Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over Night Guests

Options
  • 09-01-2017 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

Looking for opinions on the above....
    I am planning to move someone into my house as a licensee....
    What is reasonable to say to a person do people feel about talking to them about over night guests? I understand it is my house and I can say what ever I want but I want to get differing opinions on what people think....
    You can have an over night guest 1 night a week....You have can have an overnight guest 1 night every 2 weeks...You can have an overnight guest 2 nights a week...Anything else?
    Thanks

Comments

Definitely no more than 2 nights a week and not two nights in a row to prevent someone staying there all weekend regularly.

If they have proven themselves to be a decent sort the not two days in a row could be relaxed on rare occasions if they had someone coming to stay for the weekend from another part of the country/abroad but no way would I be allowing a regular bf/gf full weekend visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Denny_Crane

I do one night a week, which can be banked. So Two nights every two weeks, or in the case of one of the guys who rented the room his girlfriend would come over for a week at a time every so often. As you get to know the tenant leave the rule in place but leave it unenforced, if they start taking the mickey...

Just on licensee's - that's not a catch all for has no rights as some proport. Licensee's have to be given 'reasonable' notice. That's very short term IMHO but you can't throw them out on a whim and with a day's notice so bear that in mind. I'm not suggesting you would but just a heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

I do one night a week, which can be banked. So Two nights every two weeks, or in the case of one of the guys who rented the room his girlfriend would come over for a week at a time every so often. As you get to know the tenant leave the rule in place but leave it unenforced, if they start taking the mickey...

Just on licensee's - that's not a catch all for has no rights as some proport. Licensee's have to be given 'reasonable' notice. That's very short term IMHO but you can't throw them out on a whim and with a day's notice so bear that in mind. I'm not suggesting you would but just a heads up.

I hear ya - I wouldn't do that to anyone anyway....I've foreseen that and I'd simply say 'Don't think things are working out - could you start looking around'

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Eimee90

Does that count if your guest stays in your room only. For example. My boyfriend stays over whenever i want in my rented place. But i never take over the house. He's only in my bedroom. And if we eat, we cook only when the kitchens empty and not interfering with others. Never dream of the living room as its public space.

But i would be annoyed if i had a limit on when he's in my room. Its my space, im not 10, and we are never loud or ignorant towards other housemates.

I wouldnt be so tough, op, on the over night bit but i would on communal spaces because that can be a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

elsa21 wrote: »
    Does that count if your guest stays in your room only. For example. My boyfriend stays over whenever i want in my rented place. But i never take over the house. He's only in my bedroom. And if we eat, we cook only when the kitchens empty and not interfering with others. Never dream of the living room as its public space.

But i would be annoyed if i had a limit on when he's in my room. Its my space, im not 10, and we are never loud or ignorant towards other housemates.

I wouldnt be so tough, op, on the over night bit but i would on communal spaces because that can be a pain.

It's very different when it's a live with the landlord situation. You say you're in a rental so I assume you don't live with the landlord.

Having someone de facto move in and just not using the common areas is still an extra person living there. They'll use extra hot water, extra electricity, extra heating, etc. than if they weren't there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

You have to lay down rules at the outset and no limit is opening up a huge potential for problems. It appears you're renting, whereas the OP is licensing as it's their own house so an extra body is not the same in their situation as yours. Also, you're clearly very courteous and good when it comes to 'communal' areas but unfortunately I've seen people and guests camp in communal areas and go wild with their other half's facilities where they live. Unfortunately you've to prepare for the worse end of the scale and work back.

An extra body means more electricity, more use of common areas, more noise etc.

OP, I had a few licensees previously and I would suggest once a week they can have someone stay and then you can suss out the licensee and any guests they commonly have over you could allow a second non-consectutive night if the one night is working out and you're happy to extend. It's easier to start at one and allow two if you find you're comfortable than starting at two and having to reduce it to one over an awkward conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Eimee90

It's very different when it's a live with the landlord situation. You say you're in a rental so I assume you don't live with the landlord.

I do live with landlord, but to be fair their partner is over 24/7 so i dont feel like i cant. I agree it really does vary on what the house owner wants

If I were setting the rules the max two nights per week and not two nights in a row would apply to the whole house including having them in your bedroom only. It's my house and I would want regular overnight non-paying guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

I am not being tough at all!!!! I've not done anything nor suggested what I will do - just looking for opinions is all!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I am not being tough at all!!!! I've not done anything nor suggested what I will do - just looking for opinions is all!

Indeed.

Fwiw, when i did this as an owner would never have dreamed of having such rules. In fact I'd have seen it as a way to attract dysfunction tenants who were not capable of normal relationships.

The only rules in my house were respect for housemates, and paying bills via a kitty each week ( which i refunded if the amount in the kitty got ahead of the bills amount).

• Advertisement

Indeed.

Fwiw, when i did this as an owner would never have dreamed of having such rules. In fact I'd have seen it as a way to attract dysfunction tenants who were not capable of normal relationships.

The only rules in my house were respect for housemates, and paying bills via a kitty each week ( which i refunded if the amount in the kitty got ahead of the bills amount).

Fact is people rent rooms for the money they don't really want to share. If I was renting a room I'd want to minimise as much as possible the intrusion into my home of the person I was renting to and for that reason there would be rules laid out from the start as strict as I could get away with basically. By get away with I mean still attract a person for the room. Monday to Friday (or sun night to Thursday night) only would be the first choice so the house was mine on weekends if it's a 7 day let then rules like limited nights for guests and no guests all weekend etc have to be put in place or next thing you have a bf/gf staying in your home every weekend.

Advertisement