Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's my bike worth?

Options
  • 09-01-2017 5:00pm

Hi folks, just looking for a quick opinion on what I could expect to get if I sold my bike (it's gathering dust for the last 18months and I want a new guitar :D )

Trek Madone 5.2, approx 2006 purchase, Discovery Channel team colours OCLV carbon frame/forks, Shimano Ultegra group set, Bontrager Race-XLite wheels. It cost me the best part of 3500 when I bought it new.

Has clipless pedals/polar bike computer with cadence sensor etc, but I know these will add pretty much nothing to it so am just discounting these altogether.

Would I be unreasonable expecting €1000?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Would I be unreasonable expecting €1000
    Probably unrealistic for an 11 year old bike. It'll be worth nothing eventually and it has to get close to that sooner or later.

If it had lost 20% a year it'd be worth €300 now. €1000 would require only 11% depreciation per year.

A lot depends on condition and whether you can find yourself a Trek fan.

€500 might shift it.

Cheers, yeah, I had a sneaking suspicion that that might be the case alright - hardly worth selling for that money, even if it's only out a few times a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If you are still using it, albeit only a few times a year, then hold onto it and continue to use it, you'll get another 10 years out of it easily (or more).

Its worth more to you than anyone else and being honest I cant even see you getting €500 for it but stick it up on adverts and see what sort of offers you get however don't put a starting price of €1000 on it, maybe €700 and hope to get in around the 5 mark.

If you are still using it, albeit only a few times a year, then hold onto it and continue to use it, you'll get another 10 years out of it easily (or more).

Its worth more to you than anyone else and being honest I cant even see you getting €500 for it but stick it up on adverts and see what sort of offers you get however don't put a starting price of €1000 on it, maybe €700 and hope to get in around the 5 mark.

Exactly my thoughts - it'd sicken me to let it go for as low as 500. There's a lot of years left in it given the amount of use it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Exactly my thoughts - it'd sicken me to let it go for as low as 500. There's a lot of years left in it given the amount of use it gets.

Don't sell it so. Keep it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

And that is why Irelands sheds are full of decomposing bikes

Yeah, I won't be selling at that low of a price, it'll get a bit of use alright, maybe not as much as a bike like that deserves, but it'll be used nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

Yeah, I won't be selling at that low of a price, it'll get a bit of use alright, maybe not as much as a bike like that deserves, but it'll be used nonetheless

Looks like air guitar so :)

secman wrote: »
    Looks like air guitar so :)

Already have 6, I'm sure I'll manage.

Guitar acquisition syndrome is just as dangerous as bike acquisition syndrome : serious illnesses!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

You never know when you might get back to cycling, I was off the bike for 10 years , but had held on to a custom built Steel frame with full Dura Ace. Still using same bike along with another bike. The bike will be 25 in April:)
    So it is worth more to you to hold on to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I'm not in the market for a bike but all this talk of full carbon frames for 500e is giving me butterflies. It seems cheap and this is not a car remember so it doesn't lose 50% every 3 years. Have you a pic?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Already have 6, I'm sure I'll manage.

I have a beautiful air guitar case that I'll swap for your bike. I'll even collect and deliver :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

You need a new bike

Boscoirl wrote: »
    You need a new bike

And a new axe.

Bike and musical instruments have one thing in common - you never ever sell them but you continue to buy more.

crosstownk wrote: »
    I have a beautiful air guitar case that I'll swap for your bike. I'll even collect and deliver :D

Is it electric or acoustic?

Is it electric or acoustic?

Wireless.

crosstownk wrote: »
    Wireless.

Bluetooth or ANT+?

Advertisement