Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Inline skating

• 09-01-2017 6:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here skate?
    I used to skate a lot when I was a kid and was pretty good at it, I learned on those quad rollers that you strap to your shoes, but I also skated on ice quite a bit (I was born in Holland and it's pretty much a regular winter pastime).
    Anyway, after some of the kiddies in the family got inline and roller skates for Xmas last year, I thought I'd treat myself to a nice pair, just for fun but also so I could teach them how to skate. So I bought a pair of skates that were on sale, 54% off, for around €70 including shipping, they're what you'd call medium range, 80mm wheels, ABEC 7 bearings, aluminium frame, all those things you get in a better than cheapo skate. Not a premium brand or anything, but okay.
    I just rolled around our house a bit when I first got them, indoors, just to get used to them a bit, and the following day I took it outside, a bit nervy at first, but wouldn't you know it, it all just came flooding back to me.
    I'm sprinting, doing powerslide stops, jumps, the lot, its great fun. I'm also leaning some new stuff through following this guy's video's on youtube, Bill Stoppard, good tips and tricks and a lot of dry humour.
    What I'd like to know is, do any of you skate? and if so, where?
    EDIT: It's worth watching the whole of the video, it's entertaining. Bill's a nice guy and teaches well, and if you're interested in this it's well worth subscribing to his channel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 Patricia_

Hi,

I started skating a year ago and would love to have company. I'm not as good as you, but I'm probably intermediate. Also watch that guy on YT, started watching him in Australia (where everyone has a pair of skates, unlike here :)). Where are you based ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Hey, sorry for the delay, I'm in County Wexford, but I kinda live in the sticks, and have to travel a little bit to be able to skate around here. (tractors, muddy roads..) I skate in housing estates, car parks, anywhere there's a decent surface really. If you're in Dublin though, check out the "inline skating club ireland" Facebook page, they run events, I think they do a fairly regular Friday skate in a group. I'd love to join but I don't want to travel that far to skate for a couple of hours..

Advertisement