Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 high ESB bills, faulty appliance?

Options
  • 09-01-2017 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

Our last 2 bills have been 330e and 250e. They were actual readings and much higher than what we would normally use, granted we have only been living in this house for 6 months but in our last house it never went north of 200e.
    We had nearly every fixed bulb in the house blow and the cooker crapped out.

Is it possible that a faulty appliance could have increased the usage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

hairyslug wrote: »
    Our last 2 bills have been 330e and 250e. They were actual readings and much higher than what we would normally use, granted we have only been living in this house for 6 months but in our last house it never went north of 200e.
    We had nearly every fixed bulb in the house blow and the cooker crapped out.

Is it possible that a faulty appliance could have increased the usage.

It's possible. I bet though someone has left a heater on.

Happened to me. Frost heater was left on and forgotten about

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

It's possible. I bet though someone has left a heater on.

Happened to me. Frost heater was left on and forgotten about

I went through most of the plugs and switch's, what ever the problem is is on the downstairs fuse, is it possible that a tumble drier, even though it's powered on but not in use, could be causing the problem. When I click that fuse, the usage stops nearly completely.
    The following is connected to that fuse:
    Sky
    Tv
    Router
    PCs and monitors
    3 wi-fi boosters
    Washing machine
    Drier

They all slowing increase the usage until I flick the switch for the drier and it picks up a gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Pull out the plug for the drier or switch it off and see how the meter behaves. Dryer only uses electricity for driving motor to spin drum and heater to dry the clothes. Possible that a stat has gone in the dryer and it stays on constantly while in operation. Is the drum very hot when you open the door?

I was to hasty blaming the drier.
    I unplugged everything that is linked to the downstairs fuse, and it keeps spinning, I hit the fuse and it stops, I don't know what else there is to unplug but it's something connected to that fuse. Is it difficult for an electrician to see where it's going to?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,866 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is it possible someone nearby has illegally hooked up to it?

• Advertisement

Is it possible someone nearby has illegally hooked up to it?

Honestly don't think so, how visible would it be. Would I be looking for a cable running above ground

I think I'll end up picking up a monitor.
    I can see as I plug each item in, it increases slightly but I can never get it as slow as when the fuse is off. Would be nice to actually see what each item is using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

hairyslug wrote: »
    Honestly don't think so, how visible would it be. Would I be looking for a cable running above ground

I think I'll end up picking up a monitor.
    I can see as I plug each item in, it increases slightly but I can never get it as slow as when the fuse is off. Would be nice to actually see what each item is using.

I advise to take your time and try one by one in a safe manner.
    If you dont know what you doing STOP and search for a qualified spark.

A monitor will give you overall consumption and not individual / localised at the fuse/circuit/appliance level. BUT it may help you in finding the culprit if you look at the dashboard and ... test your patience ! It took me few weeks to discover that my PV panels were giving free energy to grid A N D i was paying for it as well !

405915.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Get an owl energy monitoring meter so you can see what your instantly using.

Advertisement