Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New House/New alarm

Options
  • 09-01-2017 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

This forum is a gem - i just spent ages reading lots of info....alarms are a whole world i know nothing about!

I have bought my first house - its a mid-terrace two story house. At the back on the ground floor there are french doors and then two windows. Two windows on the top floor at the back. We also have 3 velux windows on the roof of the extension.

At the front we have a bay window and front door with porch, then two windows on the top floor.

We are on a budget as first time buyers but want an alarm system - the house never had one. I see window sensors are important so those would be fixed to all the windows. Is there anything else that is vital or you would recommend? We will get a local company to do it but if i go armed with what we want thats half the battle.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

My advice :
    Get at least 3 quotations from licenced installers. They should call out and survey the property to see what the vulnerable areas are and what would suit your needs best.
    Ask about different systems like HKC, GSD and Siemens Vanderbilt. Beware of the lads who only do or know one system. Also ask about ongoing charges if you are looking for self monitoring apps with remote control. Most are free, but some tie you to charges for their apps and monthly charges to use them.
    On detection you should be looking for sensors and contacts on all ground floor and accessible points of entry. After that one or two infred detectors in the hall /landing areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Many thanks for the reply.

Advertisement