Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to wear with leg brace

• 09-01-2017 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Looking for some fashion advice, never used the fashion and appearance forum before so thanks in advance.

I wear an AFO (Leg Brace) on my right leg due to a spinal cord injury (that's another story). It's a big clumpy thing, see photos, that slips into a shoe, the shoe has to be pretty sturdy and laced up or tight fitting. I've had to use it for the last 2 years and it's a permanent fixture in my life now.
    Toe off.jpg
    TOEOFF1.jpg

On a day to day bases it's not much of a hassle, I generally wear good casual style runners to work and if I'm going out I wear skinny jeans and knee length boots over the brace so it's not visible.

But I've been invited to a wedding this summer, it's the first time I've really needed to wear a dress since I got the brace and i've no idea how to work around it.

The way I see it, i've 2 choices
    1. embrace the brace (pun intended) and wear a dress with the brace out for all to see
    2. wear a jumpsuit or trouser suit

But both of these options require nice shoes too and i've no idea were to start. I don't want to be the only girl wearing a jumpsuit or trouser suit when everyone else is wearing lovely summer dresses. Long dresses don't suit my shape and as I can't wear heels I get lost in it. I normally go for a dress just above the knee.

Anyone got any fashion advise for me..i'm really lost as to what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I also wear an AFO so I feel your pain! Although I can take mine off. Can you wear a floor length dress and flats? Otherwise I would wear a jumpsuit. I think wearing a shorter dress would attract a lot of attention and could get tiresome for you answering people's questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Galwow

Maybe try on a few maxi dresses and see is there any that take your fancy but if you prefer above the knee I personally would just embrace the brace! I have a dodgy wrist and sometimes have to wear a wrist brace and I actually find it a good conversation starter! All down to you though.
    There are some fab jumpsuits around at the moment, I'm sure there would be others at the wedding wearing them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

Oh it's nice to hear I'm not the only one Loveinapril!

A long dress or maxi dress don't suit me really..I'm too short and get lost it them especially as I can't wear heels.

What type of shoes do you generally go for?

I'm really considering the short dress option..I had the bare legs out over the summer when I was in africa as i was just to hot to wear full length trouser all the time so I got used to people seeing it. I'm also thinking the sooner i embrace it the less hassle it will become in the future, if that makes sense.

But again what shoes to wear? i don't want to be wearing runners or clumpy shoes.

If I wear it with fancy clothes (I am a jeans and boots kinda gal usually) i would wear a sturdy pair of ballerina pumps. I also have a couple of pairs of Red or Dead shoes I live in. My AFO goes up the back of my leg though (MS related foot drop) so the only bit at the front is the velcro strap across my shin. Are you a brogue kinda girl? You could wear a midi skirt/ dress then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

My AFO is the same as the pic in my op..i did try wearing it with conversers style runner before but it broke as there wasn't enough support, so normally I wear good quality casual runners with it now.

Midi dress with knee length boots might work alright, just google an image and it's quite nice, even with knee length boots it's still summery. and just checked out the red or dead shoes range, thanks for that there's some really nice style there that would be suitable for work etc too.

My AFO and usual daily shoes!

....... wrote: »

Thanks for your suggestions, the first pair might be ok as they are laced up but the other 2 are not suitable as wouldn't grip the brace in the shoe.

In africa I was wearing laced up runners with shorts!

My AFO and usual daily shoes!

I really like those shoes..where did you get them?

• Advertisement

That's a great idea, i could do something that would match the material of the dress etc..

Aye Bosun wrote: »
    I really like those shoes..where did you get them?

Schuh. They do the Red or Dead range. They are really sturdy too, and hold up well. I walk much heavier on my better side and the shoes don't wear more on that side, which is why I keep buying them.

I can't quite see that in my head..have you got an image of the style?

Schuh. They do the Red or Dead range. They are really sturdy too, and hold up well. I walk much heavier on my better side and the shoes don't wear more on that side, which is why I keep buying them.

Guess where I'm headed after work?

That could work, with the tights too, as my legs get very cold even in summer due the SCI. Thanks ......

Advertisement