Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

123 and claims loading

• 09-01-2017 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hello, I had a roundabout collision and had to claim off the insurance. RSA have now added a Claims Loading of close to 200 euro to me, on top of a big increase without that. There is no mention of a claims loading in my documentation so I asked them to remove it. They refused and I have made a complaint in the hope it can be removed.

Anyone know anything about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Sapele wrote: »
    Hello, I had a roundabout collision and had to claim off the insurance. RSA have now added a Claims Loading of close to 200 euro to me, on top of a big increase without that. There is no mention of a claims loading in my documentation so I asked them to remove it. They refused and I have made a complaint in the hope it can be removed.

Anyone know anything about this?

How do you know a claims load has been added?

Presumably it was a third party claim, has it been settled?

Depending on the severity of the claim then a loading wouldn't be that uncommon but I'd argue that unless someone has a history of claims ie more than one claim of the same type in the last 5 years then applying a load is harsh.

Have you lost your bonus?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Sapele

Rod Munch wrote: »
    How do you know a claims load has been added?

Presumably it was a third party claim, has it been settled?

Depending on the severity of the claim then a loading wouldn't be that uncommon but I'd argue that unless someone has a history of claims ie more than one claim of the same type in the last 5 years then applying a load is harsh.

Have you lost your bonus?

I got my renewal email and in the details I have a claims loading of 191 euro. The claim was settled in 2015 for 2400 euro and is my only claim ever. I also had a claims loading of 129 last year but did not question it since my insurance was still reasonable but this year it has shot up. It was a roundabout collision when i was deemed in the wrong lane even though i was crashed into. My no claims bonus is still 6 years and was protected and still is. It was really just a fender bender with not that much damage and no injuries.

My gripe is that there is no mention in my policy documents or anything that I have prior to my claim, that i may be hit with a claims loading if i make a claim, so that is why I am making inquiries. Do you think i am being harshly treated and am right to make an issue of this? It does seem harsh to me.

I got my renewal email and in the details I have a claims loading of 191 euro. The claim was settled in 2015 for 2400 euro and is my only claim ever. I also had a claims loading of 129 last year but did not question it since my insurance was still reasonable but this year it has shot up. It was a roundabout collision when i was deemed in the wrong lane even though i was crashed into. My no claims bonus is still 6 years and was protected and still is. It was really just a fender bender with not that much damage and no injuries.

My gripe is that there is no mention in my policy documents or anything that I have prior to my claim, that i may be hit with a claims loading if i make a claim, so that is why I am making inquiries. Do you think i am being harshly treated and am right to make an issue of this? It does seem harsh to me.

That's absolute bullshyt tbh and i urge you to make a formal complaint.

Applying a claims load for a single claim, of such nominal value is pretty despicable.

It COMPLETELY circumvents the notion of a no claims bonus and the protection for it.

They allowed you a no claims discount.

They took premium from you to protect it in the event of a claim.

They load you because you have a claim.

:confused:

Put it writing, headed as being a formal complaint, that you want the loading removed as it was a single incident and it was for such a small amount.

Before you can go to the ombudsman you have to have exhausted the formal complaints procedure with the insurer.

They are legally bound to issue an acknowledgment within 5 working days.

They are legally bound to provide an update within 20 days of them issuing their acknowledgement.

They are legally bound to issue a final response within 40 working days of the complaint being made.

I'd be pretty confident that they will remove the load sharpish as there is no justification whatsoever for applying it.

That's absolute bullshyt tbh and i urge you to make a formal complaint.

Applying a claims load for a single claim, of such nominal value is pretty despicable.

It COMPLETELY circumvents the notion of a no claims bonus and the protection for it.

They allowed you a no claims discount.

They took premium from you to protect it in the event of a claim.

They load you because you have a claim.

:confused:

Put it writing, headed as being a formal complaint, that you want the loading removed as it was a single incident and it was for such a small amount.

Before you can go to the ombudsman you have to have exhausted the formal complaints procedure with the insurer.

They are legally bound to issue an acknowledgment within 5 working days.

They are legally bound to provide an update within 20 days of them issuing their acknowledgement.

They are legally bound to issue a final response within 40 working days of the complaint being made.

I'd be pretty confident that they will remove the load sharpish as there is no justification whatsoever for applying it.

Yes I was thinking the exact same thing as you. I put that to them and they said a claims loading is separate to NCB and i still have my 6 yrs NCB. I didnt press them as to when/what for etc a loading is applied but will do next time. I started the formal complaints procedure and if they still insist on applying the loading I will complain to the ombudsman about it and see if I can get it removed that way.

Incidentally, my insurance was 515 before the accident. It then went to 620 with the first claim loading (129)year 1, now its jumped to 1050!! with a 200 euro loading. I have heard motor insurance is on the up, but is everyone (claims free people) seeing this type of price hike? If they take the loading off my insurance will still be 850, from 515 two years ago.

I'm thinking some companies are just trying to squeeze money out of customers they think they can, shysters

Received a response from 123 complaints. They wont remove the loading so I will file a complaint with the ombudsman and see how that goes.

• Advertisement

Received a response from 123 complaints. They wont remove the loading so I will file a complaint with the ombudsman and see how that goes.

Thanks for update.

I must say, I'm extremely surprised they have not removed it.

If the circumstances are exactly as you describe then there is no justification for the load. It also makes me wonder if they load ever driver that makes a claim.

Thanks for update.

I must say, I'm extremely surprised they have not removed it.

If the circumstances are exactly as you describe then there is no justification for the load. It also makes me wonder if they load ever driver that makes a claim.

Yep first and only claim ever and for 2500 total so maybe they do load all/a lot of claims.

I was a bit confused about who was applying the load 123 or RSA. RSA wont take calls from 123 customers (apart from making a claim) on policy details and tell me its all from 123, they are just underwriting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Any update on how your complaint to the Ombudsman went?

I'm about to have the exact same argument with 25Plus (underwritten by AIG).
    Similar value, claim for €2000 last year, first ever claim (my fault and no other vehicle involved)

Presumably I'm less of a risk now, as I'll be more careful in future?!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Advertisement