Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marketing,Innovation and Technology

• 09-01-2017 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Just doing my CAO and looking at courses,MInT in DCU caught my eye but I'm just wondering if it's more business sided or computer/technology sided? I'm really more business marketing sided but I also want to have that edge on my degree but I don't think I'd enjoy it if it's more technology sided then business strategy/marketing if you know what I mean,any feedback is appreciated
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LC2017

I have 2 friends doing it and they both said that it's more on the marketing side of things than tech, but there is a mixture. It's not business strategy, don't expect to come out with a business degree. Most people end up working in marketing

• Company Representative Posts: 31 Verified rep DCU Student Help

Hi, if you would like to talk to us or perhaps a student on the MINT course you can get in touch with us on studenthelp@dcu.ie

Jonny

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Graduated from this course in 2012. Really enjoyed it, definitely more towards marketing in my time there but certain parts of technology were studied, innovation is also an important part of it.

Most of our graduating class are working in marketing but some are not. Pick your intra year company wisely as the experience can really stand to you when you have graduated and are on the look out for a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 achieveMInT

Hi,
    I'm a current first year student of MInT, like you I had the same query about the course. I thought that the technology side of MInT would overshadow the marketing side of the course, but from my experience so far, the course is much more marketing-orientated.

So far, I have studied:
    Communication Skills (We learned about report writing, presenting skills, the importance of body language in presenting etc.)

Creativity and Discovery ( We are learning different approaches we can take to solve problems, and come up with new ideas to benefit, and keep marketing campaigns for example, fresh, exciting and successful)

Marketing

Economics

IT Skills ( This is so far the most tech based module, however it is only ran for one semester, and there is nothing too difficult about it, it is mainly teaching the basics like excel, word etc. But also our lecturer is great in showing us really interesting facts about the internet and the usefulness of it in business and marketing. He shows a lot of useful websites we can use once working in a business environment to give us a competitive edge.)

Market Feasibility
    Research ( this involves some aspects of tech, in the development and analysation of surveys, but that is all.. I think this course will teach us very useful skills needed while working in the marketing and high tech environment)

Marketing of High Tech Products and Innovations ( we learn the basics of marketing, but how to apply them to the ever-dvelopping world of high tech, we learn how we can adapt certain marketing strategies to work for high tech products, we also learned and did an exercise about customer relationship management, and how we can use social media etc to improve our relationships with our customers, and essentially, our businesses. This is personally my favourite module, I find it really beneficial and interesting.)

Modern Technology ( The first time I saw the name of this module, I feared it would be very high-tech, with coding, and learning about how computer software etc works, but it is not what I expected. We've learned about climate change, electric cars, how our ears hear sound, how sound is recorded, how our eyes see images etc.,so it is a very diverse module which teaches the basics and the evolution of technology.)

To sum up, so far, I feel that the course is much more marketing based, with a twist of technology give an edge to your degree. Personally, I am so glad I have picked this course and I am thoroughly enjoying it. Also, I know that with the skills I am learning and improving on, and with the Intra year to use these skills, this degree will offer great job opportunities.

I am writing on behalf of my group for a student project in the module, marketing of high-tech products and innovations. None of the opinions expressed above are the opinions of DCU.

I hope I have helped answer your question, if you have any other questions, or if you would like to hear more about the assignments and projects of a first year mint student, please feel free to ask! Alternatively, for more of our opinions on the course so far you can visit our social media pages, such as our Instagram, which we will be updating regularly with business and MInT related content.
    Instagram: achievemint2017

Thank you,
    Caoimhe from AchieveMInT.

Advertisement