Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New apartment ceiling issue

Options
  • 09-01-2017 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hello,

I've just bought a new apartment and there is an issue with a ceiling which I'm not sure if block insurance should cover or not.
    Basically, every time i close bedroom door, ceiling lifts up, which is not visible to an eye and nothing moves, but it makes this weird sound. Exactly same thing happens in bathroom. I push ceiling up from a chair and I hear exactly same sound.

Thanks
    siulas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

I'd be more worried about the ceiling collapsing than the sound. Sorry no help on the insurance side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Is it a new build apartment? If so, have a word with the builder. If not, then I don't see what needs to be fixed, since it's only making a noise.

Is it from a poor fit of the door in the frame, or by causing a pressure pulse with the door?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭siulas

Is it a new build apartment? If so, have a word with the builder. If not, then I don't see what needs to be fixed, since it's only making a noise.

Apartment is not new.
    Is it from a poor fit of the door in the frame, or by causing a pressure pulse with the door?

I think it is from a pressure pulse from a door.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

You could get someone in yourself to look at it but since it sounds like there's nothing structurally wrong with the ceiling, it's not going to be covered by block insurance. You could try closing the doors more softly to prevent the pressure pulse.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Do the rooms have ventilation?

• Advertisement

You could get someone in yourself to look at it but since it sounds like there's nothing structurally wrong with the ceiling, it's not going to be covered by block insurance. You could try closing the doors more softly to prevent the pressure pulse.

Well, this would be just a workaround really, I think my best bet is try to find a builder who could check it and tell me if I can do anything.

MarkR wrote: »
    Do the rooms have ventilation?

No..
    But should that still be happening if there is no ventilation?..

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I was just thinking, if there was a vent, then there wouldn't be a buildup of pressure when you close the door. In regard to should it, no idea.

MarkR wrote: »
    I was just thinking, if there was a vent, then there wouldn't be a buildup of pressure when you close the door. In regard to should it, no idea.

I've tried opening a window and closing door then, still exactly same.

Advertisement