Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

smallholding

• 09-01-2017 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I have about 11 acres which is currently used as traditional hay meadow ,I sell the grass standing to a horse breeder who cuts and bales it,and payes me five hundred euro for it ,I let a local farmer put about a dozen cattle on it for about a month or six weeks at the back end which I dont charge for ,I think i should make better use of the land ,I also have a large haybarn with a leanto, Im down a lane and you have to go through my yard to enter land ,I dont know much about farming I would welcome any sugestions, I do have a herd no

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

jeff68 wrote: »
    I have about 11 acres which is currently used as traditional hay meadow ,I sell the grass standing to a horse breeder who cuts and bales it,and payes me five hundred euro for it ,I let a local farmer put about a dozen cattle on it for about a month or six weeks at the back end which I dont charge for ,I think i should make better use of the land ,I also have a large haybarn with a leanto, Im down a lane and you have to go through my yard to enter land ,I dont know much about farming I would welcome any sugestions, I do have a herd no

Where about a in the country are you?

Is the land good?

Would you let it long term? You could let it for 5+ years tax free...
    It's all dependant on location and land type / quality, but rental per year could be 150 - 200 euro / acre.
    Which would give you 1650 - 2200

You just missed your chance to apply for GLAS am afraid...

In terms of farming it yourself - you could do this. But the truth is you'd prob make more money letting it...

Best of luck with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jeff68

thanks for your advice ,one problem I would have with leasing it would be anyone leasing it would have to pass through my yard and house to gain access,The land is heavy and I dont know if would suit tillage,Im half thinking about sheep but then I dont know much about them either,Another idea I might investigate is planting xmas trees which I read there is an expanding market for , I dont really want to get into anything heavy as Im retired and just want something to keep Me busy, by the way Im in wexford

Advertisement