So we have a workaround, at least. Would still prefer to be able to use the apps though, if we could get that sorted out (particularly for the kids' sake, as that's what they're used to). Any further ideas? And thanks again for your help so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

Im having the exact same problem with apple devices in the house on wifi. Android devices work fine...

Advertisement