Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NFL Divisional Round

• 09-01-2017 6:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,265 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

NFL-DIVISIONAL.jpg

Saturday 9.35pm

Seattle Seahawks @ Atlanta Falcons

Saturday Night/Sunday Morning 1.15am

Houston Texans @ New England Patriots

Sunday 9.40pm

Green Bay Packers @ Dallas Cowboys

Monday 1.20pm Rescheduled

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Kansas City Chiefs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,927 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Three really interesting games there, hopefully it'll make up for this past weekend.

I think the falcons are looking good right now, Seattle are a flawed team in some ways that they are in a good position to take advantage of. And it's in Atlanta which is going to be crucial.

I think that the packers have gotten hot at exactly the right time and I think they'll win in Dallas, in fact I think they'll do so convincingly, regardless of missing Nelson. Their secondary is bad and really the giants receivers have only themselves to blame for not exploiting it, and I think Dallas will do better against them. Their main objective should be to run run run and keep Rodgers off the field, because i expect him to continue burning the NFC to the ground every chance he gets.

Hope the Texans can keep it competitive but I just don't think they have any serious scores in their offense.

Pitt and KC has the makings of a really great game. Don't like to call it, I guess it depends if smith can create chances and play aggressive, because we know Ben will do exactly that. Just think the Steelers crazy good running game will be insurmountable, especially if they get an early lead. Think it's going to be Pittsburgh going through. Would like to see Kansas make a big step forward though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Going for Seahawks,Patriots, Chiefs and Packers to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Patww79 wrote: »

I imagine you wont have to stay up to the end of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I actually think Houston could keep it relatively close - under 10 going into the last 5 minutes maybe. Their D is legit

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Bateman wrote: »
    I actually think Houston could keep it relatively close - under 10 going into the last 5 minutes maybe. Their D is legit
    Patww79 wrote: »

Not a chance. Their offence is just outright terrible. Unless the Pats Offense don't show up, they're gonna win by 14+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭coco0981

Ya but how long is that defence going to be on the field. Could be a long game for them if the offense keeps going 3 and out. Even the best defenses get tired

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

It will come down to what the Texans offense can do. If their offense gets stuffed by the Pats then that Texans defense will tire out and the Pats will win comfortably I think but this is a more experienced offense since week 3 and I think it will be closer than the spread suggests it will.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

For the moment it looks like Ben will be ready to go on Sunday. He did the press conference after the Dolphins game in a boot as a precaution. He said he aggravated an old fracture though and has since removed the boot as it was unnecessary.

That the injury occurred on the final play when he should not have been in there makes it worse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I don't think the game will be as comfortable for the Pats as people are making it out to be, it'll be a much tougher game than spread says.

I have the Pats winning but not covering the spread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Falcons, Pats & Chiefs for me... As a Cowboys fan I'm struggling on that game though, can see it going either way, genuinely think Dallas are the better team & if they turn up will win despite GB's impressive form of late, but having a rookie QB in his first post season game is always going to be a risk, so I'll hope for the best & fear the worst.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Thats the story of the Texans season. Kick away on 4th and wait for defence to get ball back. Repeat.

Texans will not get the easy ride they got against the Raiders and if Osweiller doesnt go beyond passing to Miller to run, the game will be well over by the half. Coaching staff will know that so I think theyll have to go for it to Hopkins and Fuller more if were to have any chance.

That said, Go texans and I think they'll beat the spread in the first half at least.

'Brocksborough' 

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Thats the story of the Texans season. Kick away on 4th and wait for defence to get ball back. Repeat.

Texans will not get the easy ride they got against the Raiders and if Osweiller doesnt go beyond passing to Miller to run, the game will be well over by the half. Coaching staff will know that so I think theyll have to go for it to Hopkins and Fuller more if were to have any chance.

That said, Go texans and I think they'll beat the spread in the first half at least.

'Brocksborough' 

I would assume patriots are going to stack the box on defense and force Osweiler to throw the ball. Don't think any Texans fan could be optimistic about how that will turn out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

coco1981 wrote: »
    I would assume patriots are going to stack the box on defense and force Osweiler to throw the ball. Don't think any Texans fan could be optimistic about how that will turn out

Ive watched too many games this season to go on with my normal predictions. I may as well try and enjoy it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Jordy Nelson is declared out of Sunday with multiple rib fractures - per Ian Rapoport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,384 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'll be interested to see how dax and Elliot and the cowboys as a team handle the big occasion. I mean if the first couple of series go three and out and the packers start like they finished against the Giants.

Then I think we'll see if the team and the two rookies in particular are up to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,605 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I think the Cowboys will win comfortably in the end. They are better across the board.

• Advertisement

So who do people WANT to win the games, and ultimately the SB? I suppose a rational person would consider what two teams are best and most likely to provide the most entertaining Super Bowl for a neutral. But I decided to go another route and arbitrarily rank them from team I hate most to team I hate least. Based on that rubric, I'm up for Kansas, Houston, Atlanta, and Dallas.

However, on another ranking system, I have ranked the teams according to a scale. Like with the preference list, the bottom of the scale is Green Bay, and the remainder are ranked according to how likely they are to beat Green Bay.

I'm a petty man in some ways, a small, petty man.

According to this scale, I'm up for Pittsburgh, New England, Atlanta, and Dallas.

Who are other neutrals shouting for, and what small-minded sour grapes have informed your decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

I wonder would any bookies give you odds on Romo playing on Sunday at any stage. Playing devils advocate here, but how long do you leave an All-Pro QB like Romo on the bench if your rookie QB is struggling in his first ever play-off game...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm rooting for Kansas City, Atlanta, New England and Green Bay this weekend.

Atlanta and Green Bay because of who they are playing. Kansas City because I'd love to see Alex Smith in a Superbowl and New England because, well the'll win anyway and I've seen enough of the Texans for this season.

Shouting for

Seahawks obviously
    Green bay because who doesn't want to see another week of Aaron Rodgers
    Texans because the patriots are the patriots
    Kansas cos I backed them at 20/1 to win it out

ScummyMan wrote: »
    I wonder would any bookies give you odds on Romo playing on Sunday at any stage. Playing devils advocate here, but how long do you leave an All-Pro QB like Romo on the bench if your rookie QB is struggling in his first ever play-off game...

If it's going really badly at the half I think they'll put in Romo alright. I'm betting if he has more than two interceptions, they switch him out anyway, if his passes are just not accurate it would be interesting. Anyway nerves haven't really been an issue til now, think that will remain the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Who are other neutrals shouting for, and what small-minded sour grapes have informed your decision?

I too am a petty man, and with my team bounced since week 14 that's all I have to cling to.

NFC
    Cowboys v Packers....Not a fan of the Cowboys, and absolutely hate that Elliot feeding thing he does after his linemen plough the defense 5 yards down the field for him....so I'm supporting the Packers.

Seahawks v Falcons.....Seattle have forever seared a special place of hatred in my heart after the Super Bowl shellacking we took from them in 48, so I have to pull for Atlanta, and in truth, I like their downfield passing attack.

Picking between the Packers and the Falcons, I'll take Falcons, I like to see the Super Bowl wealth shared around and Green Bay have 4 already.

AFC
    Steelers v Chiefs.....I'd love to see the Steelers offense finally click, and the dink and dunk Chiefs offense does nothing for me, by god it's efficient though.

Texans v Patriots....I'm actually going to be rooting for the Patriots here, not a first, but a rare occurrence. I hate the way the Texans dragged themselves out of the south with a negative points differential, payed big money for a free agent QB flop, rode him, then benched him, then had to reinsert him into the lineup....it seems no matter what they do wrong they keep on marching....lose 27-0 to a third string rookie making his debut? onwards and upwards!

Steelers v Patriots...I'll again have to take the Steelers. The style of their offense excites me more, and 16 years on, I've seen enough of the playoff Patriots to last a lifetime.

Pettiness Super Bowl
    Steelers v Falcons.....I normally try to support the AFC team in the Super Bowl, but the Steelers have an embarrassment of Lombardi trophies while the Falcons have nowt to show for their endeavors over the years....so it looks like I'm a Falcons fan for the duration of the playoffs anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Oh he definitely goes in if Prescott is playing badly, the Cowboys know they have a great shot this year, and they aren't going to risk that at the expense of hurting the rookie's feelings. After all, isn't that exactly what backup quarterbacks are for (at least, that's what they used to be for)

What will be interesting, is, if that were to happen, and Romo came in, played well, saved the game, who would start in the NFC Championship game.

**comma key is worn down on my keyboard**

If it's going really badly at the half I think they'll put in Romo alright. I'm betting if he has more than two interceptions, they switch him out anyway, if his passes are just not accurate it would be interesting. Anyway nerves haven't really been an issue til now, think that will remain the case.

Would be awful harsh on Dak to swap him unless he is completely terrible. Romo must be lacking in game sharpness. And let's remember he has a bit of a history of choking in the playoffs

poldebruin wrote: »
    Not a fan of the Cowboys, and absolutely hate that Elliot feeding thing he does after his linemen plough the defense 5 yards down the field for him..

Wholeheartedly agree, think I mentioned it earlier in the year. I was a huge fan of his since he won the national championship with OSU, but that celebration... Not to be too down on him, btw, but while most people have him as a shoe-in for OROTY, he actually doesn't even have the best YPC of a rookie RB this year, and I would argue that regardless of his production he was overdrafted.

But he's playing the Packers, so...

http://giphy.com/gifs/nfl-football-dallas-cowboys-l0MYAeAmySoRMsXn2

• Advertisement

Breaking news: due to stormy conditions the chiefs vs steelers game has been move to 8:20PM ET

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Ah feck, late night Sunday so.

Ah feck, late night Sunday so.

Yeah and it's going to be a long day Sunday with not 6pm game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

I will be cheering on the Pats in their game but overall I'm praying for some drama in all the games this weekend.

Wildcard weekend was so tame.

Normally these two weekends are my favourite sporting weekends of the year so this one has a lot of making up to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

That re-schedule is a right pain in the arse, my parents coming over for dinner tomorrow night so will actually have to talk to them now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Looks like I'm going to be relying on GamePasss to have the condensed game uploaded by 7am Monday morning. Something they've been awful at doing this season.

That re-schedule is a right pain in the arse, my parents coming over for dinner tomorrow night so will actually have to talk to them now

Chiefs-Steelers is Sunday not tomorrow. Ignore the parents away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Hate Big Ben, so Chiefs.
    Hate winners, so Texans.
    Hate Cowboys and Packer, so don't care.
    Hate Carroll and Wilson, so Falcons.
    Actually, that would be a poxy AFC game.

I will settle for Falcons beating the Stelers in a shootout in SB LI.

I'm a Bears fan but I'd love to see GB-NE in the Superbowl. Two superb QBs in the biggest stage.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm a Bears fan but I'd love to see GB-NE in the Superbowl. Two superb QBs in the biggest stage.

You'll lose your Bears membership card with posts like that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,605 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Would be tops alright. The 2014 game was ace, especially considering how conservative the teams played.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

Looking forward to this game. watching as a neutral. looking for a good battle.

First replay looks bad for Ifedi.

Atmosphere at this is electric. Impressive opening drive here, Rawls has a great eye for the holes but his little jinks that make him so hard to tackle are what make him fun to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Boo ya Jimmy!

Great opening drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Better first half for the Seahawks than last years divisional game already!

Encouraging opening drive. Took a lot of time off the clock which will be important. Don't let Ryan get into rhythm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Fantastic response from the Falcons. Could be a good one this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement