Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a good mortgage broker.

Options
  • 09-01-2017 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

Anyone recommend a good mortgage broker to me. We're living in North Kildare. Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Denny_Crane

Do you though?

If so I'm sure someone has PM'd you a certain person's details. My own experience however (Neg equity, temporary employment on one side, PT employment on the other, rental property we were going to keep) did not require a broker. Brokers limit your options on lenders rather than expanding them so just be sure you need one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

They may do little to circumvent underwriters, but a good one will know what underwriters in different institutions look for so can save you time and offer pretty good advice.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    They may do little to circumvent underwriters, but a good one will know what underwriters in different institutions look for so can save you time and offer pretty good advice.

Absolutely, but will limit the institutions you can apply to and generally charge you. I'm not suggesting they don't have a use. <mod snip> has his rep for a reason. However I found the broker an absolute waste of €200. There is also much less scope, as far as I know - I stand to be corrected - for brokers to use niche providers in Ireland, due to a lack of them.

Once you have your paperwork together it's not hard to approach the banks, I found them most helpful in letting me know whether things were in order. For example BoI were very quick to basically say, thanks but no thanks weres KBC dealt with the type of employment my wife is in on a regular basis.

In fact it was only PTSB (though the broker) that was a monumental waste of time as they eventually were looking for a letter confirming my wife's temporary contract was permanent. :rolleyes:

I was attempting to bring this to the OPs attention through more or less detail but seems they've their little heart set on where they need to go and are looking for recommendations so I'll leave them too it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I've never dealt with a broker that charges, not that I've dealt with a whole load, that's what their commission is for.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I've never dealt with a broker that charges, not that I've dealt with a whole load, that's what their commission is for.

I'd be very dubious of a broker with no professional fee, although I'm dubious of them anyway. They can't give me access to the entire market anyway and in addition to that, the temptation to simply push towards the highest commision for them must be there.

Quick google yields:

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/to-use-a-mortgage-broker-or-not-to-use-a-mortgage-broker-that-is-the-question.159738/

granted it's from 2011. Anyways, OP is clearly going the broker route so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Miamiheat

PM'd you

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭bemak

can I get a PM of a recommended broker in the same area too?

Thanks

Advertisement