Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grinds

Options
  • 09-01-2017 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi guys

I'm a BBS graduate currently in my 1st year of the PME Post-Primary. This is a while away yet, but I was thinking about offering grinds to local students starting in September. At this point I will have 1 year (incl. 1 block of TP) under the belt and should be capable of offering a decent service.

Just wondering do masters students do this sort of thing or should I wait until I am fully qualified? I am guessing it would be ok but not being fully qualified would mean I couldn't charge as much as others might.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

I reckon it depends how good you are. Qualification are a good indication but they aren't the be all and end all of grinds.

I gave grinds in Maths during my masters and was quite comfortable with it. In particular, I was happy that I was definitely helping the students and not charging them a fortune.

On a related note, is there a grinds thread around here somewhere? I remember one but can't find it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Its a private enterprise so do what you want.

Be careful of criticising a student's class teacher or using conflicting approaches.
    Revenue does scout around and someone could report you if they suspect you mightnt be declaring so you might have to pay a bit of tax.

Grinds thread is in the Leaving cert forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

You would not have great experience of the problems students encounter in a class or the exam. But give it a go for one student and see how you get on. Build up your resources

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Be careful of criticising a student's class teacher or using conflicting approaches.

Good advice. It's very easy to criticise the teacher when they have 30 mixed ability students to teach and you have 1. In theory you can go ahead and advertise. In reality it would be hard for you to help them answer long questions in a way that would maximise marks if you don't have experience correcting (on a side note you could correct this summer and you'd be flying by September).
    It works for some subjects. I gave Irish oral grinds during my Dip but wouldn't have gone near the actual LC course.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭mufc1993

Thanks for all the replies!
    dory wrote: »
    Good advice. It's very easy to criticise the teacher when they have 30 mixed ability students to teach and you have 1. In theory you can go ahead and advertise. In reality it would be hard for you to help them answer long questions in a way that would maximise marks if you don't have experience correcting (on a side note you could correct this summer and you'd be flying by September).
    It works for some subjects. I gave Irish oral grinds during my Dip but wouldn't have gone near the actual LC course.

Interesting, how does one go about getting a correcting job? Thought they were all current teachers!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

mufc1993 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies!

Interesting, how does one go about getting a correcting job? Thought they were all current teachers!

I could be wrong but I think it's just a degree needed. I definitely know of people who 5-6 years ago were correcting and had a degree and no interest in becoming a teacher. Fancy leaflets and posters were sent out to schools to entice us to do it, so you could check in school if you got them. The info is all on examinations.ie anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

dory wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I think it's just a degree needed. I definitely know of people who 5-6 years ago were correcting and had a degree and no interest in becoming a teacher. Fancy leaflets and posters were sent out to schools to entice us to do it, so you could check in school if you got them. The info is all on examinations.ie anyway.

I would definitely hope examiners would have at least a degree in the subject they would be correcting. Bear in mind that correcting is not an easy task and examiners must be prepared to work under short deadlines for no real financial gain - hence the reason why teachers are enjoying their holidays. The SEC had a recruitment problem last year with some people applying up to conferences hence the reason for the most colourful leaflets and posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Its a private enterprise so do what you want.

Revenue does scout around and someone could report you if they suspect you mightnt be declaring so you might have to pay a bit of tax.

Grinds thread is in the Leaving cert forum.

Been doing grinds about ten years. I take in roughly 2-3k a year. Never declared any of it. Would not bother. Its only if you are running a small grind school or going into big time. Every year or so Indo runs a scare story about a clampdown..Im still waiting for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Been doing grinds about ten years. I take in roughly 2-3k a year. Never declared any of it. Would not bother. Its only if you are running a small grind school or going into big time. Every year or so Indo runs a scare story about a clampdown..Im still waiting for it.

Sure you want to post that in a public forum though?!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pinkbear

Mrwhite1970, what you're doing is illegal. You have earned, by your own admission, about 20-30k from grinds, so you owe the revenue 10-12k. This is just wrong.

I teach grinds and pay tax on every penny I earn. It's hard to pay my tax at the end of the year, when I know so many teachers aren't, but it's the right thing to do. I also take out insurance for 400 per year, in case any student has an accident in my home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

pinkbear wrote: »
    Mrwhite1970, what you're doing is illegal. You have earned, by your own admission, about 20-30k from grinds, so you owe the revenue 10-12k. This is just wrong.

I teach grinds and pay tax on every penny I earn. It's hard to pay my tax at the end of the year, when I know so many teachers aren't, but it's the right thing to do. I also take out insurance for 400 per year, in case any student has an accident in my home.

Can I ask if you do group grinds? I’d say if a person is only doing 2-3k it wouldn’t be worth it to do it and pay tax out of that.

But if you’re doing group grinds then there’s possibility for big money to be made so you’re better off registering and paying tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭2011abc

pinkbear wrote: »

You must charge some hourly rate to make it worth your while and /or do a lot of hours !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

2 year old Zombie thread reanimated...

Advertisement