Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping rents down by spamming fake adverts?

Options
  • 09-01-2017 5:33pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was reading reddit and saw what seemed like a conspiracy theory from another country where it was alleged a certain group of people where lowering house prices in their area by creating fake adverts with low prices.. and coupled with a thread I read here yesterday about scam adverts on daft it got me thinking if this would also be possible in Ireland?

I don't live in Ireland anymore so I'm not au fait with the rent review process, but my understanding was that it was linked to the current market rate for the local area.. so could someone post up a few fake ads before their rent review and use them to argue for lower rents?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 G.Gershwin

Sounds very....illegal

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

G.Gershwin wrote: »
    Sounds very....illegal
    Well I'm not suggesting anyone do it, just wondering if it could be an exploit with the current rent system.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

It would be a lot of hassle to put up a fake advert and daft charge as well. I think Daft actually keep some of your details also, if I remember correctly.

I suppose it could be done but not by your ordinary joe soap just trying to get his rent review put down in price.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

pilly wrote: »
    It would be a lot of hassle to put up a fake advert and daft charge as well. I think Daft actually keep some of your details also, if I remember correctly.

I suppose it could be done but not by your ordinary joe soap just trying to get his rent review put down in price.
    Thanks for the reply, I was just wondering because it seemed easy enough to put up scam adds according to the other thread I was reading, but I suppose that is for professional scammers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Mod Note: We can't permit discussion of possible illegal activity to change rents. Thread Closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement