Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SEC getting desperate???

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Nobody does interview them!

I'm well aware of the recruitment process. I meant that I don't ask people what their qualifications are. Maybe I should have used a different word than interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Wasn't being smart mtoutlemonde! It's kind of amazing really that there's no interview process before appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

It's kind of amazing really that there's no interview process before appointment.

The logistics of that would be insane, would take far longer to interview markers than to mark the papers. And why? You need people (preferably teachers) who can dedicate themselves to the work of marking for a month, who can adhere to a marking system, follow the procedures and stick to deadlines.

It's hard work, but not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    I think it's mostly JC level being referred to. They just tot up the scores again in a recheck no?

When a student pays for a full recheck either at JC or LC, the entire paper is marked from scratch. Totting up the scores again would be pointless as there could be mistakes in marking, e.g. parts of a question marked correct that are incorrect and vice versa, parts of a question or an entire question not marked at all. Tot errors in adding up the marks for a question, errors transferring marks to the mark grid, and finally totting up the scores. I look for all those errors when I view scripts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

As part of my own silent protest against the DES and how they are treating ASTI members, and the SEC for changing/reducing the expenses and not giving a raise for 8 years, I won't be marking or supervising this year.
    Not worth my time or energy anymore and the remuneration is insulting.

• Advertisement

As part of my own silent protest against the DES and how they are treating ASTI members, and the SEC for changing/reducing the expenses and not giving a raise for 8 years, I won't be marking or supervising this year.
    Not worth my time or energy anymore and the remuneration is insulting.

I can see where you're coming from and this is the reason why the SEC are finding it very difficult both this year and last to find superintendents and examiners. I hope you aired your concerns with them as you are experienced and they really shouldn't be losing that experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

km79 wrote: »
    But they aren't qualified teachers ! They should be let NOWHERE near a students state exams.

I don't know about that now. Whatever about LC, but with some direction and measurable knowledge in the subject, anyone could correct a JC paper. I think someone who has taken a subject to degree level would be capable of marking a JC script. IMO the most difficult aspect of correcting is the large volume of work and the pressure you're put under to get it done.

At the same time many teachers don't want to correct. Due to a combination of poor pay and giving up a month of the summer for stress and pressure. 6 teachers from my school took on the role last summer (5 first timers, incl some very experienced teachers), and 2 plan on doing it again.

Notorious wrote: »
    I don't know about that now. Whatever about LC, but with some direction and measurable knowledge in the subject, anyone could correct a JC paper. I think someone who has taken a subject to degree level would be capable of marking a JC script. IMO the most difficult aspect of correcting is the large volume of work and the pressure you're put under to get it done.

I can't agree with this - with some direction - can I do a brain operation? I might try but I'm still not a surgeon. I don't think anyone except qualified teachers should be correcting exams. Maybe if the SEC paid more per paper, the people trained in education and experts in their subjects would correct. Anyway in a few years, we will be correcting our own students so this discussion probably won't be happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I can't agree with this - with some direction - can I do a brain operation? I might try but I'm still not a surgeon. I don't think anyone except qualified teachers should be correcting exams. Maybe if the SEC paid more per paper, the people trained in education and experts in their subjects would correct. Anyway in a few years, we will be correcting our own students so this discussion probably won't be happening.

I think you would need to be clued into the requirements of the syllabus. Sometimes a lot more valid answers crop up that aren't discussed at the conference.... are you going to ring your supervisor every single time, or stick to the spirit of the criteria laid down.

Depends on the subject though. Id hazard a guess that some subjects are more straightforward than others.

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    I think you would need to be clued into the requirements of the syllabus. Sometimes a lot more valid answers crop up that aren't discussed at the conference.... are you going to ring your supervisor every single time, or stick to the spirit of the criteria laid down.

Depends on the subject though. Id hazard a guess that some subjects are more straightforward than others.

Yes I agree with this - someone who only has a degree won't have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ggg16

I've corrected for years and think the reduction in money is nothing short of insulting of late. It used be worth our while. It IS worth doing at least twice I would say, first year finding your feet and second year really taking it all in as you learn so much more than when you go to inservices etc. Without meaning to run anyone down, I honestly can't often tell by the way students approach questions coming up to exams etc when supervising s & s the teachers who have corrected as they honestly have all the tricks passed on. As an aside, I really don't feel people who are not teachers should be let do this. Second year PME students grand.

In more recent years I worked as a principal (vice first) I'm Irish Colleges and found that while the hours were long it was a fabulous opportunity to see amazing teachers at work and make unreal money. Moving our family out there for 3/6/9 weeks works for us and gives us a very enjoyable Summer. That's why I don't correct anymore as it's very difficult with a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Yes I agree with this - someone who only has a degree won't have.

Plenty of people who don't teach in second level would have good knowledge of the curriculum from other pursuits. Either academic, or taking part in TIMSS, PISA and the likes or designing projects for LC and JC for companies other than the SEC.

In my view, a degree and relevant experience would be enough to correct the exam. Perhaps not just a degree with no experience though, which is possibly what you meant.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

ggg16 wrote: »
    In more recent years I worked as a principal (vice first) I'm Irish Colleges and found that while the hours were long it was a fabulous opportunity to see amazing teachers at work and make unreal money. Moving our family out there for 3/6/9 weeks works for us and gives us a very enjoyable Summer. That's why I don't correct anymore as it's very difficult with a family.

Oooh where does one get information on this? I always wanted to teach in the Gaeltach during the summer but figured I'd spend all I earn on rent in a Gaeltacht area.

Advertisement