Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shelter for windy patio area

Options
  • 09-01-2017 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi all,

We have a large garden but it's an extremely windy spot as we're situated at the top of a hill.
    I'm looking at getting our patio area (side of house off conservatory) closed in a bit to try make a nice sun trap.

Was thinking of concrete plastered walls with the top as flower beds.

Anyone have any idea how much something like this would cost?
    Would be 2 walls, 15x30ft

Or open to other suggestions as to how i could close it off from wind.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That would be quite an ambitious project to build walls wide enough to put flowerbeds on top. Are you suggesting a 30 ft wall and a 15ft wall, each (say) 6ft high and double leaf. Are you sure they would shelter you from the wind but still allow max sunshine? Another point is that solid walls tend to create a lot of turbulance on the lee side so you might not be any better off.

Could you put up a pic with an indication of the wind direction and sun path?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭kenneth2

How about a pergola, like this
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/0b/e3/c2/0be3c206188d5c445e956072e02ecce0.jpg
    With a side or two blocked off to shoulder height. So you can sit outside and not get blown out of the patio.
    I like that picture because they built a wall and included a bbq, but you could just use wood screwed to the posts to deflect the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭guideanna

looksee wrote: »
    That would be quite an ambitious project to build walls wide enough to put flowerbeds on top. Are you suggesting a 30 ft wall and a 15ft wall, each (say) 6ft high and double leaf. Are you sure they would shelter you from the wind but still allow max sunshine? Another point is that solid walls tend to create a lot of turbulance on the lee side so you might not be any better off.

Could you put up a pic with an indication of the wind direction and sun path?

O sorry i completely described that wrong. i mean a 15ft long wall with ajoining wall 30ft long.
    I'll try attach a diagram.

i'm not too bothered about the height, not sure how high i'd need to it block off the wind though. shoulder height maybe?

kenneth2 wrote: »
    How about a pergola, like this
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/0b/e3/c2/0be3c206188d5c445e956072e02ecce0.jpg
    With a side or two blocked off to shoulder height. So you can sit outside and not get blown out of the patio.
    I like that picture because they built a wall and included a bbq, but you could just use wood screwed to the posts to deflect the wind.

Don't really love the roof over it idea.
    It look gorgeous but if i'm looking to close off the entire area, 2 side being house and 2 sides being wall then i think the roof would only add to the shading issue and could make it feel too closed in. I have beautiful views from the short end so don't want to block them off if i can.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Forget about flower beds on top...

Build a dwarf wall, maybe 3 feet high, 9" blocks on flat and incorporate into the wall and foundation build, some steel box section that will allow you build a wooden hit and miss fence: google it and look at images.
    Then if it still not enough, you can clip green windscreen material onto the outside..

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

408766.jpg

I hope to finish my diy project this summer with capping and glass to posts

bakerbhoy wrote: »
    408766.jpg

I hope to finish my diy project this summer with capping and glass to posts

I'm only seeing this now, looks fab. Say it's costing a bit with the granite cladding. Has it helped shelter the area, i'd say your a windy spot up at that height?

Advertisement