Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tradesman's Insurance - does it exist?

Options
  • 09-01-2017 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

My brother has been repairing washing machines, dishwashers & tumble dryers for the past 15 years for his current employer. He is considering striking out on his own and was wondering if he would need to get some kind of insurance just in case something ever went wrong (like a burst pipe or something......nothing ever has gone wrong in his 15 years), but just in case.

Is there an insurance policy that will cover him & roughly how much would it cost?

He would be operating as a sole trader to start with.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Water can do untold damage and I would consider it best practice and prudent to have the correct insurance cover for his business.
    As a sole trader he leaves himself open to personally paying the cost of any damage as a result of an accident or damage.
    Cost of cover is dependent on the risk assessment by the insurance companies so he will just have to phone around. Expect anything from 500 - 600 to I imagine 1000 max ( I'm basing those figures on my own cover as a heating and plumbing contractor).
    Phone a broker to start off with, Bank of Ireland and FBD do Public Liability Insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭leftfooter

Thanks KF, so that's what I'm looking for then, public liability insurance? Would you know any brokers you'd recommend getting in touch with?thanks again KF
    K.Flyer wrote: »
    Water can do untold damage and I would consider it best practice and prudent to have the correct insurance cover for his business.
    As a sole trader he leaves himself open to personally paying the cost of any damage as a result of an accident or damage.
    Cost of cover is dependent on the risk assessment by the insurance companies so he will just have to phone around. Expect anything from 500 - 600 to I imagine 1000 max ( I'm basing those figures on my own cover as a heating and plumbing contractor).
    Phone a broker to start off with, Bank of Ireland and FBD do Public Liability Insurance.

Advertisement